It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Possible "Afterlife" and How You Feel About It?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2007 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Hello my fellow ATSers. Since I was old enough to comprehend the fact that humans will not live forever, I've been completely compelled by the idea of the afterlife.

Ancient Societies believed in a form of an afterlife. The easiest one to reference, and for everyone to get a grasp of what I'm talking about, are the Ancient Egyptians. Now what I'm trying to get at is the entire concept of what happens after death. The Egyptians believed that when you die, you begin you're true life (or something along those lines, don't shoot me for being wrong haha). Basically, I'm saying that they believed that when you die, you go somewhere. There we go finally got that sentence out, now on to my question

Ok, there are many different views on what happens when you die. When I was 6 or 7 I started to think that you start your own life over and re-live your life again...BUT....you have some knowledge of mistakes you have made; in turn, getting a chance to right your wrongs. I'm not very sure on how you would know when these events happend, but over the years I have pondered the idea more and more, and come to a possible theory (well my own theory): your body will physically tell you. Say maybe those weird feelings you get when you think you're in a bad place or with the wrong people.

I'll give you an example to start this off. A little over a year ago, I was extremely addicted to Ecstasy. I basically would do anything to get those little guys and get completely zonked out of my mind. I also smoke copious amounts of pot as well. One day, my dealer was talking to me...well I was talking to him (very quickly) about how much he charges for ounces of pot. Basically he told me that I could "slang" for him and not pay too much for the bud. I left his house and went home for a few hours to think it through.

I decided that I would deal for him. While I got into my car to head to his place, my body kept shaking and I kept hearing a voice in my head saying: "It was the worst decision I've ever made in my life." Low and behold, I decided to support my habbit of binging on Ecstasy and deal pot.

It went well, very well, for a few months. Then, as my usage of Ecstasy increased, I slowly became increasingly paranoid and reclusive. Basically I hit rock bottom, and decided to get help. I went to my doctor, who sent me to a mental health clinic to get checked out. I was diagnosed with Bi-Polar and Schizo-Defective disorder. I do believe that some of it had to do with the drug abuse, but schizophrenia and bi-polar syndrom run on my mother and father's side of the family.

Now here is my question: That voice I heard telling me: "It was the worst decision I have ever made." Could it in some way have been my possible chance of righting a possible wrong? I never forgot about that sentence I heard that night, and is partially what helped me decide to get help. Is it possible that it was me communicating with myself from beyond or an alternate universe? I've been very perplexed with this question for sometime, and you guys seem to be the best ones to ask.

I want to let you all know that this is the first time I have ever disclosed this story with anyone. Not my parents, not my girlfriend, not even the doctors really. Why you ask? I was scared to death to tell anyone about this. I honestly believed I would be taken away somewhere and never see my loved ones again. But over the last year I've come to cope with the fact that I was extremely sick and possibly averted a big big disaster.

What are your guys' opinions on this? I know I'll get a few snide remarks and stuff. That's fine. But I honestly would like to hear what some of you think about my "theory" and what you also may think.

Wow, what a long post. I hope you guys take me seriously and feel open enough to share your own insight on the matter.

Droops

posted on Mar, 16 2007 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Droops,

Not being alive is impossible to imagine, its also really scary if you can be honest with yourself about it. Not being alive also goes sagainst our primal instincts, so the upshot is we tell ourselves every kind of lie about survival of a soul or spirit after death. The fact of it is that there is NO SOUL. Not in terms of any test science can devise. And science is the only reliable tool we have for making conclusions about reality. It is very very very easy to delude and decieve yourself about experiences that seem to support your hope in survival. So such psychological events such as hearing voices, can get plugged into a category that seem to offer evidence of survival. And also seem beyond the reach of science to refute. If it is truth that you want I would urge you to research the fallacy of mind body dualism, there are many exellent sceptic sites on the internet that adress this point. And it would be a good place to begin. If all you want is to find ways of supporting your belief in an after life, you will have alot of company,because many people dont want to let science and reason spoil theirfantasy of surviving death.

Robert S.

posted on Mar, 16 2007 @ 05:16 PM
link   
if we're not in an afterlife then whats this life called, first life? It's hard to say, but that voice you heard, the one about this could be the worst decision. I can relate. See I got the same mental illness you described, voices at first I thought were of spiritual origin.. nah they are just from your mind. I believed the same thing you did when you were younger, life as a groundhog day correcting your mistakes.. If thats the case I would of told myself something before I got the illness thats for sure... I know where you coming from feel free to U2

peace

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 01:00 AM
link   
When I was little, I used to think people lived over and over and over again, but in the next life, every thing you did was the opposite: example: You get in a fight with someone in one life, but in the next life, you will resolve the issue peacefully, that there are infinite possibilities.

But now I believe when you die, thats it, you're gone... pretty depressing.

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Well if there is infinity, which also creates unlimated dimensions there is an afterlife which scientifically would be a recreation of the body, mind and perception.

/7A

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 03:24 AM
link   
wouldnt u run out of "new experiences" if there was eternal life?

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 10:22 AM
link   
I guess eventually you would..

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 10:44 AM
link   
I believe that when you die, that's it, there's nothing else afterwards.

That's why I aim to fill my life with as many unforgettable moments as I can.

Grab life by the horns and hold on, because when it's over, it's over for good.

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Let me say first of all I was in the company of the inventors of Extasy many years ago. Pretty much it was designed by therapists to help open clients up to higher dimensions of one's self. It was never meant to be used commercially and then tainted like crack. First of all one needed to be absolutley pure and very clean internally. It was therapy for well minded people not unstable individuals. You were never to mix it with any kind of alchohol or soda ect. It was best to stay very hydrated with herbal teas and good waters. Oh well, as for what I think happens? Untill you take full responsibility for yourself, you will be repeating this earthly experience eternally. And this is one of the most beautiful planets (potentially) to live and grow in. There are other and many other less desireable planets you could be sent to. Be a light unto yourself. Be open to enlightenment but realize that all you "do" to attain will become a hinderance. I will be honest your "breath" is the biggest key I can tell you about.

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 12:02 PM
link   
I know I have posted this link many times in various threads and I will keep doing so when people question the existence or they say they know for certain there is no soul or an afterlife.

There is an on going study at the university of arizona gathering evidence for the existence of the afterlife.

veritas.arizona.edu...

Veritas recently published a peer reviewed triple blind study that provides proof of the afterlife imho.

veritas.arizona.edu...

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 02:30 AM
link   
That little voice saying "This is the Worst Mistake..." .
Subconscious vs Conscious mind.

Our thinking Self is not completely in control of our bodies. It really is just the tip iceberg in the decision making process.

Down in the Subconscious, decisions are being devised, not aways using pure logic, but based on our weightings of emotion, desire, habit, instinct. It's the Animal making decisions.

So even though you logically think "This is a Stupid Idea! Don't Do It!", that subterranean animal still Wants It, and often wins out.

[edit on 19-4-2007 by emjoi]

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 02:54 AM
link   
I posted my experience dying in another thread, which ill just paste it in here.

well I died one night (from insulin shock) was gone between 5-10 minutes according to my 13 year old, he called my mom and her husband performed cpr on me, I didnt go anywhere lol, all I remember is when I came back the first time was feeling extreme COLDNESS, very cold and very dark.
Died again in the ambulance and again at the ER but those two times I was resuscitated in a matter of minutes if not seconds. Blackness and cold, thats all i recall feeling after the first time

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 04:09 AM
link   
When you die thats it, your brain and everything you know is gone

thats what I believe.

That coldness is maybe from the heart stopping to pump yor warm blood.

[edit on 19-4-2007 by NLDelta9]

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by NLDelta9
When you die thats it, your brain and everything you know is gone

thats what I believe.

That coldness is maybe from the heart stopping to pump yor warm blood.

[edit on 19-4-2007 by NLDelta9]

Yea i guess so. Everyone that was there, my son, mother and her b/f or husband w/e told me that my face was extremely blue, especially the lips.
It was a horrible experience for me, I used to think that I wasnt afraid of death, until that night. Everytime I ponder life and death etc. I think of that night and how i felt. I remember that night, I was setting at my desktop pc and talking to people on MSN and in a Quake 3 game server and I guess I just slumped over.. Thank god my moms boyfriend knew CPR..
When the medics (EMT) got there, I vaguely remember becoming even more scared for some reason. I was yelling to my mom to not let them take me because if they did I was never going to see them again

I remember thinking that they were death, coming to take me away for good this time
I dont know why I thought that either. The doctor said that when this happens to people hey get confused for a time due to it being so dramatic and also when people suffer diabetic shock can sometimes feel strange and get confused.
It took the Dr. a few times to keep my heart going, finally had to resort to stabbing some adrenaline in me and using the paddles.

posted on Apr, 20 2007 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Aside from a few very dubious stories, once I'm dead, I expect I will remain dead, with no memories, feelings, emotions, or sense of time passing. Some people may wish for an afterlife, but if it is at all reminiscent of this life, with its constant battle against pain and boredom, I hope it doesn't exist. Even as old as I am now, I get tired of just trying to decide what to eat.

I think that this one life should be plenty for anyone, if you do it right.

posted on Apr, 20 2007 @ 08:00 PM
link   
When I was 21 I had a near death experience. Before that I refused to belief in any kind of afterlife. I could see no possibility of it. Afterwards, I could see no possibility that there isn't.

I was swimming at midnight in a lake, really a flooded brick quarry but very clean water, with my brother and a few friends. We had gone quite far out with a dinghy and all headed back to shore to leave a guy and a girl who were just getting together on the boat. I had always been a weak swimmer up to that point and quickly fell behind the others. I think because of the drink and drugs I'd had, with food too, my legs began to cramp up. I was treading water with my hands and began working out how far from shore I was. Then my arms began to cramp up to the extent that I couldn't keep myself up any more.

I remember quite calmly calculating that there was no point wasting breath trying to shout for anyone because they were so far ahead. So I slipped beneath the surface and started to breathe water straight away. I instantly started to feel warmth and see shifting colours that I can't even describe. It felt like being immersed in liquid love. No fear, no pain... until I started feeling the most intense pain in the top of my head. My brother had hold of my hair and pulled me up. He must have swum like a dolphin to get to me that quickly. Apparently he'd looked back to check on me and saw me go under (there was a bright moon, not far off full). Anyway, when he'd dragged me near the shore one of the girls brought out the windsurfer (minus sail) for me to grab. Unfortunately the pointy bit smashed me in the mouth. So I ended, I'm afraid, vomitting water and blood on the shore, saying: "well thankyou very much!". Not very gracious really, considering they'd saved my life.

As of then I've had no fear of death. It could be that I missed my alotted checkout slot, though. Because now I have developed a Chronic pain syndrome that has affected every part of my body. Bones, brain, muscles, veins, tendons and skin. I am in constant, searing pain now, and actively look forward to an end to it, but won't contemplate suicide until my Father has joined my Mother. No parent should outlive their child, even if that child is suffering, right? Then. We shall see.

Sorry. That was meant to be a bit more positive than that.

posted on Apr, 20 2007 @ 11:15 PM
link   
WOW, thanks you guys for such great input.

I personally am not too sure what I really believe in, for an afterlife. In one hand it would be cool if you just shifted to an alternate universe and relieved past memories but in opposite ways (as one of you said). But, it'd also be kinda nice to finally be "at peace" and not worrying about the chaos of life.

It is a bit depressing the world that, the powers that be, have brought upon us. Yet, I still feel this small glimmer of hope or urge to stay positive about what's ahead of us. I have a saying "You can never succeed if you never fail". I feel that it is more true than I would like to believe. Hopefully some of you can use that phrase in your own life and help get you through some tough times. I know it has helped me. Life is a learning experience and how you decided to execute your decisions is what guides you down your own path.

I hope to hear more from you guys and see what other "theories" we can conjour up.

-Dr( ! Y ! )Pies

P.S.- I'm still waiting on that flying car that they used to talk about, that would be AWESOME!

[edit on 20-4-2007 by DrOOpieS]

new topics

top topics

join