It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can we be at the top of the food chain forever?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2003 @ 11:01 PM
link   
As for as I know no one is superior to humans? Right?

Before, there used to be dinosaurs that posed a threat for us, now there is a no one.

Can we always be at the top of the food chain? Under the conditions that nothing threatens our existence like a comet attack or something.

Nature is constantly changing, right? Can a species evolve that would be superior than us?

If that happens, would it threaten our existence?

And how long will it take for that to happen? Noting that no one threatens them and their environment isn't affected by our pollution!

And any ideas how they could be superior to us?

[Edited on 24-12-2003 by surfup]

posted on Dec, 24 2003 @ 11:02 PM
link   
hmmm. I don't know. Throw us in the water with a Great White and my money is NOT on us.

posted on Dec, 24 2003 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by surfup
Before, there used to be dinosaurs that posed a threat for us, now there is a no one.
[Edited on 24-12-2003 by surfup]

Actually, dinosaurs died out 65-67 million years ago, the first hominids didn't show up until around 4 million years ago, so dinosaurs were never a threat to humans.

I'd say it's feasible for another species to take precedence on the planet. Insects haven't had their day as top dog yet. I think it's probably diseases that will be on top of the food chain next.

posted on Dec, 24 2003 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by kaoszero
Actually, dinosaurs died out 65-67 million years ago, the first hominids didn't show up until around 4 million years ago, so dinosaurs were never a threat to humans.

Sorry, I meant mammals.

Is there a chance for a new species to evolve in about 2000 years?

If not what is the minimum amount of time it takes for a species to evolve?

I'm not really into evolution.

posted on Dec, 24 2003 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Only meat eaters are at the top of the food chain. Vegetarians are food. When you are out hunting big foot, chupacabras, or ordinary mountain lions it is important that you have meat on your breath to lessen the chances of becoming a meal.

posted on Dec, 24 2003 @ 11:28 PM
link   
I'd for a dolphin to be President right NOW!

Man is the only animal that so routinely hunts and kills its own kind. We're "the tops" alright.

posted on Dec, 24 2003 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Let's get back to the question. Where are all the geniuses?

posted on Dec, 24 2003 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Our technology is why we are at the top of the food chain, leave a man out in the forest w/o nothing and a bear, mountain lion, pack of wolves, ect will tear him up.

posted on Dec, 24 2003 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by jrod
Our technology is why we are at the top of the food chain, leave a man out in the forest w/o nothing and a bear, mountain lion, pack of wolves, ect will tear him up.

Technology was invented by us after we came out of the woods. We survived through all the dangers in the woods and came out alive!

posted on Dec, 24 2003 @ 11:38 PM
link   
I am thinking that some sort of squid will be the next animal on top. They have very large brains and they will have their day.

posted on Dec, 24 2003 @ 11:40 PM
link   
man simply has the infinate power to create.
like the previous post said, get man in a situation with a wild animal and the tables may turn.

posted on Dec, 24 2003 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Once again the topic is can be in this place forever and not what will take over us!!!

Yes or No.

posted on Dec, 24 2003 @ 11:46 PM
link   
no one can answer that then

posted on Dec, 24 2003 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by NaturalDisaster
no one can answer that then

How about educated guesses?

posted on Dec, 24 2003 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Being at the top of the food chain and being the ruling species of the planet have nothing to do with each other. What you eat does not determine how smart, wily, or adaptable to varying environmental conditions you are. We could be in the middle of the food chain and still rule the planet.

posted on Dec, 24 2003 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by groingrinder
Being at the top of the food chain and being the ruling species of the planet have nothing to do with each other. What you eat does not determine how smart, wily, or adaptable to varying environmental conditions you are. We could be in the middle of the food chain and still rule the planet.

You don't seem to understand my question.

But can a species evolve from us, be superior to us and can lead to extinction?

[Edited on 25-12-2003 by surfup]

posted on Dec, 25 2003 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Why do you keep changing the parameters of your question???

posted on Dec, 25 2003 @ 12:04 AM
link   
We are HUMANS anything that evolves from us will be HUMAN so nothing can evolve from us, then make us extinct.

posted on Dec, 25 2003 @ 11:55 AM
link   
The dolphins are gonna take over!

We used to be skilled enough to live out in the woods, but with the de-evolution of man there are very few left who could still live out in the wild.

posted on Dec, 25 2003 @ 12:08 PM
link   
The african tribesmen are on the top of the foodchain alright.
In some tribes they have a ritual where a boy has to kill a lion, armed only with a spear, to become a man.

But if you place a standard european person, armed with a spear, against a lion... the man MIGHT get lucky and kill the lion.

But a human is not on the top without any weapons.. you could hardly kill a small deer with your bare hands.

*edit*

But then again a single wolf would be in almost as poor situation as a human would. It needs the rest of the pack to kill its prey, unless it can survive on smaller animals like rabbits and such.

Many humans.. working together.
If you have 10 people, and work together to kill some bigger animal you could actually have a chance in killing it.

[Edited on 25-12-2003 by Outtis]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join