It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mass recall of dog and cat food after pets die

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2007 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Heads up to all you pet owners out there...

(CNN)-WASHINGTON (AP) -- Pet owners were worried Saturday that the pet food in their cupboards could be deadly after millions of containers of dog and cat food sold at major retailers across North America were recalled.

www.cnn.com...

Menu Foods -- a major manufacturer of dog and cat food sold under Wal-Mart, Safeway, Kroger and other store brands -- recalled 60 million containers of wet pet food Friday after reports of kidney failure and deaths.

www.cnn.com...

An unknown number of cats and dogs suffered kidney failure and about 10 died after eating the affected pet food, the company said in announcing the North American recall.

www.cnn.com...

The pet food was sold by stores operated by the Kroger Co., Safeway Inc., Wal-Mart Stores Inc. and PetSmart Inc., among others, Henderson said.

www.cnn.com...

Full story here
www.cnn.com...

posted on Mar, 17 2007 @ 09:58 PM
link   
I was just talking with my wife about this.What is with all this tainted food?Now pet food?What is going on?Makes me wonder what is next.

posted on Mar, 18 2007 @ 03:52 AM
link   
Thanks Black_Fox!

We have a large amount of Iams wet cat food on hand. I checked each can and none are from the plant in question.

I always thought that a daily reading of ATS had practical applications too!

Again, Thanks!

jra

posted on Mar, 18 2007 @ 05:25 AM
link   
I get Iams for my cat, but only the dry stuff. About a month ago she was puking a lot for a number of days. The vet did a blood test and didn't find anything out of the ordinary. She's fine now, but after hearing about this, maybe it's time to look for a different brand perhaps?

[edit on 18-3-2007 by jra]

posted on Mar, 18 2007 @ 08:40 AM
link   
The list of dog and cat foods involved -

CAT FOOD - Americas Choice Preferred Pets, Authority, Best Choice, Companion, Compliments, Demoulas market Basket, Eukanuba, Fine Feline Cat, Food Lion, Foodtown, Giant Corporation, Hannaford, Hill Country Fare, Hy-Vee, Iams, Key Food, Laura Lynn, Li'l Red, Loving Meals, Meijers Main Choice, Nutriplan, Nutro Max, Gourmet Classics, Nutro Natura Choice, Paws, Pet Pride, Presidents Choice, Price Chopper, Priority, Save-A-Lot, Schnucks, Science Diet (3 ounce and 5.5 ounce cans of Kitten Savory Cuts Ocean Fish; 5.5 ounce cans of feeline adult savory cuts beef, chicken, and ocena fish, and 5.5 ounce cans of feline senior savory cuts chicken), Sophisticat, Special Kitty Canada, Special Kitty US, Springfield Prize, Sprout, Total Pet, My True Friend, Wegmans, Western Family, White Rose, Winn Dixie.

DOG FOOD - Americas Choice Preferred Pets, Authority, Award, Best Choice, Big Bet, Big Red, Bloom, Bruiser, Cadillac, Companion, Demoulas Market Basket, Eukanuba, Food Lion, Giant Companion, Great Choice, Hannaford, Hll Country Fare, Hy-Vee, Iams, Key Food, Laura Lynn, Loving Meals, Meijers Main Choice, Mighty Dog (5.3 pouch products produced from Dec 3, 2006 through March 14, 2007), Mixables, Nutriplan, NutroMax, Nutro Natural Choice, Nutro, Ol' Roy Canada, Ol'Roy US, Paws, Pet Essentials, Pet Pride - Good 'n Meaty, Presidents Choice, Price Chopper, Priority, Publix, Roche Bros, Save-A-Lot, Schnucks,Shep Dog, Springfield Prize, Sprout, Stater Bros, Total Pet My True Friend, Western Family, White Rose, Winn Dixie, Your Pet.

posted on Mar, 18 2007 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Thanks blackfox.

What I don't get is what the heck did they put in the food that could kill your animal? :shk:

posted on Mar, 18 2007 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Just checked and everythings safe for our dog. It's scary though.

Thanks for the heads up.

posted on Mar, 18 2007 @ 06:00 PM
link   
wow what a scary event, I hope that all the ATS member pets are fine,

I have pets and i know for sure i would be in a panic over this if i lived in the US,.

posted on Mar, 18 2007 @ 07:13 PM
link   
That is one of the reasons I feed my cats tuna fish (for human consumption). To echo previous sentiments, I hope everyone's
pets are OK.

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 05:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by thehumbleone
I don't get is what the heck did they put in the food that could kill your animal?

I used to get a magazine called 'After Dark'. One issue discussed what is put into dog food. It was disgusting. Sometimes roadkill. Sometimes euthanized pets (remember, there are drugs in those animals). Sometimes the collars aren't take off the euthanized animals and so metal fragments have gotten into the food.

I'll have to see if I can find the issue so I can give a good reference here ...

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 05:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
I used to get a magazine called 'After Dark'. One issue discussed what is put into dog food. It was disgusting. Sometimes roadkill. Sometimes euthanized pets (remember, there are drugs in those animals). Sometimes the collars aren't take off the euthanized animals and so metal fragments have gotten into the food.

i have read about this too. It was gross, to say the least. It wasnt the same magazine that FlyersFan read, but it was the same thing i read. I was surprised about the euthanized pets, and the article i read pointed out the same thing...about the chemicals and the collars.

I tend to feed my dog home made food for the most part, but she does ocassionally have the tinned stuff. Only difference is now, whenever i give it, i am grimacing, wondering what the hell it is she is eating.

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 07:26 AM
link   
FOUND THE ARTICLE - (I'll let you all decide for youselves if this is hype to sell a magazine, or if they are exposing dark truths in the pet food industry) I'll paraphrase from the magazine article. I don't have any links to it.

After Dark Magazine
August 2005
paraphrased key points

- euthanized dogs and cats from veterinary clinics and shelters are often 'rendered' and used as sources of protein in pet food. euthanized - meaning ... still having the drug Pentobarbital because it does not break down in the rendering process.

- dead-stock removal operations in USA/Canada collect slaughterhouse waste, road kill, garbage from restaurants and grocery stores and take these to be 'rendered'.

- animals are often dumped into the rendering vats with flea collars or insecticide patches still attached as well as pet ID tags and surgical pins.

-plastic wrap from out-of-date supermarket meats, chicken, and fish also end up in the rendering vats.

- grains used in DRY pet foods are unfit for humans. Whan a pet food recall happens, it is usually due to mycotoxin contamination. Mycotoxins are fungi that grow on grain stored in damp conditions and is deadly.

- pet foods that contain fish - usually only contain the head, tails, fins, bones and viscera. IF a whole fish is used, it is because it has expired it's shelf date and/or has too high levels of mercury or other toxins for humans.

There are 286 rendering plants in the USA that dispose of 12.5 million tons of dead animals, fat, and meat wastes. Most of the material for rendering comes from condemned meat from slaughterhouses. It is 'denatured' which means it is soaked in chemicals, usually cresote, kerosene, or citronella.

The USDA says that the rendering industry is mostly self regulating.

NOTE - when looking at the ingredients on your pet food bag. If you see 'animal digest' that is material which results from chemical and/or enzymatic hydrolysis of clean and undercomposed animal tissue. No hair, horns, teeth, hooves, or feathers are allowed.

[edit on 3/19/2007 by FlyersFan]

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 08:28 AM
link   
My dog had become sick about two weeks ago which had symptoms of a previous injury that happened to her. (Limping on one of her legs.) It got increasingly worse over 24 hours of her first starting to limp which in turn bought her a trip to the vet. Turns out she had some sort of liver problem whose name escapes me at the moment. We had changed her food the same day as the vet visit due to the vet recommending geriatric food for her age. Not sure if it's the meds, change in dog food, time or a combination of all; but she's doing infinately better since the vet visit. But regardless, in light of this news and the recent vet visit of mine for liver problems, it's a scary situation for pet owners.

[edit on 19-3-2007 by bluesquareapple]

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 08:38 AM
link   
My money is on Glycol contaminaion.

According to results from animal studies,4 the ingested amount of ethylene glycol required to produce toxicity in animals is approximately 1.0 to 1.5 mL per kg, or 100 mL in an adult.

The patient may experience nausea, vomiting, hyperventilation, and hypocalcemia with muscle tetany and seizures. Hypertension, tachycardia, and cardiac failure may ensue. Pneumonitis, pulmonary edema, and adult respiratory distress syndrome have also been reported.3,9

Renal involvement may become apparent within 24 to 72 hours after ingestion. Urinary crystal formation requires a sufficient amount of time for ethylene glycol to be metabolized into oxalate. Calcium oxalate formation depletes serum calcium levels and deposits in intestinal mucosa, liver, brain, heart, lung, and kidney.

Glycol poisoning

Glycol

Basicly it antifreeze.
It's used as a coolant in many factories where lines often run over head and directly to production machines. It would be very easy for this to get into food be it human or animal and could go unoticed for some time.
It's sweet so it's most likely not going to be rejected until one feels ill.

If you think your pet is sick from this food ask your vet to check to see if it is glycol poisoning.

I would not put it past them to try and get by with out telling us what went wrong. Unless it was a result of out right employee actions by not informing management of a contamination. This could also be a result of mismanagement and trying to save an extra penny. Inspectoins are not done often enough in food preporation areas to catch many things.

I'm guessing Glycol as the being what got into the food though.

Raist

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 08:48 AM
link   
This is truly scary, bad business.
Although we give our dog ONLY human food becasue of her hate of pet food and her compromised liver, we do give her low-protein dog treats :shudder:

I guess I'll have to check those labels more closely.

I also have some links to herbs for dogs.
I'll post them later today.

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 09:07 AM
link   
One more thing on Glycol is mentioned about pets at the very bottom of the link below. I would have quoted the part I'm talking about but the site is copy right protected.

Bottom of page animal poisoning

I would not want to get poisoned by this stuff it does not sound like a very fun way to die, I would think this would be a painful death. I knew it could make you blind and shut your kindeys down, but when you look at how quick it could take you down

It does not seem to take much to poison some one/thing either but it's very little for pets 1-1 1/2 mL per kg to produce toxicity.

Raist

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Doobie Dog says, "Thanks for the info!"
My human buys them kinds of foood fur me sometimes so I'm shur glad to know bout this!

But do I have ta set nex to da cat? What is it lickin anyway?

Hey there! Human! Cut my toe nails agin! Its jest to hard ta tipe!

edit by wwn to add spaces between words, Doob doesn't have thumbs
Thanks for the info,
wwn

[edit on 3/19/07 by wellwhatnow]

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Don't by Iams pet food!
www.iamscruelty.com...
They're sick...

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 10:35 AM
link   
When I was younger we lost three cats in one day because of an antifreeze spill in the driveway. They loved the sugary taste I guess.

Peace

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by crowpruitt

What is with all this tainted food? Now pet food? What is going on? Makes me wonder what is next.

Good questions.

Seems to be the microbial edge of the current period of "rapid evolution."

Everything is changing, including the rules of biology...

<<   2  3 >>

join