It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If Pot is the Only Thing Keeping Her Alive, Let Her Die

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2007 @ 04:23 PM
link   
www.unknowncountry.com...

One of the most horrifying acts of judicial barbarism in American history has just occurred, in yet another example of the insanity of our ineffective drug laws: A federal appeals court has decided that if the only thing that will keep a patient alive is medical marijuana, that individual may be put in prison, deprived of the substance, and left to die. "Oh my God," were the words that desperately ill Angel Raich, a 41- year-old Oakland, California mother of two who depends on medical marijuana for her life, uttered as the savage ruling was read.

The Supreme Court had already ruled that federal law prevailed in the Raich case over California law, which allows the use of medical marijuana. As a result, the only question before the 9th US Circuit Court of Appeals was whether or not a person's right to life is more important that the federal prohibition against marijuana.

The court ruled that federal law is more important than the lives of US citizens.

We can spend millions, even billions on fighting a futile war and prosecuting drug users, but we seem to have no money available to try to stem the effects of global warming, and good intentions are not enough. But don't despair: there are lots of things YOU can do: The Key is not only how much you know, but how much you care.

posted on Mar, 15 2007 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Around 1982 when I lived in London, my wife was a film producer working for a company called Falkman Film and Video. It was in many respects a satellite office of the BBC.

The company was commissioned by the British American Tobacco company to train its executives on interview techniques to minimise the damage being done to their industry by the anti-smoking lobby.

During that time she was taken to a manufacturing facility somewhere in the midlands, if I remember correctly. She was shown - as part of her background research in understanding her clients aims - The equipement and branding that was going to be used for the legal manufacture and packaging of marijuana.

The governmantal approval to do this was being dangled infront of them as an inticement to get them to abandon the sale of tobacco. BAT genuinly saw it as a way of saving a multi billion dollar industry, and likewise the government saw it as a way to retain the tax revenue they would lose with the demise of smoking tobacco.

It never came to pass and many believe it was a moral stand that prevented the British government from legalising Canabis at that time.

Unfortunately that was not the case. It was the Pharmacutical industry who PERSUADED those in power to stop legalisation, and I don't think I need to elaborate on what their likely motives where.

In relationship to the quoted article, I think my wifes experiences shine light on the fact that morals have price tags attached to them. And when the price is right, such will be the time for legalisation.

Edited for spelling.

[edit on 15-3-2007 by Seeker PI]

posted on Mar, 15 2007 @ 08:32 PM
link   
I don't really understand the Title of this thread. Was it to provoke, or is it plain ignorance by the OP?

Anyway, since this is an opinion discussion here are my .02
Cannabis is a plant. Making it illegal when it can the help out not only our environment but our way of thinking was a incorrect approach to creating less socialite dissonance. This is an example of "Kicking people while they are down" mentality.

Society as a whole, preys on the ignorant or lower class. Let this woman rest in peace.

May the Living rest in peace as well as the dead. The only reason for Government AT ALL is CONTROL.

Is everyone was sweet and nice, there would be no reason for the government because people could(as a community) work together as whole.

I am pretty sure real human nature is loathing and greed which must be mastered. Truth compassion and selflessness does exist, but in to few to create an EGO LESS society.

[edit on 15-3-2007 by Cerkit Breaker]

posted on Mar, 15 2007 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cerkit Breaker
Is everyone was sweet and nice, there would be no reason for the government because people could(as a community) work together as whole.

Which we did just fine until the elite and their governments created the divisions, through public schooling and other ways, that now cause us to work against each other. We don't need government, they need us.

posted on Mar, 16 2007 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Funkydung
www.unknowncountry.com...

One of the most horrifying acts of judicial barbarism in American history has just occurred, in yet another example of the insanity of our ineffective drug laws: A federal appeals court has decided that if the only thing that will keep a patient alive is medical marijuana, that individual may be put in prison, deprived of the substance, and left to die. "Oh my God," were the words that desperately ill Angel Raich, a 41- year-old Oakland, California mother of two who depends on medical marijuana for her life, uttered as the savage ruling was read.

The Supreme Court had already ruled that federal law prevailed in the Raich case over California law, which allows the use of medical marijuana. As a result, the only question before the 9th US Circuit Court of Appeals was whether or not a person's right to life is more important that the federal prohibition against marijuana.

The court ruled that federal law is more important than the lives of US citizens.

We can spend millions, even billions on fighting a futile war and prosecuting drug users, but we seem to have no money available to try to stem the effects of global warming, and good intentions are not enough. But don't despair: there are lots of things YOU can do: The Key is not only how much you know, but how much you care.

Ummm... there's a few bits of interesting language used in the quote that really alter the meaning to me...

She isn't being kept alive by pot, it's allowing her to have an appetitie and generally feel ok, compared to the synthetic options she has. It's not the pot keeping her alive.

California is allowing her to do it, but the federal government is not. It never has, and it will take some time before it finally does. So when a patient in California is given the medical pot, they do so with an understanding of drug laws in this country.

She did not utter 2 words, she said somethng along the lines of "Of course I'm going to keep using it, I'm not going to let them kill me, Oh my god!"

The question is not right to life it's quality of life. She will live the same length of time if she uses pot, or one of several other options to treat her loss of appetite and generally poor feelings from day to day.

So while I agree with the overall statement echoed in that article, that one is really trying to skew things in a very poor direction. Skewing = bad. Tell it how it is.

new topics

top topics

join