It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nerves Transmit Sound, Not Electricity?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2007 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Source:
www.livescience.com...

Nerves transmit sound waves through your body, not electrical pulses, according to a controversial new study that tries to explain the longstanding mystery of how anesthetics work.

Ok so why does my muscles contract if I hug a high power line?

ok gets better:

Textbooks say nerves use electrical impulses to transmit signals from the brain to the point of action, be it to wag a finger or blink an eye.

Yes I was taught the same thing since I was a kid....

Now this is the part that made me question what I had learned:

"But for us as physicists, this cannot be the explanation," says Thomas Heimburg, a Copenhagen University researcher whose expertise is in the intersection of biology and physics. "The physical laws of thermodynamics tell us that electrical impulses must produce heat as they travel along the nerve, but experiments find that no such heat is produced."

So my question is how did they try to measure heat on a nerve?

Any thoughts?

posted on Mar, 15 2007 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Also posted here:

www.belowtopsecret.com...

[edit on 3/15/2007 by djohnsto77]

posted on Mar, 15 2007 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Oh yes I forgot the part that scared me:

Oddly, scientists don't understand exactly what happens when a patient is anesthetized. While the goal of an anesthetic is to prevent the brain from feeling pain, the drugs can affect a patient's heart rate and breathing. So a better understanding of how it all works would allow development of better drugs.

Ok ok I know some peopel will say we have tried them for years how come no one has died....but I will just mention some illneses that ahve no aparent explanation:

- Autism
- Alzheimers

Im not making any links between Anesthetics and autims however should not there be a label telling you "we dont understand how this works but you should not feel any pain"

posted on Mar, 15 2007 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
Also posted here:

www.belowtopsecret.com...

[edit on 3/15/2007 by djohnsto77]

thanks I made the original poster know that I made a thread whithout knowing this was posted on BTS, thanks for the heads up.

also postedd my thoughts on his thread.

[edit on 3/15/2007 by a1ex]

new topics

top topics

join