It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have problems getting replies?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 04:24 AM
link   
I have a love/hate relashionship with ATS. The thing I LOVE about it is it diverse number of viewpoints, it's heavy moderation and it's active membership.

The thing I absolutely hate is going through the trouble of creating a huge long and detailed thread only to have it slip down the recent posts page with not so much as a reply and a few dozen page views. As a member of ATS for almost 3 years, I've had this happen to me countless times and it wasn't until recently that I finally found a remedy to it for the most interesting threads.

Thread Flagging

The process is simple in 2 easy steps.

1. Be discriminating. Don't just post any old stuff, try to post interesting new stuff, or a new take on a subject previously thought to be "old hat".

When a flag gets a certain number of threads within a certain amount of time, it gets put up on the front page so it increases the audience that thread has by a tremendous amount.

2. If you have something you absolutely feel must be important or extremely interesting you can simply ask people to flag it if they like the thread but have nothing to say.

It's as simple as that.

A more detailed description of the thread flagging system can be found in the link below.

The Cunning Use Of Flags For a Better ATS

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 05:06 AM
link   
I know exactly how you feel.

I believe this is because most people tend to look at the first page of the Recent Posts tab as their main course, so to speak.

I bet Skeptic Overlord could confirm this by analysing the number of click throughs the Recent Post Tab gets. Though I'm not sure he would admit it since it may belittle other areas of the site that attract commercial advertising

I'm sure there are quite a few people who do tend to look through ATS by categories i.e. the board home tab.

I too think the move to a system of flagging was an excellent idea, but just like most things a system is only ever as good as its users.

In other words you may find a few threads with lots of flags simply because it's an idea the fits the middle ground.

The main reason I love ATS so much, is that new and interesting ideas can be put forward in a way that captures the imagination of people who frequent the site.

I also take great pleasure in knowing that there are many people who visit ATS that are non members who also read and enjoy the content here.

I believe the move towards social networking on ATS was also a move in the right direction, as it widens people’s abilities to view threads from their favourite author[s].

Why is it that there are threads with seemingly little content with lots of replies and other threads that are rich in content with few??? I believe it is a question about ATS demographic and on post timing than anything else.

Don't let it discourage you though Sardion, I for one enjoy your threads immensely!!

Keep up the good work

All the best,

NeoN HaZe.

[edit on 19-3-2007 by Neon Haze]

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 05:20 AM
link   
Don't be so negative people! How about we think about this lack of replies in a positive light? Your initial post was so accurate, covered such a broad range of views, and was so detailed and meticulously written that it would be pointless to write a reply to it.

Therefore, I am happy to say that only 15 of my threads ever have got mroe than one page.

Cheers!

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Hmmm, I must be an oddball because I use myATS to browse over the headlines and rarely ever look at the front page.

Also, many topics that aren't very controversial get few replies, but if you post something nutty like Obama is an al-Qaeda sleeper agent..you get blitzed.

Endeavor to persevere...

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 04:00 PM
link   
I refrain from creating threads, it is very evident to me that others think I do not have any knowledge or interesting topics to contribute. The few threads I started died and made me feel really bad

So now I like to read pretty much everything on the forum and occasionally post a reply.

Peace to all

[edit on 19-3-2007 by resistancia]

new topics

top topics

join