It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

effects of racing games on teens

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 11:32 AM
link   

People who play car racing video games may be more prone to drive recklessly and get into accidents, according to a study that adds to evidence that video games can influence the behavior of some players.

The study by German researchers published on Sunday examined the effect these games, featuring realistic driving environments with players often racing through city and suburban traffic, affect people who play them.

"Driving actions in these games often include competitive and reckless driving, speeding and crashing into other cars or pedestrians, or performing risky stunts with the vehicle. In short, most actions in racing games imply a very high risk of having an accident or severe crash in a highly realistic virtual road traffic environment," the researchers wrote.

please click this link for full article

(mod edit to reduce copy paste and add link to possible source)

[edit on 20-3-2007 by pantha]

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 01:05 PM
link   
2 things,
what is your personal take on this information??

and I personally think this is bogus research, to make a direct correlation between playing racing games and driving recklessly, would be nearly impossible to make a record of. I think research like this is silly, I mean, I am 20, and I usually speed (within reason) when the highway is clear and open, but other then that I am a very attentive driver.

I have played video games since I got a super nintendo, when it first came out, and have played everything from Mario kart, need for speed underground (the game they probably tested) and grand turismo.

I dont know why, but I am smart enough to realize this is a GAME, the point of GAMES is to have the ability to do whatever you want, with no repercussion it is a FANTASY and is only to be applied to the tv.

Besides, even if there was a direct and clear correlation to gameplaying, and reckless driving, does it not make sense the people who want to play games like these already have the reckless behaviour??

oh well, another BS "experiment" by "researchers" to ban or restrict things that entertain us

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 02:11 PM
link   
which came first: the inclination to drive, umm, dynamically, or preference for certain video games?

i mean if you are somehow drawn to violence, shooters are for you, chances are if you get in contact with them you will like them and stick to them. of course such a personality may lead to violent acts, which is imho a double edged sword, i mean after the holocaust, you'd expect people to understand that the will to fight (back) is highly desireable under certain circumstances, but no, learning from history is apparently a bannable skill.

everyone has his/her preferences, the only ones who don't probably pass as harmless, but will probably be the dullest blade in their respective drawers.

PS: the germans are looking to ban pretty much everything when s hits the f (murphy says it's only a matter of time
)some people with decent instincts and skill will mop the floor with their politically correct counterparts, in both, battle and everyday survival.

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 02:19 PM
link   
All of this talk about how video games affect a teen's behavior is ridiculous in my opinion. I just recently turned 18 years of age and I've played a decent amount of video games in my life. I've played a wide variety of games, including the GTA series the media has a problem with. I also know that about 100% of my friends have played a GTA game some point in their life and I also know that 100% of my friends haven't ran around the streets wailing a gun in the air, pulling people out of cars.

It's just another way of parents trying to blame somebody else but themselves because their child is messed up.

-ONIAG

[edit on 19-3-2007 by Oh NO ITs AL GORE]

posted on Mar, 20 2007 @ 09:11 AM
link   
I do think video games play a minut part in behavior in kids, but not to the point it would cause reckless driving in teens I personally am addicted to project gotham and forza but some kids are more influential when it comes to games, they blur the line between reality and virtual reality, but thank god I dont.

posted on Mar, 20 2007 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Video games can definitely train brains. We used to have soldier just shoot at circular targets during WWII and prior. 70% of our troops hesitated to shoot another human being. After WWII we switched to silhouettes and the hesitation rate dropped to less than 10%. Everything plays with your brain from music to the weather. Why not video games? The military works with video games for training for a reason. Granted, some are more suceptable than others but how do you know if its efecting you until its too late?

Personally, after playing Crackdown too long, I can be seen running through the streets with one of my rifles shouting "Kills for Skills!" and trying to jump from roof to roof downtown.

posted on Mar, 20 2007 @ 09:24 AM
link   
This topic really gets me angry, so excuse me if I get a bit tetchy.

I've played video games since I was 2 and I'm fine, I don't want to go and race a car around the streets because of Project Gotham, I don't want to kill people because of Grand Theft Auto.

Blaming video games is just another way for people to fill blame the actions of people today.

Really, I think it's completely pathetic how people can believe that video games influence people. Sure, they may enjoy what they're doing and think it would be cool doing it in real life, but only people who were completely insane would do it.

People that go and actually do it, in my eyes, are insane and shouldn't be allowed to do something that would easily influence them anyway.

Come on people, see through the crap and realize that throughout history insane behavior has always been blamed on something else, be it music, TV, movies or video games.

It's just another way to 'mask' how deranged human beings can be at times.

posted on Mar, 20 2007 @ 09:37 AM
link   
I* respect anyones opion and I am glad to people with a vioce, but anyway ya just a month ago the militar was at my school with a 18 wheeler that hade a computer game kind of shooting game with every weapon concievable, it just shows how video games can be useful and not a pain.

posted on Mar, 27 2007 @ 06:32 AM
link   
Well I play racing simulators, and I would definately say that these make me significantly more reckless in driving. Playing a game called GTR 2 sparked my interest in Go-Karting, and now, I REALLY push the kart as hard as I can.

One time a guy infront of me span off, so as he got out, I accidently smashed into his leg; breaking it. I just kept driving.

It's just another way of parents trying to blame somebody else but themselves because their child is messed up.

EXACTLY!!!

If a kid plays GTA3 and also wants to kill people, that DOSN'T mean that GTA is at fault; it's the kid & the parents. There is a huge diferance between a simulator, a arcade 'gansta' game, and shooters.

Dan - Can't waiting for his copy of CSS to come so he can boom headshot some more noobs.

[edit on 27-3-2007 by PisTonZOR]

posted on Mar, 27 2007 @ 06:45 AM
link   
I have played video games for well over 20 years,since the glory days when arcades ruled the world.I feel it depends on the person.If the person can't distinguish fantasy from reality then they shouldn't play any type of game. You guys remember way back in the early 90s(I think)when them college kids murdered someone cause they played dungeons and dragons?It wasn't the game it was the person,they couldn't tell fantasy from reality.IMO.As far as racing games go,I believe they actually help hand eye coordination.

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 01:59 PM
link   
I have been playing video games since I can remember, I wasnt lucky like the kids today, old atari and arcade games were what was around. My favorite game was paper boy I friggin loved that damn game, I had a job delivering papers and I didnt throw any purposely through car and house windows. Why? Because I would have had my ass kicked by my dad and mom. It seems the growing trend to blame everything but the dwindling family values in this country. I think children can become decensitized to violence, believe that everything will be ok, all you need to do is push the reset button. Children arent born with societies rules of right and wrong, they need to be taught. Anything from TV to reading is going to have an influence on them. I wouldnt let my kids play grand theft auto, personally I dont see how any parent would allow their child to play that. That, in my opinion is where the problem lies. You need to know what your kid is doing, if junior is in his room building bombs then by god you should be well aware of it. If you are a parent and you see no problem with letting your kids play certain games, to each their own, i believe in absolute freedom. It irks me that it is always something elses fault, video games are just a game, they dont make a person do. A gun is just a tool, they dont make a person kill. Whether the people in the know see the facts I dont know, but it is my belief that it is all part of their plan of total and absolute control over us, under diquise of doing it for our own good. Obviously we are too stupid to make our own decisions, and live our life the way we want to.

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I suspect that the desire to drive fast causes people to play racing games, not vice versa.

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 02:18 PM
link   
true probably
i dont think its the games stop blame the games...the only game that did something "bad to me" was some hentai game that i cant explain why after playing i was like im gonna cry every second without reason and m stomach was hurting WTF
but if u think of it....need for speed porsche made me a phobia of porsches couse i think if i drive a porshce it will spin around the road uncontrolably
other than that i play all the nfs's
and when im learning how to drive at the poligon i still hit the gas at the middle at the turn and try to drift^^
but still as any normal person i **** my pans if i try to do things like in the game so on the game is one thing....ur brain knows u wont die if u hit the car....when ur really in a car u think alot more selfdefensive(:
they should thank the games couse we get to lay some steam on the game...not on the real road....
still....thx nfs most wanted u gave me the inspiration to be the most wanted in my town when i get a car and do 8stars^^

[edit on 31/3/07 by Unisol]

[edit on 31/3/07 by Unisol]

posted on Apr, 1 2007 @ 07:57 AM
link   

It seems the growing trend to blame everything but the dwindling family values in this country. I think children can become decensitized to violence, believe that everything will be ok, all you need to do is push the reset button. Children arent born with societies rules of right and wrong, they need to be taught. Anything from TV to reading is going to have an influence on them
Very well said Gunner36!

top topics

join