It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

believers or not????

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2007 @ 02:32 PM
link   
In the bible it says some will claim to be one of his but are pretty much lying. how are you supposed to find out which ones are real and which arent?

Question from a very confused atheist.

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Read the gospels. Learn what Jesus preached.
There is a difference between knowing the path, and walking it. Its easy to preach and shout and rant about Jesus like those God-forsaken televangelists, but its much harder to swallow your own criticism and live the path of a follower of Christ.

Look deep into someone's soul.... Look past the false facade.... and you will see people for who they truly are.

Do not just act good, be good.

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheB1ueSoldier
There is a difference between knowing the path, and walking it.

Deep stuff, really, and it just about sums up the reality of the situation.

I'm sure those who run their stupid mouths most about "God" are the ones that don't believe a word of what they're saying. I don't really pay much attention to those who would use religion as a tool, whether or not they seem like true believers. I measure a person by their actions.

I'm sure there are many "atheists" that walk the path much more straightly than many good ol' Christians. And I'm also sure that if there is a higher power of any sort, that power is aware of who's doing the talking, and who's doing the walking.

posted on Mar, 20 2007 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sunsetspawn
Deep stuff, really, and it just about sums up the reality of the situation.

If that's sarcasm, I don't understand it at all.

I'm sure those who run their stupid mouths most about "God" are the ones that don't believe a word of what they're saying.

And I'm sure that you know exactly what "those" people are thinking at all times.

I don't really pay much attention to those who would use religion as a tool

If you don't pay attention to what you're arguing about, then I advise you learn more before making assumptions.

whether or not they seem like true believers. I measure a person by their actions.

Me too, actions are louder than words.

I'm sure there are many "atheists" that walk the path much more straightly than many good ol' Christians.

I think what you meant is that there are Atheists out there who have a higher sense of morality than Christians, otherwise your argument of "Hey Atheists believe in Christ more than Christians" doesn't make much sense.

And I'm also sure that if there is a higher power of any sort, that power is aware of who's doing the talking, and who's doing the walking.

Agreed. And yeah, I know that quote is from the Matrix, but I used it because it fits the content of what I was stating. Plus, it was a great movie.

posted on Mar, 20 2007 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Matthew chapter 7kjv

13 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:

14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

15 Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.

16 Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?

17 Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.

18 A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.

posted on Mar, 20 2007 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheTimeIsUp
...how are you supposed to find out which ones are real and which arent?

Who says you are supposed to find out?

I guess what I am saying is, what purpose would it serve anyone, especially an atheist, to know which ones are for real? Perhaps if we understood more about your question, we could provide more possible solutions.

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 11:45 AM
link   
to be honest man actions. If a man is seen not doing the work of God. He not with. I had a man after I got out of jail he and his girl where preachers ready to save a soul. and yet before he found out I was a believer he would not even give me a dollar for the bus. He had money nice clothes and all. But right after I got a new testiment out he was ready to preach.

Look at their the seed does not fall from the tree. If the child are bad so are the parents in most cases. And end the end if you got the spirit in you. You can tell when other has a spirit and who dont.

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheB1ueSoldier

There is a difference between knowing the path, and walking it. Its easy to preach and shout and rant about Jesus like those God-forsaken televangelists, but its much harder to swallow your own criticism and live the path of a follower of Christ.

True. Anyone can pay a lip service. However, the real test is whether someone is living it. A person can say "well,Christ is this and Christ is that," if he/she is living the teachings of Christ, then he/she can't really claim to be Christian.

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 07:39 PM
link   
easiest answer, you CAN'T know who believes and who doesn't. it's that simple. well, among people that claim to believe it you can't know, but among people that claim to not believe it's much easier.

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
easiest answer, you CAN'T know who believes and who doesn't.

Well I don't know if you CAN'T know who does and does not believe. I can easily tell you if some of my best friends are true Christians or not. And if a married couple are together for many years, who's to say that they don't know each other that deeply?

It all comes down to what you think of yourself. If you were God, would you think of yourself (Joe Smith) as a true Christian? To tell you the truth, I believe that God exists but I don't believe that I am a true Christian. I don't live the path that Jesus preaches about but I'm honestly trying!

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheTimeIsUp
In the bible it says some will claim to be one of his but are pretty much lying. how are you supposed to find out which ones are real and which aren’t?

The ones that are real are FOR REAL. ANY one of us can tell (truly – if we try we can!) a person who is FOR REAL from one who ain’t running nothing but their mouth.

God is LOVE. Those who are of God are ruled by His Spirit which is truth. And truth simply means the honest facts the best known at the moment – but no one knows the whole absolute truth until we ‘know everything’ there is to know (and I refuse! I’d rather just learn forever because there is always MORE).

So a lot of times it is not understood by the soul that believes it is following God but instead is following religion that the truth is universal and shared, and even when incomplete, we ALL the same right to seek that truth. Which is that we are all human beings – from atheists to Pharisees and all shades and nuances in between.

Question from a very confused atheist.

I hope you don’t mind, then, if I use the bible to answer your bible question…it might help.

Philippians 1:11
Being filled with the fruits of righteousness, which are by Jesus Christ, unto the glory and praise of God.

‘By’ means ‘through’ as in ‘instrumentality.’ And all the Glory (praise, worship, etc) must go TO God…who is pure Spirit…God IS love!

Jesus never said to ANYONE he wanted to be worshiped or revered as God – regardless how each of us understand (or not – however), one thing that is simple to discern is never did Christ demand the fealty that Christianity wants to give him…perhaps thinking that is the only way to finally overcome mortal fear; but Christianity is not = following Christ’s path. And just by using that name…no one is guaranteed anything and indeed are warned not to fall into that trap.

But here is a more definite guideline as a direct answer to your OP:

James chapter 3
1 My brethren, be not many masters, knowing that we shall receive the greater condemnation.
2 For in many things we offend all. If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man, able also to bridle the whole body.

In other words – to be offensive in one’s manner on a consistent level, especially (but in all the things, regardless) is a sign against a person being led by the Spirit of God.

3 Behold, we put bits in the horses' mouths, that they may obey us; and we turn about their whole body.
4 Behold also the ships, which though so great, and driven of fierce winds, yet are they turned about with a very small helm, whithersoever the governor lists.
5 Even so the tongue is a little member, and boasts great things. Behold, how great a matter a little fire kindles!
6 And the tongue a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defiles the whole body, setting on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire of hell.

It is our OWN mouths and words that work the worst against the aims of the Kingdom of God (which is saving the WORLD – not just a portion but planet and population in entirety)!
Iniquity simply means the same as ‘inequality’ as in regard to judgments – the opposite, then, is ‘righteousness.’ Iniquity is playing favorites instead of doing like God which is exactly the opposite. God loves us all – we are each a soul and he loves us without measure but He will NEVER choose one certain kind of human being over another…for any reason. He is ‘no respecter of persons.’
And truly, if you know anything about recent human history – our worst wars and disasters have frequently been initiated, inflamed, or increased because of the things which are SAID (yet ½ of the problem is HEARING, too).

7 For every kind of beasts, and of birds, and of serpents, and of things in the sea, is tamed, and hath been tamed of mankind:
8 But the tongue can no man tame; an unruly evil, full of deadly poison.

There is no worse poison than ill-considered words! It may not seem so until you consider some of the more sensational and questionable capital crime trials in our history – words are ‘circumstantial’ evidence and yet have had many an innocent executed.

9 Therewith bless we God, even the Father; and therewith curse we men, which are made after the similitude of God.
10 Out of the same mouth proceeds blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.

This is CRUCIAL. No one who truly has the spirit of God within them is going to count anyone toward eternal doom or anything even remotely negative – God LOVES US ALL. He is not political or religious. God is all about ONE – Hear O Israel (Is Real!) the LORD your God is ONE – echad – which means not singular but UNITED.

11 Doth a fountain send forth at the same place sweet and bitter?
12 Can the fig tree, my brethren, bear olive berries? either a vine, figs? so neither does a fountain both yield salt water and fresh.

No one who causes hard feelings in trying to ‘spread the gospel’ is really working for God – God is drawing ALL men unto Christ in love and freedom – to alienate anyone because they are not going the route we think they should take is not productive at all!

13 Who is a wise man and endowed with knowledge among you? let him show out of a good conversation his works with meekness of wisdom.

Gentleness and humility – it is a GOOD thing to be able to admit one might not be right or perhaps wasn’t on their best behavior in a situation with another person – we are all wrong once in a while – a wise man knows the only difference between he and a fool is perhaps the orifice out of which one speaks – (your mouth or your a$$?) Arrogance is an automatic disqualification.

14 But if ye have bitter envying and strife in your hearts, glory not, and lie not against the truth.
15 This wisdom descends not from above, but is earthly, sensual, devilish.
16 For where envying and strife is, there is confusion and every evil work.

Strife is any kind of discord! Yet a huge portion of human strife and suffering is caused in the (differing) names of the ONE God (LOVE).

17 But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy.
18 And the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace of them that make peace.

Peacemakers – gentle and easy-to-get-along-with people who do NOT cast judgments on other people for any reason…and above all, who rarely, if ever, find occasion where they are forced to eat words earlier spoken without due consideration!

I hope that helps.

posted on Apr, 5 2007 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Spiritual people in most case can see a spirit in someone. But the devil does rain and the devil does get away with alot of things

posted on Apr, 5 2007 @ 02:17 PM
link   
CORRECTION

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth

True. Anyone can pay a lip service. However, the real test is whether someone is living it. A person can say "well,Christ is this and Christ is that," if he/she is not living the teachings of Christ, then he/she can't really claim to be Christian.

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 10:55 AM
link   
How queen puts it. Is beatiful. God is of Love. God's children are like him. We much be love. As so much in hate. But always careing. When doing that God's spirit works into you to show who are saved and who are not. In the end though judgement day will come. The free will can end everthing.

new topics

top topics

join