It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

True love is only a click away

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2007 @ 12:31 PM
link   
The topic of this thread is online dating services.

These websites allow you to search for compatible mates based on age, race, gender, hobby's, etc...

There are even offshoots of the big ones which cater to such groups as goths, hippies, republicans, democrats, and the like.

Does this cheapen love?

Is love a commodity that can be bought and sold?

Will there one day be lifetime guarantees for your one true love?

posted on Mar, 18 2007 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Does this cheapen love?

No, not at all.

Is love a commodity that can be bought and sold?

Well I am tempted to make an argument about prostiution, but in
general, no.

Will there one day be lifetime guarantees for your one true love?

No, relationships are far to unpredictable over time for any sane
corporation or person to actually offer one for, if they did'nt want to
lose money every ten years.

What these sites do is to provide people more choices of potential mates,
and to find people who they get along with.

Personally, I think they offer a valuable service.
The only problem I have with them, is that they charge money.

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 12:11 AM
link   
These sights are not actually selling love, but selling a system of networking based on mutual party alignments. It is actually a good money maker if you can get a lot of people to love each other.

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 12:12 AM
link   
I see it this way: These online matchmaking websites allow people to meet compatible mates outside of their local areas that they otherwise would never get to meet. The people running the websites have to pay the expenses of running the website so they need to charge money to do so. Before internet dating, there were other types of matchmaking companies that videotaped the individuals and then others could watch the videos in hopes of finding a mate. That wasn't free either.

Now these generalized websites may make it more difficult for minority groups of people to find matches (such as goths, hippies, etc.) so they would naturally want to find a site that caters to their special needs.

It turns out that there are so many websites online now, that a successful online business is one that caters to a more targeted group of people. Entrepreneurs figure that out and start buildng matchmaking sites targeted to these niche groups of people.

It's pretty much a win-win situation, however, I have also read articles that show internet dating to be on the downslide lately because so many people who join the sites are not as honest as they should be (displaying old photos to show themselves as more attractive, lying about their age or their job or education-level, etc.)

I've tried internet dating in the past and it was ok. I went out with some nice guys. But after years of being alone, and having extremely selective requirements of the kind of guy I wanted, I ended up meeting him at the grocery store and we're very happy together. Go figure!

join