It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Opium production on the rise in Afghanistan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 02:41 AM
link   
Hello,

I am new to this area of ATS, apologies for being rude and posting a topic before aclimating myself to this forum: but I would like everyones opionion on the resurgence of opium production in Afghanistan after the disposal of the Taliban.

The bush administration cleverly blames it on a Taliban resurgence, but in fact the Taliban, as awful as they were, destroyed the poppy crops, and executed opium dealers. This in fact I believe was the chief reason for the war.
Anyone who follows narcotic dealings knows that in the past several years the price of heroin was steadily rising, it was getting in shorter supply, and lets not kid ourselves: herion and opiates are a major cog in the world economy. Pfizer needs a certain amount of opium to synthesize their pills, hospitals need morphine, and organized crime needs heroin. But the Taliban was cutting off the supply from the Afghan fields, which were a previous source of an estimated 80% of the worlds opium.

Now the poppies are back, just as I am sure was intended, and the bushies are ranting about the "narco terrorist"

I thiink this is rubbish, what does everyone else think?

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 03:36 AM
link   
I've got to admit, I'm confused about this, also. I don't quite understand when I see Poppy farmers broadcast on the news tending their crops. And even the production facilities are shown in wide view on the tv. I'd assume, being on location, they know the location.

The Bush family has always been interrelated with the drug scene, from seniors occurrence with distributing crack coc aine on the LA scene, to the widespread dispersal of opium, from a territory we essentially control.

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 09:36 AM
link   
The opium production in the golden triangle has increased four-fold in the last 10 years. We should focus on that.

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by JamesMcMahn
The opium production in the golden triangle has increased four-fold in the last 10 years. We should focus on that.

Is this because of improved US relations with China do you think?

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Do you all have any good articles pertaining to this topic? I would be interested in reading further into it.

-ONIAG

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 02:21 PM
link   
BBCNews

Wikipedia

Link3

Here are a few good links.

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Opium is the opium of the people - who needs religion when you have the real thing. Marx got it so wrong.

The British learned very quickly the effects of opium use on a people and when China answered back we had the opium wars in the mid 1800s. Free trade and capitalism willed out and the chinese brokered a deal - this was one of the first major monopolies of the NWO and that they still see it as a useful tool in no way surprises me.

The BBC article link James McMahn supplies tells it all - 90% of the heroin on the streets of Britain originated from Afganistan. Heroin is good for public order/control - never doubt it - people on heroin rarely if ever protest. Heroin destroys more lives than simply those addicted, it breaks down families and communities. We want all that cheap heroin back on the streets doing its job. The US has the golden triangle, the british contingent want afganistan back doing its bit.

new topics

top topics

join