It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Think Giant trees & Fying Saucers Might Be The Answer To Climate Control

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Scientists Think Giant trees & Fying Saucers Might Be The Answer To Climate Control

www.cnn.com

Scientists are exploring global warming solutions that sound wholly far-fetched, including giant artificial "trees" to filter carbon dioxide out of the air, a bizarre "solar shade" created by a trillion flying saucers that lower Earth's temperature, and a scheme that mimics a volcano by spewing light-reflecting sulfates high in the sky.

These are costly projects of last resort -- in case Earth's citizens don't cut back fast enough on greenhouse gas emissions and the worst of the climate predictions appear not too far away. Unfortunately, the solutions could cause problems of their own -- beyond their exorbitant costs -- including making the arid Middle East even drier and polluting the air enough to increase respiratory illnesses.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Flying Saucers to create a solar shade? Now I think I've heard of everything. What's the punchline?

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 11:55 AM
link   
I almost spit out my coffee when I read "'solar shade' created by a trillion flying saucers". That's one of the craziest things I've heard since someone suggested detonating a nuclear bomb inside a hurricane.. Although it is positive to have people attempting to think of ways to combat fluxuations in the climate.

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Can you imagine the tenor of the meeting where the worlds best scientists brainstormed to come up with these theories?

Science forum MC: "We would now like to introduce Dr. Doe. The esteemed Dr. Doe has a PHD in Physics, a PHD in Mathemeatics, a Nobel Prize. Dr Doe is here to present his thesis on how to combat global warming. Dr Doe."

*polite applause*

Dr Doe: "Thank you. It is an honor to be standing here before you. As we know, global warming is a reality. The ice caps are melting more than at any time in recorded history. The worlds glaciers are disappearing at an alarming rate. Ultra severe weather patterns. Increased hurricane activity. Measures must be taken immediately to reverse the global warming which is causing havoc all over the planet. It is these facts which bring the ultimate conclusion, and only true answer to this problem.
I suggest that we get 1 trillion flying saucers and have them hang out in the sky to act like a great big umbrella. Yeah. That's some good stuff."

*awkward silence*

MC: "Ummmmm, thank you Dr. Doe................"

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 12:16 PM
link   
I like the Monty Burns blocking out the sun theory. Itll do wonders for the power plants that generate the electricity.

Launching reflective particles into the air isnt anything less than stupid. What do we do when people get respiratory disorders? Or when birds start dying? Or when plane jets start breaking down? Its not like we can just say "oops" and filter the atmosphere to get rid of these particles.

Every plan Ive heard so far to "combat global warming" has been far more disasterous than GW itself.

Whatever happens, GW is making alot of people alot of money.

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 12:23 PM
link   
So, this is makin' me do some thinkin'........ So I says to myself, Self? What is the perfect way to stop global warming? I bet my idea is at least as good as that trillion flying saucers idea.

I think we should stop telling our kids to close the front door. Don't ever say to your kids "Close the Door! I'm not air conditioning the outside!" If everybody cranked their AC up and left the front door open, man that would really help!

Wait! How about this! Instead of a trillion flying saucers, we could get a trillion refrigerators. You know those fancy ones that have ice makers in them. Yep, take those trillion refrigerators up to the north pole and make lots of ice! Those ice caps will be back in no time!

Now that's some good thinkin'!

Man, sometimes I amaze even myself..............

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 02:24 PM
link   
What? The Earth revolves around the sun? That's crazy.
What? Split an atom? That's ridiculous.

I'm not saying that the trillion flying saucer idea is not crazy, but at least people are starting to think "outside of the box". (I hate cliches) Somebody needs to because I do not see the US changing it's ways nor can we expect the emerging economies of China and India to do what we did with coal and oil 100 years ago with "green" technologies now. At least not in time to halt or reverse GW.

[edit on 3/19/2007 by WellSee]

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by WellSee
What? The Earth revolves around the sun? That's crazy.
What? Split an atom? That's ridiculous.

I'm not saying that the trillion flying saucer idea is not crazy, but at least people are starting to think "outside of the box". (I hate cliches) Somebody needs to because I do not see the US changing it's ways nor can we expect the emerging economies of China and India to do what we did with coal and oil 100 years ago with "green" technologies now. At least not in time to halt or reverse GW.

I agree that it's a good thing that they are "thinking outside the box" but these ideas are ridiculous. If these are the ideas they are telling us about, which ones didn't make the cut?

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Can't figure out the edit thing, sorry.

Maybe instead of saying "somebody needs to," I should say "I need to." A little personal resposibility goes a long way to solving many problems.

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 02:39 PM
link   
An Idea that didn't make the cut:

"We could steer a large asteroid towards Earth using the gravity from a satelite to change it's orbit. Upon impact, dust will be sent into the air blocking out the sun and cooling the planet. No more global warming."

Edit for spelling

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by WellSee
An Idea that didn't make the cut:

"We could stear a large asteroid towards Earth using the gravity from a satelite to change it's orbit. Upon impact, dust will be sent into the air blocking out the sun and cooling the planet. No more global warming."

I like that one better than a trillion flying saucers.

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 05:40 PM
link   
In the very early 1900's scientists thought it would take another 100,000 years to acheive manned flight right now I'll believe in anything

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Why do I get the feeling that these "solutions" to global warming are going to be what actually destroys and kills the planet?

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Another ridiculous "solution". Anyone heard of Australian scientists trying to develop a vaccine that would stop sheep from passing gas? Yep,... that's really happening. In fact they have already started testing it on sheep.

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Heres a few ways being investigated as we speak;

- Solar Earth Shield; using small glass disks launched into space to deflect sun rays, therefor cooling the earth down. This is a very expensive way of combating the problem and probably isn't the best way.
news.bbc.co.uk...

- Fleets of yachts that spray seawater mist into the air and increase cloud cover that deflects sunlight away from the earth, thus letting less heat in.
news.bbc.co.uk...

- Launching Sulfur rockets into the stratosphere to form a Sulfur screen. Again deflecting solar rays.
news.bbc.co.uk...

- Artificially increasing sea plant life that converts co2 to oxygen.
news.bbc.co.uk...

- Artificial trees that mimic how normal trees work and decrease co2 in our atmosphere.
news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaptainLazy
Heres a few ways being investigated as we speak;

- Artificially increasing sea plant life that converts co2 to oxygen.
news.bbc.co.uk...

- Artificial trees that mimic how normal trees work and decrease co2 in our atmosphere.
news.bbc.co.uk...

Hey, I have an idea, STOP polluting the atmosphere!

Has anyone thought of that yet.

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Hmmm. I think that 1000 flying saucers to block out the sun is the kind of "outside the box" thinking we need to get a hold of this global warming trend. I fully endorse the idea and would like to donate whatever I can to make this research possible.

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Well the onl way to slow down global warming is to first stop using petroleum right now, followed by aerosols. then the process of reversing the effect must be begun and we must make this process something that everyone takes a part of unwithingly like a car that sucks up bad atmosphere and spews out good atmosphere see where i'm going. so instead of spending all that loot on a stupid idea they can spend it on mine lol

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 09:29 PM
link   

a couple of points i've read from here

- Carbon exists in the Earth's atmosphere primarily as the gas carbon dioxide (CO2).
- Increased concentrations of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere contribute to global warming.
- When the sun is shining, plants perform photosynthesis to convert carbon dioxide into carbohydrates, releasing oxygen in the process.

so trees and all plants absorb carbon dioxide, thereby reducing the amount of greenhouse gases present in the atmosphere. considering that the US Census Bureau projects the total world population to be 6,583,349,687; and that the CIA World Fact Book calculated global land area to be 148.94 million sq km out of a total of 510.072 million sq km. would it be too much of a challenge for each adult individual all over the world to do their part in helping alleviate global warming by planting at least 1 tree a year? Like this one, for example.

Average first year growth is 8 feet, and we have had people tell us they have had up to 15 in the first year.

Source

it can't be that difficult right?
or are we really gonna wait for the government to do it for us?

[edit on 19-3-2007 by toreishi]

[edit on 19-3-2007 by toreishi]

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 10:02 PM
link   
I would plant more Redwood trees.

So guess those science guys were half right.

The saucer solution is too expensive.

And do not think shade is an answer unless they are over the poles.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join