It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Well IT Happened to Me

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2007 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by semperfortis
The closure rate for my departments internal Affairs Division is over 90%

Most Departments are at that level or higher

My department had an about 96% closure rate. Internal Affairs was very zealous in Danville.

posted on Mar, 17 2007 @ 05:30 AM
link   

Was I wrong?

No, you absolutely were not. That's one assumption I'll let stand.

The Officer is WAY less likely to "get off" as you put it

Five years probation for a murder (a la the Timothy Stansbury murder) qualifies as 'getting off' in my book.

And, I wonder, how many still qualify for PD pensions?

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
When someone has the potential to shoot me or beat me and suffer no repercussions

I think this is important.

That's what pisses me off, not simply that some cops overstep their boundaries. It's that lack of accountability that makes people "hate cops."

Originally posted by BenevolentHeretic
It's simply unfair to the "good" of any group, whether they carry weapons or not.

See above. I think you're confusing genuinely baseless prejudice with legitimate fear.

What's "simply unfair" is that certain police officers have the means (weapons, provided by the tax-payer), the motive (racism, provided by their parents and society), and the alibi (the 'scary black man' defense) already set up; all they need to do is act out their part.

People who blindly give their devotion to local law enforcement help the 'bad apples' get away with it by giving them a free pass.

But... this is a topic for another thread, semper's 'So You Hate Cops,' to be exact.

posted on Mar, 17 2007 @ 05:54 AM
link   
You threw me for a loop... HAHAHAHAHAHA

I had to check and see if I was in the wrong place, but it does really all apply..

Except the concept I am getting at here is one of "If your not part of the solution, you are part of the problem."

When one does not fight against the stereotyping of any individual as they pertain to a group, then one simply adds to the group dynamic problem...

I am as guilty of this as the next person. I have just noticed a lot of this going on now with the many different threads and thought this was something we should discuss and possibly come to combat..

Semper

posted on Mar, 17 2007 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by HarlemHottie
What's "simply unfair" is that certain police officers have the means (weapons, provided by the tax-payer), the motive (racism, provided by their parents and society), and the alibi (the 'scary black man' defense) already set up; all they need to do is act out their part.

Ahhh... We agree (again)

People who blindly give their devotion to local law enforcement help the 'bad apples' get away with it by giving them a free pass.

Agreed! And blind support because a person is in a "group" is just as bad as blind hatred, prejudice or any judgment against or FOR a person because they're in a "group".

posted on Mar, 18 2007 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Yet again there is a reference that EVERY cop is intentionally "blind" to wrong doing within the department....

This is simply not true..

Again it involves group dynamics, but not every police department has some form of corruption.. SHOCKING I know, but actually the number of ones that do are infinitesimal to the whole.

It still rings true with group dynamics. One bad incident, or two or three, does not indicate some corruption cover-up. Departments range in size from 1 officer to several thousand. With several thousand officers, one will find more abuses of power, of course. That does not mean the entire group is subject.

Once again to think this way is to punish a group unfairly.

Semper

posted on Apr, 6 2007 @ 11:53 AM
link   

When one does not fight against the stereotyping of any individual as they pertain to a group, then one simply adds to the group dynamic problem...

Semper

That's very true, stereotyping is reinforced by group dynamics. Where there are others in agreement with an inaccurate premise, it's much easier to rationalize and ignore the reality. Whether it's inside the force or out.

Mob mentality is a toxic and dangerous mix, nowhere is human psychology more dangerous than in a mob. Riot squads must be taught that. So many cases of gang violence exemplify it.

That's makes a cops job so much harder. Where there are social biases entrenched, policemen aren't exempt from them. But they are called to perform a higher duty than reinforcing stereotypes.

Cops deal people having some of the worst moments in their lives, not conducive to re-energizing faith in the edifying capacity of humanity. Yet that is exactly what they are called to do.

St Michael was here.

It's a little off topic but the mob mentality is part of what I'm looking at in my debunking Whitley Strieber thread. It's especially relevant when there is a figurehead above reproach leading a mob. In the case of police you have internal affairs and citizen watchdogs, because the potential for abuse is increased by the position of power and authority.
In some cases there is no check for balancing the authority. That's one of the great legacies of the Western tradition. The recognition of individual worth and the ability to agree to disagree.
When war of the worlds was published thousands of people went into a panic. The media is well aware of the power of the CNN age. Where there is lack of critical analysis and debate, there is potential for terrible abuse.
Especially when ideas like the abuse of children initiates contact and the glamorization of mind control programs seems to be more the topic of discussion than outrage at the premise, or disclosure of the wrongdoers.
Now in the CNN age, when the planet is potentially a mob to be manipulated in whatever way is conducive to amoral seekers of power, it is even more important to avoid stereotyping and to see the underlying dynamics behind what is being presented.

[edit on 6-4-2007 by clearwater]

posted on Apr, 6 2007 @ 03:07 PM
link   
OUTSTANDING post Clearwater....

I would love to hear more of your thoughts especially on Group Dynamics...

I believe we have a wonderful arena here at ATS, to observe Group Dynamics in action...

Take for instance the race threads, they are fascinating in that aspect. Though perhaps not as fundamental or readily apparent as "Mob Mentality", the posting here display many attributes of Group Dynamics...

One finds these very easily...

Exercise of Power

Rewards

Placation

and even

Intent and purpose

All classic attributes of the Group Dynamic...

Semper

[edit on 4/6/2007 by semperfortis]
For spelling

[edit on 4/6/2007 by semperfortis]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join