It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kill the Polar Bear!! -- Animal Rights Activists

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 10:23 AM
link   
This is how they defend the rights of animals by requesting the Polar Bear cub, in a Berlin zoo, be put to death.

Knut Should Be Killed, Say Some Animal Activists

Berlin's polar bear cub Knut is more famous than ever. Even star photographer Annie Leibovitz has been to take his picture. But not everyone loves the little bear. Animal rights activists want him put to sleep because he has been raised on a bottle.

Everyone loves Knut. The three-month-old polar bear born in one of Berlin's zoos has become a star in the German capital and has won hearts the world over. Indeed, the exact date of his first public appearance -- likely to be made later this week -- is the subject of almost as much anticipation as the details of Britney Spears Alcoholics Anonymous love affair. It's impossible not to love the little guy, right?

Well, not quite. Animal rights activists, as SPIEGEL reported Monday, aren't so enthralled with the polar bear baby. They are concerned that Knut, who is being raised by human hand after his mother rejected him, is in danger of losing touch with the bear necessities. Some would like to see him dead.

I wonder how the bear feels....my guess is Knut is enjoying LIFE...

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Poor little baby.

I think they should be worried about themselves losing touch. They're pretty wacked.

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Animal rights activists or no animal rights activists, I am supporting this young polar bear cub's right to survive, he's healthy, in good hands, and has a decent home, hopefully it will grow strong and be able to be released back into the wild in the future.

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 05:54 PM
link   
We want to protect animals .... so lets kill it because it might become tame?

Some animal rights activists are just a bunch of nut jobs. Unfortunately they seem to be the ones that can scream the loudest. I will be the first to say that keeping animals in zoos is wrong but there is no reason to kill this cub. Some times I think they jsut want the shock factor and publicity when they resort to crap like this.

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 11:31 PM
link   
I do not like hearing stuff like this and its just absurd to want to destroy an animal for no logical reason, it isnt food and it isnt suffering so if the zoo wants to keep the animal ALIVE then wth would certain activists think its a bad thing?

posted on Mar, 20 2007 @ 02:34 AM
link   
Well it would make a nice coat if they allowed it to grow full size.

j/k
Actually it's cute as hell...those nuts better watch themselves before it decides to make them dinner.

posted on Mar, 20 2007 @ 03:24 AM
link   
These activists seem to be contradicting their own mission statement.

If Knut is healthy and in a zoo who cares?

These activists obviously don’t have many other things to be worried about. Or maybe there priorities are about as crooked as our politicians.

If I had a vote in the matter I’d say to give the little one a chance.

posted on Mar, 20 2007 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by JacKatMtn
Animal rights activists or no animal rights activists, I am supporting this young polar bear cub's right to survive, he's healthy, in good hands, and has a decent home, hopefully it will grow strong and be able to be released back into the wild in the future.

Unless it has a chance to grow up with other, mature polar bears, it probably doesn't have much of a chance of surviving in the wild.

BUT, there is a place in Canada that is a sanctuary for polar bears. I remember seeing a special on it.

posted on Mar, 20 2007 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Are these the same activists who demanded MTBE be added to our gasoline?

Why does anybody listen to these people? All they do is kill and cause far greater damage than the things they were fighting against.

Ban DDT so more Africans can die, block new power plants in growing countries, block nuclear plants in industrialized countries, load us full of MTBE, ban wind farms because birds will get hurt, drown 100's of dogs because shelters are inhumane, push for trans-fats because saturated fats are bad for you....

I mean, come on! Why do mental patients have such a loud voice?

posted on Mar, 20 2007 @ 01:01 PM
link   
If this Bear becomes tame then it should NEVER be released into the wild. It shouldn't be put to sleep either. It's a sticky situation that has to be dealt with. Bears usually avoid humans. This bear if it becomes tame and is released into the wild might actually seek humans out for food!

Why do mental patients have such a loud voice?

Because the media is driven by ratings and the rantings of the fringe minority amoung the environmentalist movement gets good ratings among certain circles who believe that all enviromentalists and animal rights activists "kill and cause far greater damage than the things they were fighting against."

[edit on 20-3-2007 by sardion2000]

posted on Mar, 20 2007 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Is there a good reason for snuffing the Bear? Are there no Zoos or Animal preserves that could house the Bear? I don't understand where the problem is, unless it's with the activist group, engaging in profound double-think.

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Are these the same groups that say you should not kill an animal for food?!?

They want to kill him, just because he has been raised by humans?!?

[edit on 3/21/2007 by Alien42]

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 10:35 PM
link   
I think someone said it best earlier...

Nut jobs.

Not much else to say really.

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 10:55 PM
link   
i definetly donot think the bear should be put to sleep... just becasue ti cannot go to the wild because of a bollte does not mean his or hers cubs cannot grow up and be realeased... duh! THats so sad. Anyway, if it does not bread suckcessully you can us it as a teaching animals for peoples education. To show them how beautiful these animals are and that we should not kill them. Tehy are a part of nature so they desearve to live a long happy life.

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 10:59 PM
link   

This is how they defend the rights of animals by requesting the Polar Bear cub, in a Berlin zoo, be put to death.

I read the entire article and think its important to include other vital information from it so not to perpetuate BS.

One activist Frank Albrecht has an opinion and it is extended to all Animal Activists?

I am not sure if Graf-Rudolf is an activist, but I am certain he is Director of Aachen Zoo. He has an opinion in the article:

Wolfram Graf-Rudolf, director of the Aachen Zoo, told the newspaper, "I don't consider it appropriate for the species that the little polar bear is being raised on a bottle." The animal will be fixated on his keeper and not be a "real" polar bear, he says. However he feels it is now too late to put Knut out of his supposed misery. "The mistake has been made. One should have had the courage to put him to sleep much earlier."

Apel is an activist and the head of GAPL and he has an opinion in the article too...

Wolfgang Apel, head of the German Animal Protection League, called for Knut to be saved. "Making bears into humans has to stop as soon as possible, but we cannot put him to sleep. He has a right to live."

Although giving Knut a death sentence would likely bring his many fans out on to the streets, baby zoo animals have been killed for the same reason in the past. Two-day-old baby sloth Hugo was put down by lethal injection in Leipzig Zoo at the end of last year, sparking emotional protests.

I just wonder who made the decision to put down by lethal injection the 2 day old sloth? Animal activists or the Leipzig Zoo?

You selected a portion of the article and ran with it. It is important to read the entire article.

all sourced from here

edit to include ref.

[edit on 21-3-2007 by NJE777]

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Ya, but to bad i am lazy. Either way... an animal deserves a chace. Just like people. Pluse i read alot... but to be frank, this jsut makes me mad to see that they but an animal down for gayr easons. sad
peace

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by NJE777

You selected a portion of the article and ran with it. It is important to read the entire article.

I read the entire article and based my quote on the article

Animal rights activists want him put to sleep because he has been raised on a bottle.

I never said ALL animal rights activists, my point is that this bear cub is healthy and has a home, it poses no danger to itself or the community, yet animal rights activist(s) are hoping for an execution, arguing how many activists agree with the verdict, is purposeless, the fact is it is wrong....

[edit on 2007/3/21 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 11:17 PM
link   

I never said ALL animal rights activists

I agree. You didn't. Nor did I read it that way.

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 05:21 PM
link   
I see two - TWO men citing the position stated by the article, and only one of them is advocating putting the bear to sleep, while the other is all "too late now, I guess". The first is a solitary activist, the second is a zoo director

On the other hand, the head of the German Animal Protection League and the director of the German Bear Foundation - both of which can definately be called "animal rights groups" - are standing AGAINST putting the bear to sleep.

"Deny ignorance" my hiney, some people are bathing in it around here.

top topics

join