It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time to legalize drugs

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2007 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Classifing drugs as soft or hard might be a start. As I said earlier, I don't advocate drug use. I advocate personal responsibility in ones life.

I think that we need to take the glamor and money out of recreational drugs and that legalization would be a start.

Then we could spend some about 10% of what we spend on policeing drugs on drug rehab instead.

I think that it would be a safer and more sane approach.

posted on Mar, 24 2007 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Well, not to sound like I am promoting a political figure on this site. But, I guess I am by mentioning his name. If you feel drugs should be legal... Or at least examined more closely. There is a Presidential candidate right now that shares your views. He has stated he is pro Industrial Hemp. He is also is against the ridiculous war on drugs. Lastly, he believes individual states have the right to decide what is legal or illegal. His name is Ron Paul.

cheers

posted on Mar, 24 2007 @ 06:29 PM
link   
I currently don't do any illegal drugs.

If all drugs were legalized, I'd consider doing marijuana recreationally - but also responsibly, just like how I like to have a beer every once in a while to relax after a long day of work.

I wouldn't touch any of the other stuff recreationally though, since I see no benefits - other than medical benefits.

i don't see why marijuana has to be illegal though... I mean, it could have the same restrictions as alcohol - must be age 21, no driving while intoxicated and no public intoxication. If you are responsible enough to drink alcohol, then you should be responsible enough to smoke marijuana, because any drug can be a deadly poision if abused including alcohol.

[edit on 24-3-2007 by curiousbeliever]

posted on Mar, 24 2007 @ 07:47 PM
link   
it basically breaks down to this: inanimate objects have no moral component, neither good nor bad. morality is a human conception and there fore rules and laws against inanimate objects make little sense. rules and laws should be applied to those who have a choice and choose to act in a way that harms others. no harm to others no crime! whether it be drugs or guns, laws should be for your actions not your possessions.

posted on Mar, 25 2007 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wildbob77
I think that we need to take the glamor and money out of recreational drugs and that legalization would be a start.

Then we could spend some about 10% of what we spend on policeing drugs on drug rehab instead.

I think that it would be a safer and more sane approach.

Do you realize what you are saying?

You're making TOO MUCH sense!

But, don't hold your breath on it. For example, if weed were legal, it would NOT be America's #1 cash crop.
The ridiculous mark up on coc aine (comparable to diamonds) would also be thrown out of the water.

Besides, why work to treat drug addicts when you can lock them up for years and make money off of them? Not to mention that not helping addicts guarantees people in the criminal justice system have jobs.

Of course it would be safer and more sane, but it WOULDN'T be profitable.:shk:

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 10:16 AM
link   
"heroin, crack, coc aine, etc are all legitimately really really bad for you"

Thats not strictly true, especially concerning Heroin. Anything taken in excess will have a detremental effect on your mind and body, but you can happily take heroin several times a day for the rest of your very long life so long as it's pure, sterile and taken oraly. The problems people experience with heroin come from neglecting the body's natural needs to stay healthy due to being totally focused on the heroin.
If it was cheap and easily available, adidcts wouldn't have half the problems they have now.
Cocain whilst more damaging is less addictive and less likely to become habitual than Heroin. Again, so long as it's pure, sterile taken oraly and not used in excess there's no reason you can't maintain a sustainable habit with little or no physical effect.
Crack, I have no idea.
I'm on the "legalize everything" side of the fence, and pro recreational drug use. But I would want to see it handled responsibly ( unlike for example fags and booze )

SR

posted on Mar, 27 2007 @ 03:48 PM
link   
And lose the billions that the Governments make from them? It won't happen any time soon especially with wars to pay for. In the ideal world it would of happened along time ago more countries would of followed Amsterdams lead alot sooner instead of relaxing certain drugs now. It's all smoke and mirrors we're being lead to believe things are getting better with softer drugs being legalised in the hope the big guns may be one day controlled through a sensible system but i personally believe it will never happen for the forseeable future.

SR

link   
And lose the billions that the Governments make from them? It won't happen any time soon especially with wars to pay for. In the ideal world it would of happened along time ago more countries would of followed Amsterdams lead alot sooner instead of relaxing certain drugs now. It's all smoke and mirrors we're being lead to believe things are getting better with softer drugs being legalised in the hope the big guns may be one day controlled through a sensible system but i personally believe it will never happen for the forseeable future.

SR

link   

posted on Mar, 28 2007 @ 12:09 PM
link   
You have voted Wildbob77 for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have one more vote left for this month.

I agree with everything you have stated in the op. Great observation. Now if we could only convince everyone else....

posted on Mar, 28 2007 @ 01:41 PM
link   
So far, I don't think that too many people seem convinced.

Yes drugs are bad.

But currently you and/or you children will be exposed to drugs and you can purchase just about any drug that you want.

Take the money out of the drug trade and I think that fewer people would get into it.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join