It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Zodiac ciphers - Really unbreakable?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 10:15 AM
link   
why did he leave a bunch of random letters at the end of the cipher sent to the SF chronicle!

EBEORIETEHETHHPITI

there is alot about the killer that you can learn , from the evidence , just no one has access to the evidence , although freedom of information i reckon you could get it !

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 11:30 PM
link   
the place they should start is by talking to the man who ratted out Arthur Allen as the zodiac, a killer like that could easily remember those details and pin the blame on a friend who could be framed as the killer
note. That man never was questioned in anyway other then in regards to allen, and is completely unkown to police as a subject He was known to be Allen's fishing buddy sometime before that, meaning he knows the sites of the crimes as well as Allen would, All of Arthur Allens evidence is circumstantial, and if anything some evidence could have been lied about, or planted by his so called friend,
Allen had knowledge of "The Most Dangerous Game", i read that story this year and is a well known story, anybody could pull out the "most dangerous animal" quote, even somebody of the Zodiac's inteligence could think of that had he not known of the story.
Has anybody checked the mispelled words?, my personal belief is that all the mispelled words combined, will make the codeword for the 340 cipher, which in turn will unravel the remaining ciphers that are unsolved
i myself, am not smart enough to handle cracking these codes, nor do i have the time to investigate for myself.
But if you take the misspellings i believe it will make eitehr a word, chain of words or anagram, and the remaining 18 letters from the 1st cipher could be trying to frame Allen once more. (16 letters + 2 spaces = 18)
or he could've used his name as a code word, to unlock the true zodiacs name.
in the end the killer is no longer at large, (kill wise) he's just laying low, who knows maybe someday the Bay Area will recieve a new message, most likely from his death bed.

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Gemwolf

If in his normal letters he has spelling mistakes, but in his ciphered letters he does not, could this mean that perhaps the spelling mistakes are a clue to the ciphers, ie the letters he uses in his spelling mistakes are to be substituted with the letters in the ciphers...for example, with the misspelling of kid/cid, replacing all the c's with k's or vise versa....or something like that...

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Do any of you understand the cypher the two people in Salinas cracked? What kind of cypher did he use? How did they crack it? etc...

I'd like to understand the first cypher a little more and why were there symbols left over?

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 08:30 PM
link   
oh cmon,look at the way the guy carried on hes just having a laugh in his messed up power trip,there is no cipher! ,it just to mess with peoples heads! ,making people sweat endlessly trying to decipher nothing but gibberish!.

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 04:22 AM
link   
The 340 cipher and other background information all utilise basic skill sets used in military training, probably Naval. A naval communications expert undergoes basic electronic theory(reading and devloping schematics), map orienations (33degree radians), basic cryptology and the part which I find most interesting is the use and recognition of sephamore. Naval sephamore is communicating through flags (symbols)a message.

www.anbg.gov.au...

Notice the character similarity..

Now here is the good part..The bulk of the alpha characters are used as wash which he built out to conceal his cipher. I think he feared the message too easy for his liking and built in one more layer to confuse the layman. He even mistakenly used a forward facing regular "alpha" K then marked it out and used the reverse alpha K (6th row down sixth in from the right) as the foward facing was meaningless but the reverse was significant thus the correction. .

Mispellings are intentional as communications alot of times contain acronyms-by intentionally misspelling you can ensure the meaning is obvious and not an abbreviation for something else. i.e. FAT(Foward area of Theatre) or phat meaning "fat".

My theory is to remove all foward facing alphas "the wash" makes the meassage eaiser to decipher. The sephamore symbols are part of the code as well. All alphas that are the same backwards as foward i.e. a,e,h,i,m,o,t,u,v,w,x-remain. That leaves the other 17 chacters to make up the simple substitution code. The operators i.e. +,-,/,are used for positional purposes as the tip off is the cross as the central character (the tenth row down and the ninth character in from either side) and the"-" on both outboard sides setting up the radians. There is no math involved as I believe while he liked structure, timetables and events his mind was too soft and lazy for the numbers. Kind of like your boss at work...

The man had a great grasp of his job in the military and desired to be in the field as an operative but could not advance as I believe he failed the psychlogical interview (for obvious reasons) to move up into the intelligence community. His only career left was to continue on collecting and distibuting information and maybe becoming a supervisor in that capacity or leave the service. He left the service..

He could not understand the reasoning behind his superiors decision, thus displaying his covert skills every chance he got, including his ability to kill without remorse. He views Law enforcement as his superiors and challenged their skills every chance he got-somehow proving he was "perfect "for the promotion.

I am currently working on the cipher and would like any feedback I can get..

Nicholas Hord
10/03/08

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 06:42 AM
link   
Read this thread:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

In it is presented evidence that Gareth Penn is the Zodiac.

Here is the report. I read it. It purports to solve all the ciphers.

www.opordanalytical.com...

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 07:48 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Dang, i was just going to post that Compte, guess ill throw my two cents in and say that it could very well be possible, but then that reminds me of this little bit of new news as well - www.abovetopsecret.com... - a guy claims his stepfather was the Zodiac and has his suit (worn at lake berryessa) and his knife...
One thing about the Zodiac, he's been the source of great interest by many for many years now, and could very well be for many more...

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 12:48 AM
link   
reply to post by trIckz_R_fO_kIdz

spelt? wow talk about ironic... grab a dictionary next time

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 08:09 PM
link   
The cipher that was cracked by the school teacher. How was this actually done? I've done a little research and found that it was cracked using a "simple letter substitution" but I'm still unclear exactly how this was done.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Gemwolf

If Arthur Leigh Allen purposefully left out his middle name, you'd only have 13 characters.

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Gemwolf

Maybe this thread will pick back up again after Deborah Perez's claim that her adoptive father, Guy Ward Hendrickson, is the Zodiac killer. Looks like she doesn't have much proof of that yet. We'll see what comes out.

I found it interesting that the 408 character cipher that was broken was broken except for the last 18 characters, which translated with the key come up gibberish - and that Guy Ward Hendrickson comes up to 18 characters. I wondered if he somehow signed his name to the first cipher. The letters don't add up or even translate...I looked at the number of repeated characters, and after the key is used, you have 5 "E"s, 3 "I"s, 3 "T"s, as well as 2 "H"s. No help there. Guy's name has 3 double repeats, 2 "D"s, 2 "H"s, and 2 "N"s. Then I had the idea to look back at the original symbols in the cipher, and ran into a nice coincidence. 3 double repeats. 2 (circle with dot in middle), 2 "E"s, and 2 "I"s.

I am sure it is all just an interesting coincidence. He could have used a separate method for ciphering his name at the end, and made it a word jumble of the letters, but I guess coincidence makes the most sense.

Deborah claim's to have the glasses of the cab driver killed. I guess since he was her "adoptive" father we are out of luck with a partial DNA match.

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 09:24 PM
link   
The Zodiac Killer is eccentric and a gifted jokester. The reason the cypher has never been cracked is because it means absolutely nothing. It's complete and utter garble he threw around to make people waste hours of time trying to crack that which is uncrackable.

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 02:29 PM
link   
A woman named Deborah Perez claims her father, Guy Ward Hendrickson is the Zodiac Killer:

news.aol.com...|main-t2|dl1|link5|http%3A%2F%2Fnews.aol.com%2Farticle%2Fzodiac-killer%2F454749

They do have some DNA from the case, and would need the daughter's to see if he is responsible.

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 02:53 PM
link   
There are some very old ciphers that defy being broken even by our own government.

No one has been able to decipher the script used by Roger Bacon in the Voynich Manuscript from the 15th Century (although many have written it off with theories of it being a hoax, no one has been able to decrypt a single word satisfactorily).

Same goes for Dr. John Dee's (the original 007 in her Majesty's Secret Service) Liber Loagaeth (Liber Mysteriorum, Sextus et Sanctus Sloan MS.A.3189).

Or even the simple Rotating Wheel Cipher system devised by Johannes Trithemius in his Steganographia written in 1499 whose method of encryption although it is understood how it works, simply cannot broken without knowing the key (sequence) that was used to encrypt.

Even the Kryptos (K1-K4) system that was used in WWII hasn't been broken entirely. K1-K3 have been broken by one person, but breaking K4 still eludes even that solitary genius.

It's not that difficult to create a cipher that is unbreakable. There are many to chose from that without knowledge of the methods or the secret key simply cannot be deciphered.

And that's assuming that it really meant something and wasn't just a Red Herring produced in the mind of a disturbed individual that may hold no other discernible meaning to anyone but themselves.

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Another line of deduction exists of the thinking that the pictures and the cards are actually the key to the Ciphers. Picture symbols are translated into associative metaphors which then are broken down further for individual character identity.

Of course it is all subjective reasoning without confirmation of facts at hand.

My father was involved with the Zodiac caper and so I have quite a few tidbits of info from a number of sources in his old case files. Some credible by reputation some not confirmed, but, it has some very interesting ideas put forth in regards to the messages decrypted. Much of it is not general knowledge...including a named suspect!

I'll dig through my crap and see if i can get a summary of it on here soon for ya'lls perusal.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   
:devlos irretsym

htrowsgnillohyug

ro

htrowsgnillohgla

[edit on 18-4-2010 by MsTerri]

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Perhpas people dig too deep into how complex these ciphers really are... I have heard about all kind of mathmetics being applied to cracking these codes, computers....

I don't know if I cracked his name using a simple form of just breaking out consonants and vowels, and then I just looked at commonalities and how just simple manipulation of the letters could form a different letter.

For example "A", if you put the middlie line vertical, and the other two side lines on the top and bottom it makes and "I"

"E" if you take away the top line and the middle line you have an "L"

"N" if you turn it sideways and straighten out the side, move the other line at the top of that line down to where you put the line on a "G", and you have a "G"

Crosshair symbol looks like a scope, and may stand for "S" which is also the last name in Lagies, as I suggest as being the Zodiac's last name, and thus this symbol would be attributed to the last letter in his name as his signature.

There are three symbols that are the same thing right side up as they are upside down, just like in the letter "N"

"K", if you put the bottom line parrelel to the first line in the K, and put the other line down inbetween the two parallel lines it makes an "H"

"M" if you turn it on it's side resembles and "E"

The symbol that looks sort of like a two sided hook (or even a kity smile), if you widen it out resembles an "A".

So now we have identified each symbol in the cipher, some are duplicated, so we can see all the letters that we have to work with are:

I, L, G, S, N, H, N, E, N, A, G, I, E in the same order as in the cipher.

If we organize this according to the person's name I suspect and who matches the profile, side by side photo to composite, and a lot more....

We have the name HENNING LAGIES

See the actual letter from Zodiac, and much more details at s1033.photobucket.com...

I need help with this. This may just be conincidental, but this guy is a eveil man who terribly abused and tortured my child and may responsible for killings in Canada, British Columbia for the past 40 years since Zodiac disappeared from the United States.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 05:49 AM
link   
here is the proof I found as to the identity of the Halloween card sender.s1063.photobucket.com...

top topics

<< 1   >>

join