It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IMPORTANT: New Board Code Update: Thread Display

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Optimized Thread Code

The code that displays the threads has been completely rewritten and optimized for performance... there will be some minor changes and possibly a couple small bugs.

We've received some sporadic complaints of trouble with site timeouts when attempting to view a thread. This has been potentially tracked to the some legacy XMB code used to query and format the threads into pages for display.

Anyone familiar with discussion board code is aware of the multiple nested templates used to build the page content and HTML data into a single variable in the output buffer. While this results in very "clean looking" and organized code, it's often not the most process efficient system.

The entire system was recoded with minimal variables on-the-fly output. In some testing, it looks as though the new code is about twice as fast, even for the reduced-content non-member pages.

If you encounter what you think might be a bug in the new thread display, please post it here.

Thanks

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 12:30 PM
link   

cool...

but, did the mini-profiles really slow down ATS

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Always seemed nice and fast to me,

But a speed increase is never a bad thing!

[edit on 19-3-2007 by Burgess]

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 12:44 PM
link   
So we won't have post bars anymore then? oh well, I quite liked them.

BTW, on the thread that you closed SO, it still shows up the reply and quote links, even though it is locked.

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 12:47 PM
link   
i miss my "tinwiki editor" medallion

EDIT:

never mind, its back...

[edit on 19-3-2007 by they see ALL]

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Wow
interesting, but now is the bar eventualy coming back or should we forget the bar completely?

"The bar does not exist, It has never existed, you just imagined that you had a bar."

I mean changing the color of Member, or whatever is more of a cosmetic thing, right? or does this somehow link to the change in the code?

Eh as long as this site still has the great content that it does. I suppose a bar and member color doesnt really matter much.

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 01:24 PM
link   
But I liked my bar

And there goes my dream of a black bar.

I figured I would of had it by 2010.

[edit on 19/3/2007 by enjoies05]

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 01:24 PM
link   
The specific post links that normally drop you down the page to the post ID seem to cause the page to drop just slightly.

Example link

Three cheers for SO, it's been fixed!

[edit on 3/19/07/19 by junglejake]

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 01:32 PM
link   
I seem to have contracted the dreaded

Perpetually Blinking U2U of doom .

Not sure if it's related.

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Did you try deleting or saving U2U's in your inbox? That might fix it.

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Ok, problem fixed, by saving my last u2u.

Must have been in my box as the changes were made?

thanks, e'

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 02:18 PM
link   
I miss the bar too, at least I was looking forward to when mine would eventually break.

Good work though, it does seem a lot "snappier."

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 02:45 PM
link   
The new "post bar" is looking pretty sweet

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 02:46 PM
link   
I like the old one better but it's not that big of a deal

Site keeps getting better and better

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 03:05 PM
link   
The new bars are nice, and I don't mean to seem unenthusiastic about them but... how do I break it? It looks as if these ones are all the same, except for in length, and therefore impervious to the old weapons (tons of applause). Just add a glitch of some kind... like allowing it to grow without limit until it engulfs the entire width of the screen.

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Vagabond
The new bars are nice, and I don't mean to seem unenthusiastic about them but... how do I break it? It looks as if these ones are all the same, except for in length, and therefore impervious to the old weapons (tons of applause). Just add a glitch of some kind... like allowing it to grow without limit until it engulfs the entire width of the screen.

they're not all the same, look above you, enjoies has a small bar.
Everyone point and laugh at enjoies and his small bar

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Yes, I liked the old one better, this one doesn't really do much. Although it looks like the full length is achieved with about 20,000 posts judging by Gazrok's.

[edit on 19-3-2007 by apex]

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 03:19 PM
link   
I hvae supported every major update on ATS, be huge like dark matter or little things..

But I don't like the new bar at all...and I don't mean to complain.

Its just, I like the old bar, it showed not only your level of activity but your quality by how many applauses you get.

Now, every one is grey and bright red, how do you display your applauses now that every one looks the same.

Not only that, but I have about 2,000 more post then someone new right? .. but my bar is so little you could hardly tell and think I was some kinda noob!

Not only that, but I was close to the "3m" level on my bar, making it reder! Now im bright red and grey.. its just a display thing to me, shows your activity.. this new bar is generic..

But good work anyways, the bar is my only problem and I suppose im just complaining..

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Hmm.. I've supported every update too, but I have to say the old layout looked much nicer and more attractive than this. Surely optimized code doesn't need to look so much different.

The old mini titles were nicer too, and my avatar showed up better before.. *whine whine whine*

[edit on 19/3/07 by SteveR]

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 03:44 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join