It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Report: Earth's Sunscreen Diminishing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2007 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Particles in the atmosphere from pollution and natural volcanic eruptions which caused a phenomena called Global dimming, which has for years been a counterbalance to the greenhouse gas caused Global warming has diminshed in a new report from NASA.

Global 'sunscreen' has likely thinned, report NASA scientists

A new NASA study has found that an important counter-balance to the warming of our planet by greenhouse gases – sunlight blocked by dust, pollution and other aerosol particles – appears to have lost ground.

The thinning of Earth’s "sunscreen" of aerosols since the early 1990s could have given an extra push to the rise in global surface temperatures. The finding, published today in the journal Science, may lead to an improved understanding of recent climate change. In a related study published last week, scientists found that the opposing forces of global warming and the cooling from aerosol-induced "global dimming" can occur at the same time.

posted on Mar, 16 2007 @ 11:26 AM
link   
This has been a concern for me for a while now, ever since I learned about global dimming.

I believe this report may also accounts for the following news:

Winter warmth breaks all records

Winter in the Northern Hemisphere this year has been the warmest since records began more than 125 years ago, a US government agency says.
The combined land and ocean surface temperature from December to February was 0.72C (1.3F) above average

Snowless winter first for Tokyo

The Japanese capital has experienced its first winter without snow for 131 years, weather officials say.
The Japan Meteorological Agency said it had recorded no snow in central Tokyo between December and the end of February, the official winter months.

This the first time no snow has fallen in winter since records began in 1876, the agency said.

Now this is truly what we call runaway effect.

We need to somehow increase the particulate in the atmosphere in a non toxic way as well as reduce carbon emissions to be able to fight global warming.

I wonder if all the stories of chem trails are really a secret project to increase particulate??

All the best,

NeoN HaZe.

posted on Mar, 16 2007 @ 12:00 PM
link   
You have voted JacKatMtn for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have two more votes this month.

A massively important thing... double edged sword if there was ever one.

Thanks I knew about the global dimming reducing but I hadnt seen the new nasa study.

Regards

Elf

posted on Mar, 16 2007 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by JacKatMtn
Particles in the atmosphere from pollution and natural volcanic eruptions which caused a phenomena called Global dimming ........ has diminshed in a new report from NASA.

Pollution diminished?? COOL.. I knew the Earth has its own way to clean itself.

So, where did it diminish to??

posted on Mar, 16 2007 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Our kids will hate us for what we and our fathers consciously did, without any kind of long-term solution. Come on people, let's have fun before Earth looks like a gigantic oven !

posted on Mar, 16 2007 @ 03:19 PM
link   
What do you suggest -- perhaps a big Caligula-style party?! LOL ...byob! Toga! Toga! Toga!
I wonder if it's even possible that we an do anything to stop this from happening. Even if we cut all carbon emissions, eliminated all aerosols and drove electric segways to work wearing boxers and KISS Gene Simmons makeup wouldn't make any difference at all.

[edit on 16-3-2007 by carnival_of_souls2047]

posted on Mar, 16 2007 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Neon Haze
This has been a concern for me for a while now, ever since I learned about global dimming.

I believe this report may also accounts for the following news:

Winter in the Northern Hemisphere this year has been the warmest since records began more than 125 years ago, a US government agency says.
The combined land and ocean surface temperature from December to February was 0.72C (1.3F) above average

Snowless winter first for Tokyo

The Japanese capital has experienced its first winter without snow for 131 years, weather officials say.
The Japan Meteorological Agency said it had recorded no snow in central Tokyo between December and the end of February, the official winter months.

This the first time no snow has fallen in winter since records began in 1876, the agency said.

Now this is truly what we call runaway effect.

We need to somehow increase the particulate in the atmosphere in a non toxic way as well as reduce carbon emissions to be able to fight global warming.

I wonder if all the stories of chem trails are really a secret project to increase particulate??

All the best,

NeoN HaZe.

So, how does a snowless winter have anything to do with Global Warming and a temperature increase of less than 1.5 degrees? 1.5 degrees is not enough to stop snow from falling, sorry.

posted on Mar, 16 2007 @ 06:19 PM
link   
at least that is my contention.And it will take a change of heart in all men before we will begin to find the real long term solutions to the problems we will ultimately keep on creating for ourselves till our hearts truly do undergo catharsis of the highest orders...
Till then nothing but grief for promised joy.

posted on Mar, 16 2007 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Johnmike
So, how does a snowless winter have anything to do with Global Warming and a temperature increase of less than 1.5 degrees? 1.5 degrees is not enough to stop snow from falling, sorry.

Talk about argumentative.

If you can't see the correlation between the events then that’s not my problem.

Do your own research. Knowledge doesn't come for free!!

All the best,

NeoN HaZe.

posted on Mar, 16 2007 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Dimming hmmmmmmm this all can be fixed very easily but people don't listen or believe.

Get on the Government to stop spraying the chemtrails and as I have tried to tell everyone PLANT TREES in mass BEFORE IT IS TO LATE.

posted on Mar, 17 2007 @ 06:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Neon Haze

From the same article:

But it did not see the high temperature as evidence of man-made global warming.

posted on Mar, 17 2007 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Classified Info
From the same article:

But it did not see the high temperature as evidence of man-made global warming.

Don't people read articles in their entirety anymore??

From the same article just 2 paragraphs down.

However, Mr Lawrimore said the research was part of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) process, which released a report last month that found global climate change "very likely" has a human cause.

"We know as a part of that, the conclusions have been reached and the warming trend is due in part to rises in greenhouse gas emissions," he said.

The IPCC panel concluded that it was at least 90% certain that human emissions of greenhouse gases rather than natural variations are warming the planet's surface.

All the best,

NeoN HaZe.

[edit on 17-3-2007 by Neon Haze]

posted on Mar, 17 2007 @ 09:36 AM
link   
I did read it in it's entirety and I thought that the statement that I included, which you left out, held some importance. That's all.

Now let's got back to the esteemed Jay Lawrimore of Noaa's National Climatic Data Center. Here is another articlle covering the same story.

www.cnn.com...

The combined temperature for the December-February period was 1.3 degrees F (0.72 degree C) above the 20th century mean, the agency said.

Lawrimore did not give an absolute temperature for the three-month period, and said the deviation from the mean was what was important. He did not provide the 20th century mean temperature.

Okey Dokey!

posted on Mar, 17 2007 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Doesn't an increase in CO2 lead to increased plant growth which then would lead to an increase in Oxygen?

new topics

top topics

join