MERRY CHRISTMAS NOT HAPPY HOLIDAYS

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Dec, 24 2003 @ 03:54 PM
link   
dam political correctness we can't say merry christmas b/c we might offend someone who doesn't celebrate xmas, but xmas is a christian thing!!! other religous sects have their own thing we let muslims celebrate ramandan jewish ppl have hannuakah africans have kwazan(excuse my spelling) but for christians it has to be called the "holiday season". example last yr here in toronto at city hall they set up a xmas tree like every year then some elitist non-elected official didn't want to offend others so they called it a holiday tree, like c'mon we don't make other religions change the name of their symbols of their celebration so why should we ?? now i know what many are thinking, who is this right wing bigot christian , well here's what i say to that. I stand firm in what i just said people want freedom it's a two-way street other religions can practice their celebration but you know what let me celebrate mine, so i leave you with

Have a MERRY CHRISTMAS

posted on Dec, 24 2003 @ 07:40 PM
link   
You're not alone...

www.newswithviews.com...

posted on Dec, 24 2003 @ 08:19 PM
link   
good find and nice to see that he has the same point of view

posted on Dec, 24 2003 @ 09:53 PM
link   
You *do* realize why it's now being called "holiday" out of political correctness, right? Because "Christmas" has nothing to do with the birth of Christ, for one; but mainly because Christianity isn't the only religion that celebrates Christmas. It's called Yule by us Pagans (or as your preacher probably refers to us, "hell-bound satanic devil-worshipping free-thinkers"). If you people could some up with some of your *own* holidays and myths, rather than borrowing from everybody else (and label US as hell-bound and lost), you wouldn't have this problem, now would you?

Take the "Christ" out of "Christmas".

posted on Dec, 24 2003 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by LOBO
You *do* realize why it's now being called "holiday" out of political correctness, right? Because "Christmas" has nothing to do with the birth of Christ, for one; but mainly because Christianity isn't the only religion that celebrates Christmas. It's called Yule by us Pagans (or as your preacher probably refers to us, "hell-bound satanic devil-worshipping free-thinkers"). If you people could some up with some of your *own* holidays and myths, rather than borrowing from everybody else (and label US as hell-bound and lost), you wouldn't have this problem, now would you?

Take the "Christ" out of "Christmas".

I agree with you and I agree that you're doomed to be hell-bound and lost. But, that doesn't mean that we can't have a beer, does it?

posted on Dec, 25 2003 @ 03:50 AM
link   
LOBO, I disagree. Pagans do not have exclusive right on this day. Why cant there be 2 holidays? You celebrate yours, christians celebrate theirs.
We don't know when Jesus was born, but centuries ago people have picked this day to be Christmas day. So what if it is on the same day as pagan holiday? The reasons why it was done is in the past. Why keep coming back to that? You cannot change the past.
25th of december IS Christmas in the year 2003, christians are not killing pagans anymore, christmas has become a holiday of peace and love. I am not christian, but I love christmas and I don't see why they can't call it that, just because it happens to ba on the same day as pagan holiday.

In the spirit of that:

MERRY CHRISTMAS and HAPPY HOLIDAYS

posted on Dec, 25 2003 @ 02:35 PM
link   
paperclip -

Yes, I know. Pagans don't have the right to Christmas, nor do Christians. Keep it "happy holidays" and quit whining that it should be "Christmas" instead, and I'll have no problems.

posted on Dec, 25 2003 @ 03:24 PM
link   
I personally say Happy Holidays to everybody instead of merry christmas for the simple fact that there is no way to tell unless you know the person if they are Christian or celebrate Christmas (I'm not Christian but i celebrate the non-Christian aspects of X-mas, aka the love and spirit of giving) And i also agree with cities and governments not getting involved exclusively in X-mas because no matter if the majority of Americans are Christian, our government itself (not the people in it but the body as a whole) is NOT Christian. Seperation of Church and state is written up all over the constitution.

posted on Dec, 16 2005 @ 09:46 PM
link   
The debate is still going on...
I thought I'd bump this up to get more commentary on this Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays issue.

posted on Dec, 16 2005 @ 10:27 PM
link   
The strange thing about Christmas is that it really was'nt celebrated in the US until in the late 1800s, when some Jewish Depratment store owners decided to use it as a marketing device and promote the extravagant giving of gifts. Before their advertising blitz and resultant "holiday" most American workers didn't get off on DEC. 25.

So in the spirit of giving and buying....

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays and don't drink and drive!!

[edit on 16-12-2005 by whaaa]

posted on Dec, 17 2005 @ 02:11 AM
link   
Well, I think it really shouldn't matter which way you say it. Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, Happy Hannukah, Feliz Navidad, whatever you wanna say...but I think everyone is missing the point, wish everyone well, & don't let the "Peace & Goodwill" flow.

I personally think, Happy Holidays, covers it all. Doesn't matter any way you say it, it's still a Holiday.

posted on Dec, 17 2005 @ 08:41 AM
link   

christians are not killing pagans anymore,

and if you believe that I,ve got some beach front property inAZ to sell you.

posted on Dec, 17 2005 @ 01:08 PM
link   
the amazing thing is ...if it was not for christmas there would not be a Holiday to celebrate. taking that Kuanza and Hanukah are in the same season but not in the same day.

By the way to all of those that think they are winning against Christmas when they say "Happy holiday" .... the word Holiday comes for HOLY DAY ... so you're not winning anything...you're just wasting MY TIME !

MERRY CHRISTMAS !!!! IT'S CHRIST BIRTHDAY... SUCK IT UP AND DEAL WITH IT! Stop chacing Christianity with Bull crap ideas...find something worthy of doing ... and if you wann pcik on someone why not ...pcik on Ramdan ??? ooohh... thats right..you're too scared of Islamic followers.. :bnghd:

P.S - I am perfectly aware that Christ was not born on Dec 25, it was the day the RCC chose, after dumping Mithra and substituting him with Jesus.

[edit on 17-12-2005 by BaastetNoir]

[edit on 17-12-2005 by BaastetNoir]

posted on Dec, 17 2005 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by BaastetNoirBy the way to all of those that think they are winning against Christmas when they say "Happy holiday" .... the word Holiday comes for HOLY DAY ... so you're not winning anything

Howya figure? It's a holy day for Pagans, too, so calling it one is no problem. Calling it exclusively a Christian holy day is another matter.

(Not that I don't think this is a tempest in a teapot . . .)

MERRY CHRISTMAS !!!! IT'S CHRIST BIRTHDAY

Well, no.

Although we don't know for certain when Jesus was born, if you accept the Gospel story of the shepherds, it must have been in the spring. That's because the shepherds were out in the fields with their flocks at night, something that only happens during lambing season. In the middle of winter, the sheep are penned in at night and the shepherds can sleep under a roof.

12/25 became Christmas Day because the Greco-Roman world already celebrated various religious holy days around that time, it being (roughly) the winter solstice. So the Church established it on that day in order to coopt the celebrations that were going to happen anyway no matter what it did. Shrewd political move, actually.

But if you really want to celebrate Jesus' birthday, pick a day in the spring and you'll be closer to reality.

Edit: Sorry, missed your edit in which you acknowledged that the day is wrong. But, that being the case, what's your beef?

[edit on 17-12-2005 by Two Steps Forward]

posted on Dec, 17 2005 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Two Steps Forward
Howya figure? It's a holy day for Pagans, too, so calling it one is no problem. Calling it exclusively a Christian holy day is another matter.

(Not that I don't think this is a tempest in a teapot . . .)

true many other religions seem to celebrate something around this time of the year, but it was never a problem up untill now ? so i guess it for lack of better things to do.

why not Maerry Christmas AND Happy Holidays ??

why must the "Merry Christmas" be removed...

Edit: Sorry, missed your edit in which you acknowledged that the day is wrong. But, that being the case, what's your beef?

[edit on 17-12-2005 by Two Steps Forward]

my beef is >>> so in order not to offend anyone , lets offend the christians and refuse to mention THEIR holyday ??? typical idiocy of the "politically correct gang"!

posted on Dec, 17 2005 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by BaastetNoir
true many other religions seem to celebrate something around this time of the year, but it was never a problem up untill now ? so i guess it for lack of better things to do.

Actually I think it's because only within the last 30 years or so have we reached a point of acknowledging that America is a nation of many religions, not a Christian nation. Non-Christians used to tolerate all kinds of official, government-sponsored Christianity, and are no longer willing to do so.

why not Maerry Christmas AND Happy Holidays ??

why must the "Merry Christmas" be removed...

You, personally, can say whatever the heck you want. It's only when the government says it that it potentially violates the First Amendment.

I guess you might argue that this "Happy Holidays" thing is more polite. But like I said, it's kind of a tempest in a teapot.

my beef is >>> so in order not to offend anyone , lets offend the christians and refuse to mention THEIR holyday ??? typical idiocy of the "politically correct gang"!

Well, there are two approaches nowadays it seems to me. Sometimes we avoid mentioning anyone's holy day, and sometimes we mention everyone's. (You know, Happy Christmas-Solstice-Yule-Kwanzaa-Hannukha-etc.-etc.) (Including that Hindu holiday I can never remember the name of.) I find the first pretty bland and blah, but it's what I do when addressing holiday greetings to my Christian friends and family. The second is cumbersome and I don't personally do that, but am usually amused when I see it. I could see you being offended if it were acceptable to officially recognize non-Christian religions but not Christianity, but that is not the case.

A few years ago, a the council of town in Georgia with a large Pagan population tried to pass an ordinance making some part of the calendar "Earth Religion Week" or "Earth Religion Month" or something like that. A number of Pagan groups (as well as Christian ones) complained and got it reversed. Why did the Pagan groups do it? Simple: a firm belief in the First Amendment. No government can be allowed to establish ANY religion, and that includes ours. Sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander. If we can do it, so can you -- and you outnumber us (so far).

There is a very legitimate concern about Christians sometimes asserting religious ownership of our nation and culture. Holiday greetings represent a very trivial aspect of that concern, and as I've repeatedly said, a tempest in a teapot.

posted on Dec, 17 2005 @ 06:14 PM
link   
The point that I see missing in all this debate is the simple fact that the Christian holiday of Christmas is only ONE day! Christmas Eve is not even religious in any way. Since, in the USA, the "Christmas Holiday Season" has started even before Thanksgiving Day, well, it's simple - nobody wants to take Christmas away from the Christians but you can't expect that we're going to give you the whole 6 weeks.

They are the Holidays because that's the PLURAL for this season when there are lots of religious and secular celebrations going on.

Personally, I think that this whole fake uproar is a PR stunt by the Radical Christian Right. They sorely need something to take people's minds off the fact that they jumped in bed with the Republicans and they now have numerous scandals and a failed President.

Besides, I think most Americans now believe that WalMart is the reason for the season and the whole thing is a celebration of the birth of Sam Walton.

Happy December, y'all!

posted on Dec, 18 2005 @ 09:11 AM
link   
What's with all the "I hate PC" type threads?

You are not compelled to behave in this manner. If you want to say "Merry Christmas", you're free to do so. It sounds more like you're trying to tell me what to say so that you won't be offended, which of course, is still PC, but from your perspective rather than someone else's.

Political correctness is nothing more than acknowledging respect for other people. If you want to ignore it and come of as an arrogant jerk, you're welcome to.

posted on Dec, 18 2005 @ 03:43 PM
link   
the tree wasn't orignially a symbol of christian celebration at this time, but of pagan celebration. therefore, holiday tree does fly.

posted on Dec, 18 2005 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by spamandham
It sounds more like you're trying to tell me what to say so that you won't be offended, which of course, is still PC, but from your perspective rather than someone else's.

Bravo! I think it's really interesting that this old thread started by someone claiming that they "cant say Merry Christmas", yet 2 years later, as many who wish to are still saying it! Just goes to show that this whole 'War on Christmas' is a fraud!

Quit crying about what everyone else says and say whatever you like.

I like Meow-y Christmas, myself!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join