It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New leopard species found in Borneo

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2007 @ 01:19 PM
link   
This is great news.
Its great to see with all the species humanity wipes out,theres still some new ones to discover.
Hopefully this will help with protecting Borneo from the all the logging companies.

(MSNBC)-GENEVA - A type of leopard found on the Southeast Asian island of Borneo and believed to be related to its mainland cousin is in fact a completely new cat species, WWF said Thursday.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

The conservation group said American scientists compared the DNA of the clouded leopard with that of its mainland cousin and determined the two populations diverged some 1.4 million years ago.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

The clouded leopard is Borneo's largest predator, has the longest canine teeth relative to its size of any cat, and can grow as large as a small panther.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

There are estimated to be between 5,000 and 11,000 of these animals left in Borneo's rain forests, which are threatened by logging and are believed to hold many more undiscovered species, WWF said.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

In December the organization, which is based in Gland, Switzerland, announced scientists had found at least 52 new species in Borneo, including 30 types of fish, two tree frogs and several plants.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

[edit on 15-3-2007 by Black_Fox]

posted on Mar, 15 2007 @ 02:31 PM
link   
If you haven't seen it check out Expedition Borneo on the discovery channel. It is outstanding, I think a lot of the new species were found during the filming of this.

I think they have it as a IMAX movie to.

posted on Mar, 15 2007 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by testrat
If you haven't seen it check out Expedition Borneo on the discovery channel. It is outstanding, I think a lot of the new species were found during the filming of this.

I think they have it as a IMAX movie to.

Ya i did see that actually.
Awesome scenery.
And i watched in in HD.
It was caught on camera by accident.
They guy was hoping to catch something else.
Anyone who hasnt seen it,should check it out at least once.

posted on Mar, 15 2007 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Found another article about the leopard.

It is a modern-day sabre-tooth tiger with fearsome fangs capable of killing its prey in a single bite.
This clouded leopard which feasts on monkeys, deer and pigs has been discovered living deep in the Borneo rain forest.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Source

top topics

join