It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Big Spider! What is it?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2007 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Well if they ever find a new species of spider in the Amazon Rainforest or on Mars that are bigger than a cat.That's the day I will need to be locked up in a mental hospital from losing my mind to fear.

Did anyone see Stephen King's movie "It" ? If that spider was real I would freak out.

posted on Mar, 20 2007 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Azazelus
Oh...the animal kingdom is amazing...

We have a bird-eating spider as well...It is not native though...

I have seen a praying mantis eat a mouse...

I've also seen a giant centipede (Scolopendra) catch, and eat, a bat....

I have heard tales of them finding a pumphouse or other moist environment and dwelling by the hundreds....of the larger size mind you....

Heh well i'm not usually scared by spiders, but if I saw some of that stuff I think i'd crap myself!

posted on Mar, 20 2007 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Yea form the looks of it , its a wolf spider.

posted on Mar, 20 2007 @ 11:33 AM
link   
I wouldn't be able to sleep in that neighborhood or city, unless I knew it was dead. You did destroy it didn't you??

Reminds me of the movie Arachnaphobia starring John Goodman.

posted on Mar, 20 2007 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by redheadchick0603
Yea form the looks of it , its a wolf spider.

not a wolf spider...please read the thread before you post...

posted on Mar, 20 2007 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Brock Landers
I You did destroy it didn't you??

Nope and that was last year If its still alive it has to be bigger!

AlBeMeT

posted on Mar, 20 2007 @ 12:03 PM
link   
I'd bet that's a big wolf spider. I have seen some big ones in my area (SE
Nebraska) and the occasional huge 'monsters'.
Most of them will run like hell or get nasty if you threaten them.

Here's a weird but true story: About 15 yrs ago, a friend of mine had a fishing cabin near the Platte river.
There was a species of very large wolf spider that hung out around the area.
They were a very light brown color. I swear these spiders
were so gentle, so docile, I could place my hand near them and they would
often crawl onto my hand and just sit there.

The first spider handling episode came about from a drunken dare. I was teasing a friend of mine who
is terrified of spiders. We both had drank many beers, and he said "If they're so 'harmless', lets see you pick one up!"
After the initial "spider holding", I did it another 15-20 times on different visits to the cabin. (Usually sober)
I was never bitten. I was a tad nervous about one particularly huge spidey, but like always,
he/she just sat there, chilling out on my hand. It was like they enjoyed sitting
there. They sometimes crawled over my fingers, but usually were motionless.

I'll admit to being a little repulsed by spiders sometimes. ( I think it's the way
some of them move) But I wont kill them. If there's one in the house, I'll take em outside and let em go.

posted on Mar, 20 2007 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Googled some images. This looks exactly like the ones from the cabin:

posted on Mar, 20 2007 @ 12:43 PM
link   

It's a Fishing Spider....again, please read the entire thread before saying it is a Wolf Spider....

Yes, they may look similar in some aspects, but they are not the same species....

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 01:03 AM
link   
Earlier today I was reading about one species of spider that if it got cornered by predators it would stand up and lift it's front legs and make a hissing noise.Not sure if it was a Tarantula or fish or wolf spider or even if it's a true story,does anyone know if any spider can make a noise?

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 07:55 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 02:15 AM
link   
Ewwww that Link was just frightening,Did you see the picture of the Camel spider from iraq! That thing chases people at 10 miles per hour and looks bigger than a giant Lobster!It runs after people to get into their shadows!If I saw one of those start to chase me ...I don't know what I would do! And they make noises too! I think it's time to call SG-1 to eliminate them critters!

Here is a full size picture....
www.camelspiders.net...

One web site was trying to sell the eggs with warning instructions about how to prevent hatching...keep away from water,Just like the gremlins movie!

Then it said banned for sale totally outlawed now,they say if they ever migrate North of iraq to rainy areas ,the population would explode.So why dont the U.S. troops just use them big Spiders to go after terrorists and chew there legs off

[edit on 22-3-2007 by mistr_b2]

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 03:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by TJ11240
Buy any bananas lately? When I was down in the Dominican Republic, there was a monster of a spider in the hallway of our hotel. From leg to leg it was 5 inches.

I'm from the Dominican Republic and believe me when I say you saw a small spider in the hotel hallway, because I have seen what I named the mother of all spiders, that beast was about a foot long color so black it looked blueish one of my neighbors chopped it up with a machete. Is it weird that I am incredibly scared of spiders yet find them so fasinating?
Miguelbmx

[edit on 22-3-2007 by miguelbmx]

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 04:28 AM
link   
Ok interesting,I am too freaked out to fall asleep so I was reading all the true stories about soldiers in Iraq\Afganistan out in the Desert areas ,finding these giant Camel Spiders.According to some reports they are just fearless and vicious .You can throw rocks at them and they only get mad ready to attack you as they stand up on there rear legs and hiss at you,Then they jump at you super fast taking a bite out of your leg that hurts like hell ,not right away but later after the spider saliva wears out.Then other reports that they take a bite out of you while you sleep but you can't feel it because of the chemical Saliva,then you wake up with a chunk of meat eaten out of you!I really can't sleep now,nightmares for sure.Then some reports coming from Vegas and south California(not as big though) ,.......They're here!.....Well, not where I live but I won't be visiting those areas of the U.S. if they are some how imported and grown and let loose in those areas!

Oh ya,the story that really freaked me out was the one with the dog barking at a camel spider and it jumped on the Dog's face just like in the movie "Alien".The dog ran off yelping as The giant spider started eating it's face.....shiver.

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 04:33 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 04:37 AM
link   
Yes Ellroy that Link shows the facts,but one fact seems wrong,they say the spider won't jump but according to many witnesses they do indeed jump very high if they want to.

Ok warning this web Link will show 2 videos of the Camel Arachnid that are very disturbing to people afraid of spiders.....
www.camel-spiders.net...

I think I'm done,no more videos.

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 05:49 AM
link   
cool vids. i actually like spiders.
and interesting thing about this camel spiders is that they seem to have 10 legs, not 8.

anyway, we're offtopic here, that spider doesn't look anything like camel spider.

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 08:23 AM
link   
To me, it lokks like one of those camel spiders. The really big ones. But htey say that they r not classafied as spiders.Than what r they...?
peace

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Yes in those last 2 videos they are definitely Camel Spiders and true ,they are not exactly real spiders but still in the Arachnid family like the way Scorpions are. oh yes and true, a bit off topic .The spider in the first post seems to look exactly like a Fishing spider.

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 10:12 AM
link   
take that phot of yours to a zoo especially one that has insect exhibits one of the people there should be able to tell you for sure what your mystery spider is

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join