It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

bullet-proof vest question...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 09:56 AM
link   
I was wondering if you guys could answer a quick question.
I bought a Kevlar vest online a couple of years ago that was supposed to offer level IIIA protection.
The vest didn't come with the extra (and very expensive) clay disks that go into the back, front and side panels.
My question is whether the vest itsself offers enough of a barrier to stop a bullet or whether the ranked saftely level applies to the vest with the inserts.

Thanks

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 08:06 PM
link   
The IIIA vest is good against handguns. It should stop rounds up to a .44 magnum. The chicken plates you refer to are used in addition to the kevlar vest.
These in addition to the 30 layers of Kevlar are designed to stop high velocity rounds (i.e rifle rounds) They are extremely heavy and cumbersome. If memory serves me right the plates are made from a ceramic and not clay. Most of these that were issued to us made there way to surplus stores downtown because we refused to wear them.

So, I say don't worry about them. Most likely if you have one on and someone with a rifle is aiming at you...it wont be the chest they aim for anyway.

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Good point, and thanks for the info. Hope I'll never need to put it on in the first place.

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Also do be sure to check your local laws about the vest because some areas prohibit citizens from possessing body armor. Apparently body armor is yet another area where criminals have screwed things up for the rest of us.

posted on Mar, 20 2007 @ 09:09 PM
link   
a vest is a good thing to have in the most unfortunate event you are in a situation where fire arms are used but remember if struck by a bullet even when wearing a bullet resistant vest ( the real name of bullet proof vests) you can be severely injured even killed ( internal organs can be ruptured by blunt trauma) so while wearing you vests remember the basics cover and concealment and know the difference concealment hides you cover protects you ie.. bushes conceal but bullets will pass through and boulders cover they will deflect or destroy bullets. keep your head down shoot and move.

top topics

join