It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google saves your search history if you're logged in with your google/gmail account!!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 07:45 PM
link   
I've found this out today. All my searches for the past months are saved! I never saw any news article about this.

From now on if I was on gmail, I'm logging off before I search anything on google.

Google:bash::bnghd:

I also found that out when I had google on a projector on the job. So others where able to see my search history when I discovered it.. AAAARRRGGH!!!

[edit on 19-3-2007 by TheBandit795]

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 07:47 PM
link   
I'm deleting my search history right now.

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheBandit795
I also found that out when I had google on a projector on the job. So others where able to see my search history when I discovered it.. AAAARRRGGH!!!
[edit on 19-3-2007 by TheBandit795]

that's embarrassing...

what do you do for a living???

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 07:51 PM
link   
I was teaching an MCSE class at that moment. I'm in the IT business.

Edn

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 08:53 PM
link   
News for you, your search history is already saved indefinitely(or in a more reasonable time line until Google goes bust or until the data is obsolete) they are however only now planning to anonymise information after 18-24 months which imo still isn't good enough.

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Yep privacy is getting harder and harder online like with Javascripts etc. Wouldn't suprised if other email servers do it too.

I guess we have to set everything up ourselves and then some /oh noes.

The very nature of ip is traceable in every packet.

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheBandit795
I was teaching an MCSE class at that moment. I'm in the IT business.

good for you

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 10:10 PM
link   
I noticed this a while back. Do you use the Google toolbar? It has a little indicator that shows you if you're logged in or not. Very handy for reminding you to log out.

[edit on 19/3/07 by Implosion]

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Hello
I am not very smart, well not smart at all with computers.
Are you saying whenever I log into ATS directly from google then google saves any searchs I do?

I don't log into google, its just homepage. I used another one a while ago but the search feature wasn't as good. I changed it when it was alledged google was handing over data to third parties but changed back because there wasn't a better alternative.

Edn

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by NJE777
Hello
I am not very smart, well not smart at all with computers.
Are you saying whenever I log into ATS directly from google then google saves any searchs I do?

No, Google only logs and stores your Google searches (whether your logged in or not) and possibly logs other activity elsewhere on the Google site.

Your ISP (depending on which one you have) is the one that logs your internet activity. There was a recent article I read (not sure where it is ill see if i can find it) about ISP's selling information about where you visit, although apparently the information they sell isn't connected to specific users.

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 11:06 PM
link   
NJE777 if you don't want google to see your IP then you can use a hidden proxy . Just find one on the net.

Or you can use the torpark browser based on FF. (Its free of course)

But whatever you do people no what your ip address is since every packet contains a destination & source address. But you can make it hard for them.

It works both ways though you can trace anybody connected to your pc.

But torpark doesn't work with your ATS login (well it does but you need to disable security settings)

[edit on 19-3-2007 by Selmer2]

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Implosion
I noticed this a while back. Do you use the Google toolbar? It has a little indicator that shows you if you're logged in or not. Very handy for reminding you to log out.

[edit on 19/3/07 by Implosion]

Where in the bar.. what does it look like?

posted on Mar, 20 2007 @ 02:44 AM
link   
Like this:

It's green when you're logged in, and goes grey when you log out.

[edit on 20/3/07 by Implosion]

posted on Mar, 20 2007 @ 02:55 AM
link   
Thanks, Implosion, I found it.

When I turns it on it says I haven't got a google account, tho I use google search every day and earth occasionally. And it works fine without signing in.

So everything is fine I guess.

posted on Mar, 20 2007 @ 03:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by khunmoon

When I turns it on it says I haven't got a google account

Google account is for Gmail

posted on Mar, 20 2007 @ 04:26 AM
link   
Although this is no surprise it is still disturbing. To expect privacy online is rather ignorant, even if you have some tricks up your sleeves. I guess my dirty laundry is out there for someone to buy.

posted on Mar, 20 2007 @ 04:42 AM
link   
Tor for the truly paranoid. Get it, and no one can track you.

posted on Mar, 20 2007 @ 07:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Implosion
Google Toolbar has a little indicator that shows you if you're logged in or not.

No offence, but I don't think that's the wisest action to take.

The Google Toolbar is like spyware. It records all the sites and pages you visit, not just the searches.:shk:

posted on Mar, 20 2007 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Google keeps a record of all search inquiries whether you are a member of gmail or not.

posted on Mar, 20 2007 @ 01:29 PM
link   
There was a news article about this the other day. It seems they log ip addresses along with the search so given enough searching they would know who you are even without an account. What TheBandit is pointing out is that if you're logged into a google account, not only can they know, you (or someone else on your computer) can see what you've been searching for. (SpankGrannyWithAYardStick.com)

You can disable the search history saving in your account settings.

blogs.mediapost.com...

Last Wednesday, Google announced that it plans to begin erasing personally identifiable information about searchers within 18 to 24 months after it’s gathered it. Potentially, this could be a real victory for the cause of online privacy. But I also wonder how much of the move is motivated by Google’s PR concerns.

If they're being honest they ditch the ip search match after a couple of years.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join