It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

X-48B Blended-Wing Body model preps for flight tests

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 02:27 PM
link   
I haven't heard about this project for a while, but it seems a 10% scale model is preparing for flight tests: CNN Money

X-48B BWB Factsheet
One advantage Boeing engineers say the concept has over conventional aircract is that it's about 30 percent more fuel efficient than an airplane of similar size that carries the same payload.

"We believe the BWB concept has the potential to cost effectively fill many roles required by the Air Force, such as tanking, weapons carriage, and command and control," said Captain Scott Bjorge, AFRL’s X-48B program manager.

Industry says a blended wing body military aircraft could be in service within 10 to 15 years, if testing and program funding go well. Studies suggest that BWB aircraft, configured for passenger flight, could carry from 450 to 800 passengers and achieve fuel savings of over 20 percent.

posted on Mar, 20 2007 @ 04:40 PM
link   
You can see some nice photos of the aircraft here:

www.dfrc.nasa.gov...

It will be interesting to see how it flies. We probably wont see a full-scale BWB airplane for quite a few years.

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Hey wow, I haven't seen those pics before, thanks for the link. Unfortunately it will take a while before they'll be put into service, but with the current fuel prices it might be earlier than expected.

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 10:58 PM
link   
I think this style of aircraft has its place...But its disappointing when you hear stories from Nasa or Boeing or someone, that this is how you will fly in 2030. I mean seriously, they are actually thinking that people will be fine with still going sub-sonic in 2+ decades.

Once Lockheed (or someone else perhaps) does get passed by the FAA to fly supersonic over land because of their quiet boom tech...then I fully expect people to be going around mach 2 by 2030.

posted on Mar, 24 2007 @ 01:06 PM
link   
I just ran across an article in popsci website about a bunch of university students that de research into a BWB concept recently and they even got a concept sketch. Its also only 63 decibels at takeoff, half that of a normal airliner.

Chief among them is the airframe. The faster a plane flies, the louder it roars. So Graham and his group designed the SAX-40 with a blended-wing body, a concept that jettisons the tube-and-wing approach for a tailless, triangular structure. That shape provides extra lift, enabling the plane to fly more slowly during takeoff and landings. It also saves a significant amount of fuel, getting some 35 percent more passenger-miles per gallon than a Boeing 777.

link; www.popsci.com...

[edit on 22/08/06 by Canada_EH]

new topics

top topics

join