It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Only The Good Die Young

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2007 @ 10:41 PM
link   
There is an old saying “only the good die young” but where does this ^old saying^ come from? Is there any truth in it?

I think there is actually - everybody knows about great people such as princess diana who spent their life 24/7 helping out others and i myself have personally known many good people who have died sooooo young, so you haveto say to yourself ‘why?‘ especially when there’s paedophiles and serial killers rotting in jail living into their 80 somethings :/

So when you do say WHY The only conclusion I’ve come to is this:-

if there is a god, god must think this ‘good person’ has done everything he/she can achieve in life and they have earned their right to sit with him in the kingdom of heaven, those ‘bad’ people who outlive EVERYONE :/ maybe god thinks there is still hope for them and maybe lets them live that long to change or do good in their life.

What’s your views on this subject?

[edit on 15-3-2007 by st3ve_o]

posted on Mar, 16 2007 @ 01:26 AM
link   
I don't think there is all that much truth in the statement. Mother Teresa was pretty old when she died. So was Gandhi. I don't think it depends on the level of "goodness".

Some people just have a mission to do, and once it's done, they must subconciously think "My work here is done", and not mind too much about death (anyone ever see that movie about the kid? "Simon", I think the name was). Others just get in tragic accidents.

posted on Mar, 16 2007 @ 02:07 AM
link   
Only the good die young has anyone have any reference to this expression before Billy Joel's album in the late 1970's?

No, this expression is not accurate.

All you need to do is look at the number of murders in young gang related turf wars. Or for a clearer understanding, have a look at the amount of school shootings, where in most cases the perpetrator commits suicide.

You also have to keep this in mind: What determines what is considered good, and what is not.

Let's have a look at two scenarios.

1) Out of a fit of jealousy and rage, a young man strikes and kills two people.
2) Several people start to mug a couple. The young man in the couple defends themselves. As a result of the couple's survival, two of the muggers die.

Both scenarios involve two deaths. But obviously one would state that the first is considered bad, while the latter is considered good. Why? Who decides?
I am not talking about omniscient being. I am, ofcourse talking of the morality and law of man. The first one will be given an extended amount of gaol time. He did the wrong thing, and will live. So far the expression holds out. But what of the latter? The young man did the right thing. If the expression was true, surely the courts would execute him. This notion is ludicrous, and is supposed to be.

On a side note, I believe that no single action can be deemed as good, or bad.
The outcome of your morality is defined by how you carry out those actions, what lead to those actions, and what environments you are forced to endure.

Via this, no man can deterine another's morality, let alone the suitable outcome.

posted on Mar, 16 2007 @ 02:36 AM
link   
IF only the good die young...then may I be as evil as possible to live eternally.

Seriously though, I think its natural to come to the following conclusion.
The good die young, because the 'good' are those obsessed with what is taught is 'good'.
Like Paul said, "the good i want to do, I cannot do, the bad I dont want to do, that is what I do."

So the poor 'good boy/girl' basically eats away at themselves...cancer devours their body (worry, stress, etc.) and it takes its toll through some illness or accident.

The thing is we have to start looking at the sh** in ourselves.
Dive into ourselves to see how we operate and we (the good ones) will see plenty of evil.

The goal in looking is not to blame yourself for it, but to catch yourself doing it.

But, the ego (especially with the religious pious) says something like this: "I got to stop doing that..."
But you wont stop doing it...you will keep doing it...the ONLY thing that will stop is your awareness of your doing it. (ever hear of the religious hypocrite? they dont know that they are being double minded, etc. They are busy hiding from themselves while imposing strict roles on everyone else. Most evangelical christians are like the pharisees that they condemn. The pharisees were the evangelical jews...Jesus said, "you go through the world and make your converts twice the son of hell that you are..."

I have already blogged at my ATS blog about the sons of hell.

What is more dangerous than doing evil is blinding yourself to the fact that you are doing it. The greatest way that the ego has to make sure we stay in darkness is to, once you catch yourself doing 'evil', is to say something like, "Im not going to do that any more," - "God forgive me, I will not do this," etc. - You WILL do it again, dont deceive yourself.

We are not perfectible, cause there is nothing that needs to be perfected.

Christ lives in us and we no longer live.

The 'I' that no longer lives is the ego that I have been discussing with you here.
The Christ in you, is not some mysterious little man living in the organs of your body (i.e. the heart), but the 'consciousness' and awareness of the activities of the mind.

Love. Love is acceptance. Love is space for yourself and others to be.

If a book moist from being in a dark, damp room...put it in the sun.
The sun will dry it out. Not because it NEEDS to...but because it is natural.

Same with consciousness...it naturally changes your characteristic. To put it clearer...it allows you to become able to make conscious choices in life.

Peace

dAlen

posted on Mar, 16 2007 @ 04:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by st3ve_o:/

So when you do say WHY The only conclusion I’ve come to is this:-

if there is a god, god must think this ‘good person’ has done everything he/she can achieve in life and they have earned their right to sit with him in the kingdom of heaven, those ‘bad’ people who outlive EVERYONE :/ maybe god thinks there is still hope for them and maybe lets them live that long to change or do good in their life.

[edit on 15-3-2007 by st3ve_o]

well, it is a nice analogy. But and there is a but.

My friends daughter who was only 15 (just turned) was just recently, brutally murdered. If the good die young as it is said, why does the death have to be so traumatic? So horrific?

I guess I feel that if god thought the person was so good, why didn't he just take her peacefully in her sleep?

I think people say, the good die young and attach something good to something very negative and hard to deal with as a way of coping.

Helps people to accept the death of a loved one. Horrific murders are hard enough to deal with and perhaps this analogy may just get the grieving parents through the night.

posted on Mar, 16 2007 @ 06:55 AM
link   
Here's a site giving info about the phrase:

www.phrases.org.uk...

So it's a really old saying.

Like most our phrases come from Shakespeare (a rose by any other name... etc) this one comes from a Greek play.

[edit on 16/3/07 by jimboman]

posted on Mar, 16 2007 @ 09:11 AM
link   
YA it's old. But sometimes true. Marten luther king, Elvis, Jimmy handrex. But good people die old too. Rossa parks, owww, and that superman guy. HE waz owsome.
I bouce peace

posted on Mar, 16 2007 @ 05:03 PM
link   
I think you die when you accomplish your life's mission, whatever that may be, that is when you leave this earth.

posted on Mar, 16 2007 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by st3ve_o
There is an old saying “only the good die young” but where does this ^old saying^ come from? Is there any truth in it?

I do not believe this statement was referring to the physical self or the body.

I believe the saying originated with the precept of an individual choosing to "kill" (for lack of a better term) their ID, or conscious mind's opinion. In other words a person who "dies young" has chosen not to be a subserviant conformist who is slave to the instinct of SELFISHNESS, otherwise called original sin or "Self PRE-Serve" (self prior to serving anyone or anything since there is no end to the cellular prime directive).

When a person "dies young" they make a conscious choice to put the needs (not wants) of the truth of others above their wants and needs.

After such a choice is made to no longer be an automated biological manifestation of "self pre-serve", the overwhelming percentage of the brain known as the subconscious or unconscious is released to the conscious mind (at a rate that is not detrimental), so a person can know what is transpiring in the other 99.999999997% of their brain, as well as 98+% of their own dna, of which science has no explanation for what it does, or why such dna even exists. (called "junk dna" or "introns"). Also, one may have better communication with the cells in their body which are not containing human dna. (For every human cell in the human body, there are 10 cells that are not human cells).

So, essentially the phrase "only the good die young" is more of a metaphore for people who actually wake up to many truths prior to their physical body beginning to fall apart.

Want an example or a few of how people don't even know themselves or their own consciousness?

Go look in the mirror and tell yourself (or merely think it) how many are looking back at you through the mirror. One, right?

Yet every cell that comprises that thought knows that 0 + 0 = 0. In fact 0 + 0 + a multitude of 0s still will equall Zero no matter how many zeros there are.

Brain virus

You see one in the mirror.

Each brain cell that comprises that thought knows that logically a whole bunch of zeros added together equal zero.

So, all your cells which are by your standards zero self aware, zero self conscious, and zero intelligence are stuck with a delema. If they are all zeros, and the sum is zero, then how do a bunch of zeros add up to make ONE?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

People only consciously experience second hand their own senses if their own senses input is compatible with the conscious mind's programming (Free Will to choose what to believe), while all First Hand experiences from all sensory input goes to the Subconscious/unconscious mind prior to being made available to the conscious mind's knowledge.

"Only the good die young" refers to people who are not afraid of not belonging, not afraid of not being accepted, but rather do not permit themselves to be defined by the fears of others.

people. interesting breed. praising love while not knowing that what it is they love the most is usually defined by what it is they fear losing the most.

"look i fear"

i hear no "a" sound in "fear". It isn't really there, and takes up less space. tree friendly

"look i fer"

but "c" also makes the "k" sound, and takes up less space. tree friendly

"looc i fer"

but, "u" also makes the "oo" sound, and takes up less space. tree friendly

luc i fer (lucifer) is "look i fear"

poor brain cells and their virus of "zero".

perhaps people can retrieve those cells if they themselves spend one second observing while knowing that they are zero as well, having empathy for what it is they have put their own cells through.

Then perhaps such people who have thought of themselves as "Zero" can put a "zero" on top of their heads, too. just like saints.

666? "takes one to know one"

6666?

6th book, 6th chapter, 6th verse, 6th word: nun

6th prime number? = 17

6th book, 6th chapter, 6th prime numbered word (17th word): none

Only the good die young? knowing what it is you would die for is not the same as knowing what it is you would live for.

top topics

join