It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why worship?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 10:00 PM
link   
I just can't seem to understand why it seems God has to be worshiped and thought of as the only, biggest and baddest god?
It seems to be such a human concept.
If I was God and made humans to befriend and I knew I was the only one around and there were no other, then I wouldn't be concerned with the thought of being worshiped by those I want friendship with...
Seems to me that the god portrayed is one pissed off dude!!!
If someone doesnt do as he says he is gonna kill them , send the to hell, kill their babies and who knows what else...
Why is he so mad????
If I owned everything I wouldn't be so angry???
This god has one huge ego, he is a self centered, always after revenge, changes his mind from being happy he created man to being mad he made them...
If he knows everything from beginning to end, then he would have known that man/woman was going to be a pain in the butt.
and how can a god send his own people by the billions to a place I would never want anyone to go to, no matter how pissed I was...
I can go on and on, but I think you get my drift...
I believe in God but not one like the one portrayed in some religions...
Your thoughts...
Blessings

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by oryan
I just can't seem to understand why it seems God has to be worshiped and thought of as the only, biggest and baddest god?

Because HE IS. He's not just the biggest and baddest, but rather the ONLY GOD there is.

Anything that goes against his word is. Either that or of demons. There's enough of them running around to stock the place two or three times.

Seems to me that the god portrayed is one pissed off dude!!!

He is, but on the same note patient enough to allow us ample time to come to the knowledge of the truth. That's why he's allowing all the garbage that's going on to continue, until that appointed time.

If someone doesnt do as he says he is gonna kill them , send the to hell, kill their babies and who knows what else...
Why is he so mad????

No we killed ourselves. Man has been spiritually dead from the eating of the tree of knowledge on. Only through Jesus Christ can he gain life.

If I owned everything I wouldn't be so angry???

Yes you would. Anyone in their right mind would.

If you created everything (earth) as we know it. Then created beings in your image and gave them dominion over it and somewhere along the way they sold it to the most wicked entity in existence.

You would not be all warm and fuzzy about that.

This god has one huge ego, he is a self centered, always after revenge, changes his mind from being happy he created man to being mad he made them...

A self centered, revengeful GOD does not give his own life, to give the ones that continually slap him in the face a chance at eternal life.

and how can a god send his own people by the billions to a place I would never want anyone to go to, no matter how pissed I was...

He doesn't send anyone there. They send themselves. In no way whatsoever can any blame be cast on him.

You have the choice to go or not to go. It's your choice that sends you there.

I believe in God but not one like the one portrayed in some religions...

The only one that can save you is the one who sacrificed himself for your sins. Not one you make up in your head so that it doesn't offend you.

Edn

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Because people are sheep and they do what there told to do without question?

I don't see the point either, if a god existed and it was a true god it would never require any worship even to the point where it would never even require anyone to believe in it. A loving god would not care for such petty things.

That said, I don't see a problem in thanking something/someone for what they have given you, heck Siddhārtha Gautama if you read this thumbs up on the good work Thats what worship should be like, thats the first time i've ever thanked the man for his hard work in founding Buddhism and it will probably be my last for quite a while, its simply not needed if he were alive today he'd tell me there is no need to thank him and if I can expect that from a mere human id expect no less from any gods that exist.

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Edn
Because people are sheep and they do what there told to do without question?

People must include me in that statement. I can tell you that I have done nothing without question. Everything I've been told, raised on and everything else, I've questioned.

Originally posted by Edn
I don't see the point either, if a god existed and it was a true god it would never require any worship even to the point where it would never even require anyone to believe in it. A loving god would not care for such petty things.

What is your definition of loving? He didn't create robots. He loved and respected us enough to make us with a will of our own.

You're doing the same as the OP. Making a "god" of your own, or to put another way, an image in your own mind. In a sense.

Originally posted by Edn
That said, I don't see a problem in thanking something/someone for what they have given you, heck Siddhārtha Gautama if you read this thumbs up on the good work

What good will he do you on judgment day?

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 10:53 PM
link   
I totally agree with being thankful and I am...
Who gave the " Holy Bible " the authority on who God is?
God made the rules knowing they would be broke, so is he sadistic knowing BILLIONS of people would go to a place that as I said I wouldn't even send my worst enemy to but a " Loving " god has no problem with doing so???

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Who gave the " Holy Bible " the authority on who God is?

He did.

God made the rules knowing they would be broke, so is he sadistic knowing BILLIONS of people would go to a place that as I said I wouldn't even send my worst enemy to but a " Loving " god has no problem with doing so???

Did he do it to us, or did we do it to ourselves?

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 11:03 PM
link   
"He did" is not good enough.....

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 11:08 PM
link   

"He did" is not good enough.....

It may not be good enough for you, but it certainly is good enough for him.

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Maybe I should say...How do you know " He Did "????
How do you know " He " approves of that version of him????
You must really have proof that he is what you say he is...
These days you don't have a bunch of chickens just believing any hear say or unproven fanatics, with unproven facts....
It must be well thought out with facts, and not be allowed to leave your brain and reason on the back door step.....
Just saying it's so doesn't work anymore....

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Maybe I should say...How do you know " He Did "????
How do you know " He " approves of that version of him????
You must really have proof that he is what you say he is...

I do. The proof is in me. Not only in me but many others

These days you don't have a bunch of chickens just believing any hear say or unproven fanatics, with unproven facts....

You have no idea.

What you have is a bunch believing what everybody else believes because that's what everybody else believes. Or they believe what they believe because someone with a degree (or more or less than a thermometer) taught it to them as a fact. Or they consider some mess in a book written by some fruitloop with or without the degree(s) within the last few or hundred years, as a fact.

One could say the same thing about the Bible. The only difference is that it's been tried by fire. Not to mention the fact that the word within it has perfected a supernatural change in so so so many, including myself.

It must be well thought out with facts, and not be allowed to leave your brain and reason on the back door step.....

The well thought out facts are in the very book you're slapping around. They were arranged by the mind of GOD. If you'd read them you'd see it, if you have eyes to see.

Just saying it's so doesn't work anymore....

Why should it work? You think maybe the one's saying it's so just may have something you can't prove wrong?

posted on Mar, 20 2007 @ 08:44 PM
link   
if a deity that's the sole example of its omni^3 kind needs worship, it must be very egotistical, insecure, or manipulative

posted on Mar, 20 2007 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
if a deity that's the sole example of its omni^3 kind needs worship, it must be very egotistical, insecure, or manipulative

Or perhaps the worship is not for God, but for us. Prayer is speaking to God. Meditation is listening. When you kneel down and sincerely ask questions (not favors), you learn humility and build a closer relationship to God. Worship not only helps God, but it helps us too. It helps us learn about sacrifice, redemption, humility, and all that good stuff.

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Have you ever combed your hair in the dark? Gotten dressed by merely reaching into your laundry basket at random and slammin' on clothes?

Religion is the grooming of the soul that everyone needs to be connected to the higher power (whatever that is) that guides them.

"I'm not aware of too many things. I know what I know if you know what I mean..."

Religion could be a "smile on a dog" to you, but you'd be worshipping everytime you saw a smiling dog. Worship allows us to confirm and reconfirm that outside of society (which is our day-to-day, outward guiding force) everything will be okay. When we are young, the training wheels for this behavior are our parents. When we get older, we have to have something that becomes our guidance, and our form of "centering" otherwise we'll be destined to follow the way of the flock forever.

Interestingly, in my estimation it is many people's understanding of Bedouin (read Middle Eastern) tribes that they are nomads and have no God. I believe that their understanding through their tribe is so rooted in the cohesive nature of their families and oral histories that outsiders can not perceive that they have a god, though it is clear they have a social structure. And it is because their nomadic behavior uproots them so frequently, the reinforcement of God is required often (does the practice of praying multiple times throughout the day sound familiar....)

In short, worship and the accompanying prayer that goes with it, is necessary if you intend to believe. Belief is not a noun terminal unto itself. It will lead you to the verb, believe. And when you do believe, you have no choice but to reflect...which is, after all, worship with friends.

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheB1ueSoldier

Or perhaps the worship is not for God, but for us. Prayer is speaking to God. Meditation is listening. When you kneel down and sincerely ask questions (not favors), you learn humility and build a closer relationship to God. Worship not only helps God, but it helps us too. It helps us learn about sacrifice, redemption, humility, and all that good stuff.

So are you saying that you can only learn about sacrifice, redemption etc through god and worship??? I find that there are many ways to learn these qualities not only through worship and so therefore negating another need for worshipping a deity. So basically why worship at all if the qualities gained through worship can also be attained through other means without the need of religious worship??

G

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by shihulud

So are you saying that you can only learn about sacrifice, redemption etc through god and worship??? I find that there are many ways to learn these qualities not only through worship and so therefore negating another need for worshipping a deity. So basically why worship at all if the qualities gained through worship can also be attained through other means without the need of religious worship??

G

The fact is, there is no substitute for worship. Everything else falls short of confirming belief (or non-belief) in a higher being/God.

The qualities gained through worship can NOT be attained through other means because we are obtaining our truths through a third person (in law this is known as hearsay) perspective.

We worship (presumably within a group of like minds), God responds to us in ways that make sense to us (presumably religion shows us these ways), and we in turn take this confirmation of our soul's questioning and use it to balance. If anyone thinks they can compile a reasonable facsimile of "god" by cobbling their experiences together based on what society has shown them alone, then they are basing their confirmations of soul reflectivity on flawed logic.

In the end, God is also logical.

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 07:33 PM
link   

So are you saying that you can only learn about sacrifice, redemption etc through god and worship???

No, you can learn about it through many other mediums as well. But as with all things, it is better to learn from the direct source (God) than with third-party sources (Pastors, Priests, etc.)

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 09:39 PM
link   
I have thought of kind of a way breaking down religion to its core components through a series of questions. Keep answers very basic please I don't wan't a biblical lecture, keep your answers down to one or two sentences,

first, what makes you think Jesus died for your sins and not Hitler, everyone dies, what makes you think jesus did it for your sins?

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 09:57 PM
link   

It is a human concept, and any god that demands worship or sends someone to hell (or even creates hell) does not sound like a god at all, but an egotistical dictator.

I do not believe in a god like that, I believe in a loving god that would never send anyone to hell, or punish them, no matter what they did.

[edit on 3/21/2007 by Alien42]

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 10:37 AM
link   

So are you saying that you can only learn about sacrifice, redemption etc through god and worship???

No, you can learn about it through many other mediums as well. But as with all things, it is better to learn from the direct source (God) than with third-party sources (Pastors, Priests, etc.)

But why not learn about God through friendship with God, instead of worship.

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Because that is how society has been conditioned, to be controlled to be spoon fed information so your mind can fufill the illusion you were taught.
People who worship imo are braindead in a sense, I mean who would worship imaginary beings other than mental patients??

top topics

<<   2 >>

join