It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What factors helped to win and prolong WW2?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Since this subject has such a diverse range of opinion I wanted to see what you ATSers had to say about it. What tactics, equipment, and strategy helped to win the War, in your opinion? What were the worst blunders we made? Obviously I am interested in hearing both sides of the issue, hopefully without excessive bias

Here's a couple of my thoughts to start.

One of the most overlooked factors was the use of the DUKW. This vehicle alone improved Allied logistics and troop transport better than anything else. Mass produced, with a rating of 50 mph on land, 6 mph in water, and a range of 354 km and 80 km respectively. What a vehicle! And hardly ever mentioned

Biggest blunder the Allies ever made was to launch bombing raids on German industry. Data suggests that if we had focused on their energy infastructure instead and targetted power stations Germany would of ground to a halt in '42, at least.

[edit on 19/3/07 by SteveR]

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 12:14 PM
link   
The weather on the German eastern front was the major weapon the Russians had, there's absolutely no doubt about it. I think the successful Allied aerial attacks of key military positions weakened the Germans enough to defeat them on the western front.

As for the Pacific, the amphibious assaults on various strategic points helped; but, Little Boy and Fat Man won the war against the Japanese..

new topics

join