It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Major Powers at U.N. Reach Deal on Sanctions for Iran

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2007 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Major Powers at U.N. Reach Deal on Sanctions for Iran

www.foxnews.com

UNITED NATIONS — The six world powers reached an agreement Thursday on a new package of sanctions against Iran for its nuclear program.

This is a developing story. Refresh the page for updates.

Earlier Thursday, a proposed new package of sanctions against Iran for enriching uranium appeared headed to the U.N. Security Council after ambassadors for six world powers resolved remaining differences.

The six-nation show of unity would be unlikely to meet strong opposition from the other 10 members on the council, which must approve the measures. A vote was expected in the days to come.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 15 2007 @ 10:26 AM
link   
I think this is a great development in the current Iranian conflict. Proper sanctions should prove enough to get Iran to back off from it's nuclear intentions. It will be very interesting to see how Iran takes this news.

Hopefully sanctions can keep us from going to war with Iran, I guess time will tell!

www.foxnews.com

posted on Mar, 15 2007 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Low orbit do you have a link to the 10 countries involved. I believe that the UN has more than 10 countries as members, so it will be interesting to see who are the ones in favor beside obvious ones.

posted on Mar, 15 2007 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Double standards if you ask me, they are imposing sanctions on Iran for trying to obtain the nucler bomb, but they wont impose sanctions on the UK for wanting to upgrade their arsenal.
Just goes to show if your not in the big boys club then you dont get any benefits or guaranatees eh....

posted on Mar, 15 2007 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Low orbit do you have a link to the 10 countries involved. I believe that the UN has more than 10 countries as members, so it will be interesting to see who are the ones in favor beside obvious ones.

There are more than 100 countries in the U.N, in fact I believe that there
are only three countries that are'nt, however the security council, which
is deciding this is comprised of only a few of the overall membership.

Originally posted by spencerjohnstone
Double standards if you ask me, they are imposing sanctions on Iran for trying to obtain the nucler bomb, but they wont impose sanctions on the UK for wanting to upgrade their arsenal.
Just goes to show if your not in the big boys club then you dont get any benefits or guaranatees eh....

The UK is'nt hell bent on destroying the free world and threatening to
annhialte other countries either.

It is the duty of the world to prevent further nuclear proliferation.

And besides that upgrading existing stock is a good thin anyways.
Also, are you sure you don't mean the U.S., I know that we are replacing
our own old warheads with new ones, but I was'nt aware the UK was any
time soon.

posted on Mar, 15 2007 @ 07:32 PM
link   
they are referring to the security council I think.

Membership in 2007

The Council is composed of five permanent members — China, France, Russian Federation, the United Kingdom and the United States — and ten non-permament members (with year of term's end):

Belgium (2008) Italy (2008) Qatar (2007)
Congo (Republic of the) (2007)
Panama (2008) Slovakia (2007)
Ghana (2007) Peru (2007) South Africa (2008)
Indonesia (2008)

This comes from www.un.org...

as to who the 6 world powers might be, I'd say take the 5 permanent members of the aforementioned council and add Germany perhaps

posted on Mar, 15 2007 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Crakeur
they are referring to the security council I think.

Thanks, Crakeur I wanted to see if China and Russia were on the ten list.

posted on Mar, 15 2007 @ 08:26 PM
link   
given the current state of things, it's still not likely that Mr. Bush is going to get the war that he wants. If it comes, it most likely will be carries out on the next President's watch.

posted on Mar, 15 2007 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Low Orbit

I think this is a great development in the current Iranian conflict. Proper sanctions should prove enough to get Iran to back off from it's nuclear intentions. It will be very interesting to see how Iran takes this news.

Hopefully sanctions can keep us from going to war with Iran, I guess time will tell!

www.foxnews.com

What makes you think proper sanctions are going to make Iran bow to the west?

I think there going to look at it and laugh.. because sanctions will ONLY harm the people, and turn them against the west....
They have the uranium,and the Russians are building the nuclear plant.

Sanctions will do nothing but WEAKEN the country before the war.
But again thats the plan!....

posted on Mar, 15 2007 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Chop makes agood point, but I also think that it's popular in many circles to posture against Iran just now. Once again, I find myself scratchng my head. Again. There are any number of pallatable reasons that most countries could give for making war on Iran. It says alot about what's really going on that none of those reasons are being used.

posted on Mar, 16 2007 @ 07:14 AM
link   
Chop, you need to take into consideration the state of Iran itself. The people are, generally, not thrilled with their leadership and the western powers (ok, the US) sees sanctions as a chance to punish the nation which will hopefully lead to a change in gov't there via normal processes or via uprising.

In the Bush administration's eyes, the sanctions will cause the people to welcome us with open arms when we do make our move. They want to crush the nation from the inside and then move in with savior like status.

It's an old ploy and it won't work.

posted on Mar, 16 2007 @ 07:34 AM
link   
Under the current conditions, I don't think it would work because the effort would be mismanaged. the actual situation in Iraq will make it nearly impossible to spark revolt inside iran for the forseeable future.

posted on Mar, 16 2007 @ 08:32 AM
link   

And besides that upgrading existing stock is a good thin anyways.

Also, are you sure you don't mean the U.S., I know that we are replacing
our own old warheads with new ones, but I was'nt aware the UK was any
time soon.

Yeah and is left to foot the bill of upgrading the UK's Nukes? The British Taxpayer, Oh joy 20 billion quid down the drain....

An no Its the UK who is upgarding their arsenal, (was voted in the UK Parliement yeasterday, not the US.

The UK is'nt hell bent on destroying the free world and threatening to

Naw T.Blair is just hell bent on securing oil for the UK and the US, since we are running out of it....

posted on Mar, 16 2007 @ 09:51 AM
link   
The problem is that if Russia and China are not backing the sanctions nothing is going to happen.

Now Iran is not Iraq when Saddam, and their get to elect their government and the people will have a chance to change their leader when the time comes, not when the present administration of the US wants it to happen.

Nobody tells US to change regimes even when we have a terrible government as the one we have right now.

It happens when the time comes, and Iran have the same time of government system of elections.

In Iraq It was no elections during Saddam.

posted on Mar, 16 2007 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Now Iran is not Iraq when Saddam, and their get to elect their government and the people will have a chance to change their leader when the time comes, not when the present administration of the US wants it to happen.

In Iraq It was no elections during Saddam.

I thought Saddam was "elected" by the people in a vote with him against nobody.

I also thought Iran held elections that were somewhat along the same lines. The people running were selected or approved by the Clerics.

I might be way off on one or both of those countries. It won't be the first time I am completely wrong.

posted on Mar, 16 2007 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Yes Iran have one of the most complex system of government that has work very well and lets not forget that all the propaganda feed to us is distorted some times about how Iran government works.

Remember that the changes in the government came after the bad government that our own nation was supporting, for some reason our nation seems to love totalitarian governments as long as they are friendly and complaisant with the US.

Look at Iraq; they now have what they didn’t have under Saddam, clerical control in the government.

www.parstimes.com...

join