It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Movies that Transcend Time

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2007 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I am a huge movie buff. I go to the movies regularly and I buy them like crazy. I don't tend to have any specific thing that I look for, as I am a huge fan of all genres. Comedy, horror, drama, sci-fi, anything really that comes with a half-decent plot. But one thing that I do look for, is a movie that is able to transcend time. A movie that can be put into any time or any place, and the audience will be captivated.

Watching a trailer for the movie Reign Over Me, I get the strong impression that this movie is going to transcend time. Its plot is something that can really hit home, especially with it's underlying theme, and with a one two punch of Adam Sandler & Don Cheadle, how can you possibly go wrong?

A man (Sandler) who lost his family in the September 11 attack on New York City runs into his old college roommate (Cheadle). Rekindling the friendship is the one thing that appears able to help the man recover from his grief.

Reign Over Me

Reign Over Me

So what have you? This is my personal pick that is coming out that I think can transcend time. In some follow up posts, I will list a few others from the past that I believe are in this category. I would like to hear some honest feedback from our members on this movie, and maybe a list of some movies that they feel belong in this bracket.

Thank You.

posted on Mar, 18 2007 @ 05:37 PM
link   
I haven't seen the movie you posted yet, so I don't have an opinion.

Like you, I'm a huge movie fan, and probably have well over 2,000 movies on VHS and disc in our collection.

One movie that always seemed to transcend time was a Tom Hanks film made in 1988.
The movie "Big" is timeless because every kid wants to grow up faster than what nature allows them to, and I think any man or boy can relate to a film like this.
www.imdb.com...

posted on Mar, 18 2007 @ 06:19 PM
link   
I've not seen that movie yet, but through your recommendation, I'll be sure to check it out.

I've not seen that movie either, as it has not been released to theatres yet. But watching the trailer, I really get inspired. I honestly feel like it is a movie that I will quickly categorize as one that can transcend time.

Did you get a moment to watch the trailer?

The song in the trailer, The Fray - How To Save A Life, love that song.

posted on Mar, 18 2007 @ 06:34 PM
link   
I think people will still be watching The Sound of Music after all of us are long dead.

posted on Mar, 18 2007 @ 09:55 PM
link   
What movies that will Transcend Time?
I look for that which inspires the higher emotions in the spirit and can move a person depending on the subject matter or that which can bring out the pure emotions of another.
Myself, I believe that there are several movies that will transcend time and continue on for a long time, even after those who created them and acted in them are gone fully.
There are a few that comes to mind, and for myself I would say that it is a toss up between the following titles:
Hair
or
The Passion of Christ.

Just my thoughts.

posted on Mar, 18 2007 @ 11:20 PM
link   
well...it's been awhile...and a HELLO to all...

The first to come to mind were:

Bad Day at Black Rock (1955) Spencer Tracy and a whole raft of other top stars of the day, including direction by John Sturges. Cinematography was excellent and the overarching theme is pretty much timeless...

and

Seven Days in May (1964) Kirk Douglas, Burt Lancaster...John Frankenheimer directed...The movie, in one sense, is very much rooted in its time (Cold War) but, again, its theme is overarching and transcendent (to my way of thinking, at least)...and very effective use of B/W film.

oh!...and...

Judgement at Nuremberg (1961) Spencer Tracy, Burt Lancaster, etc., etc. Stanley Kramer directs... Again, rooted firmly in it's time but the underlying theme is transcendent.

All 3 films are supported by a whole raft of top stars of their day...and present an experience grounded on very skillful acting and directing, relying on these as opposed to much of what is produced today which depends upon spectacle and special effects (not that that can't also be good...I thoroughly enjoyed Lord of the Rings, and it doesn't get much more spectacle/special effects than that...)

Anyhooo...my opinion...

posted on Mar, 20 2007 @ 09:34 AM
link   
I'm adding Reign Over Me to my Netflix queue right now.
It doesn't have an availability date, so it might be awhile, but as soon as it makes it to DVD I'm there.

posted on Mar, 20 2007 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Adam Sandler has always been one of my favorite Actors, and in the last few years, Don Cheadle has become one of the most underrated Hollywood stars. I think this is a tremendous cast supported by an amazing story line.

I think this one might hit home for a lot of us, and really speak to us personally.

I did not lose a loved one on September 11th, but I have tragically lost family members. We all cope in different ways, and I think this will work as a fresh reminder that we need to pick ourselves up, even when we don't want to take that next breath.

I think this is a movie I'll make an effort to see on opening night.

top topics

join