It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Earth Still recovering From Ice Age.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2007 @ 04:27 AM
link   

The Earth Still recovering From Ice Age.

www.iarc.uaf.edu

There seems to be a roughly linear increase of the temperature from about 1800, or even much earlier, to the present. This warming trend is likely to be a natural change; a rapid increase of CO2 began in about 1940. This trend should be subtracted from the temperature data during the last 100 years. Thus, there is a possibility that only a fraction of the present warming trend may be attributed to the greenhouse effect resulting from human activities.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 16 2007 @ 04:27 AM
link   
The above information comes from Dr. Akasofu, founding director of the International Arctic Research Center, University of Alaska Fairbanks.

In that website the good Dr. Akasofu clearly states that since temperatures on Earth began increasing well before CO2 levels increased, he is actually talking about the rapid increase of both temperature and CO2, there was an steady increase in both that started well before the time he mentioned, but even that trend shows that temperatures began increasing first, then CO2 levels increased which is a clear indication that mankind activities is not the main factor or the reason why temperatures have increased.

Anyways, anyone interested in this debate should read what the good Dr. Akasofu is saying there, which includes that the hockey Stick graph has been discredited, despite the fact that some people are still holding on to that erroneous data, as well as mentioning the weak spots, or flaws in the IPCC report.

The entire article is a good read.

www.iarc.uaf.edu
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 16-3-2007 by Muaddib]

posted on Mar, 16 2007 @ 05:26 AM
link   
I dunno wether its true or not about the environment but I stopped driving my car a little over 2 years ago now when gas prices started rising. Does it really hurt people that much to be a little concerned and to conserve when possible? Im wondering if this Dr. Akasofu being that he is in Alaska and being that his research deals in electromagnetics and auroras if he has anything to do at all with HAARP.

posted on Mar, 16 2007 @ 05:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThePieMaN
I dunno wether its true or not about the environment but I stopped driving my car a little over 2 years ago now when gas prices started rising. Does it really hurt people that much to be a little concerned and to conserve when possible? Im wondering if this Dr. Akasofu being that he is in Alaska and being that his research deals in electromagnetics and auroras if he has anything to do at all with HAARP.

No...as it is stated in that site their research has to do with...

At the International Arctic Research Center, which was established under the auspices of the “US-Japan Common Agenda” in 1999, our researchers are working on the arctic climate change issues mentioned in the above, in particular, in distinguishing natural changes and the manmade greenhouse effects in the Arctic. The term “most” is very inaccurate.

www.iarc.uaf.edu...

It is just amazing that some people always make claims about those scientists and people who can demonstrate that mankind is not at fault for Climate Change just because these people have a different view on what is happening....

posted on Mar, 16 2007 @ 06:02 AM
link   
The suggestion is that the world is still recovering from the Little Ice Age - the name given to a few centuries of cooler conditions centred around the N Altantic during the last millennia. We recovered form the last Ice Age many thousands of years ago, and if anything have been in a slow decline for the past 4 thousand years or so - as can be seen in the data from the Greenland ice cores (Alley 2000):-

posted on Mar, 16 2007 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Essan
We recovered form the last Ice Age many thousands of years ago, and if anything have been in a slow decline for the past 4 thousand years or so - as can be seen in the data from the Greenland ice cores (Alley 2000):-

Sorry to tell you that even thou in that article they do say Little Ice Age, there have been other research which does demonstrates we are still having the effects of Holocene warming since we came out of the Ice Age. The Holocene is the period after the Ice Age.

The Arctic shelf is currently undergoing dramatic thermal changes caused by the continued warming associated with Holocene sea level rise. During this transgression, comparatively warm waters have flooded over cold permafrost areas of the Arctic Shelf. A thermal pulse of more than 10°C is still propagating down into the submerged sediment and may be decomposing gas hydrate as well as permafrost.

www.agu.org...

[edit on 16-3-2007 by Muaddib]

posted on Mar, 16 2007 @ 05:08 PM
link   
This is something many people have been talking about for a while now. It seems to get stiffled when entered into the latest discussions on climate science since it now seems politics has hijacked it. People seem to live in a vacuum when it comes to this sort of thing. I think mentally, the human ego wants to believe time began with each of our individual perceptions of being. That same ego wants to believe that our race has control or effect over every part of our environment which is as absurd as the first premise.

The truth as we now understand it is that Earth's climate does change due to factors of which we have no influence or control, namely our solar system's sun however, since we cannot use that for political posturing, its better to suppress this.

Don't misunderstand, as an employee for my state's env. protection cabinet repairing terrain disturbed by mining, I see the worst of what man does to the environment but I also get to play a role in fixing it back. There is one thing I have learned and that is there is no place or subject that politics doesn't affect no matter what conventional science or engineering resolve.

posted on Mar, 16 2007 @ 07:31 PM
link   
astrocreep, you are right. This issue has become politicized to the point that any scientist who doubts that mankind has caused the 20th century warming is immediately labeled as an "oil stooge", a "government agent" or some such nonsense.

posted on Mar, 17 2007 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Muaddib

Sorry to tell you that even thou in that article they do say Little Ice Age, there have been other research which does demonstrates we are still having the effects of Holocene warming since we came out of the Ice Age. The Holocene is the period after the Ice Age.

We currently appear to be experiencing a second warming, with glaciers which expanded - particularly in West Antarctica - during the Neoglacial of the past 4,000 years now melting back again.

IMO the Neoglacial marked the end of the Holocene Interglacial proper and we should now be in the slow slide towards the next 'ice age' ...... I think this shows well in the Greenland ice cores. Of course, I may be wrong. I know that some scientists have suggested - based on Milankovitch cycles - that it may be another 10,000 years before we are due to see the start of the next ice age. My ideas do match with those of Ruddiman though, although in other areas we disagree

But is current warming just a blip on the downward trend? Or a reversal?

posted on Mar, 17 2007 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Muaddib
astrocreep, you are right. This issue has become politicized to the point that any scientist who doubts that mankind has caused the 20th century warming is immediately labeled as an "oil stooge", a "government agent" or some such nonsense.

Its true, but that argument also has a flipside. Everytime a scientist argues that mankind is not the sole cause of global warming, people assume that those who argue in favor of human influenced warming are overreacting. While its true that the warming trend may not be mainly caused by human efforts, its still our responsibility to not mindlessly pollute the earth because we feel that the warming is out of our hands.

posted on Mar, 17 2007 @ 01:36 PM
link   
I don't think anyone is saying we should mindlessly pollute the planet. I think the main statement made in this thread is that evidence should not be suppressed just because it doesn't jive.

If you don't think there is a lot riding on the public acceptance of global warming as its religion, I have news for you. The first clue is the refusal to look at all the evidence. There are millions of dollars of grant money riding on that premise and one the flip side, there are millions if not billions riding on petroleum industry...an industry to which I hold a great deal of scrutiny and maybe even malice.

However, I must look at all evidence, not just evidence that might fit my ego or personal like or dislike.

new topics

top topics

join