It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So Whose Looking Forward to The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers???

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2002 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Only 27 days to go!

[attempted pic edit...]

[Edited on 22-11-2002 by Netchicken]

[checked to see how you did that...]

[Edited on 11-26-2002 by ~iluv2act~]

posted on Nov, 21 2002 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Nice fix, N-C!!

Thanks much for making me look less foolish.

[Edited on 11-22-2002 by ~iluv2act~]

posted on Nov, 21 2002 @ 02:08 PM
link   
The anticipation is killing me.

Did you buy the new limited edition DVD??

posted on Nov, 21 2002 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Boo! It will suck. When the book comes first, the book better. Jurrasic Park? Book Better. The Relic? Book Better. Hunt for Red October? Book Better.

Its called Book First Book Better. BFBB.

posted on Nov, 21 2002 @ 02:12 PM
link   
HAHAHA!

I haven't got the SE DVD yet, William, but I'm definitely going to get it before The Two Towers comes out.

How was it, anyway? Was it good, or was it overlong?

posted on Nov, 21 2002 @ 05:55 PM
link   
James the Lesser I saw the first movie and went out to read the books because of it. The only way I got through the Fellowship (which I began when I was in 3rd or 4th grade) was because of the movie. In Lord of the Ring's case the books are actually worse than the movies. There is almost NO action in the books, it's all a boring lecture. It gets a bit better towards the end but Tolkien killed it by not killing Frodo.

Here's why I think Frodo should have died, one it would have saved the book series for 2 reasons.

One the "Hero" always needs to die for great dramaticism in such an epic (norse epics the hero always dies) and it was set up perfectly too, by a stroke of fate Sam went with him and he was perfect to take up the ring and continue the journey.

Here's why Sam was perfect to do so (not shown in the movie, which is the only sucky thing about the movie) Sam views two possible futures in the Mirror of Galadriel.

Note unlike in the movie, the mirror shows things that were, things that are, and things that MIGHT come to pass, key word MIGHT, in the movie it says NOT YET implying it does show the future, no it does not, it only shows possibilities, and it doesn't tell you which road to take to end up in those possibilities.

Sam saw two images.....THIS IS A SPOILER FOR ALL THOSE WHO DON'T KNOW THE END SO READ FURTHER AT YOUR OWN RISK.....he saw 1) that burning and enslaved village that frodo saw in the movie and 2) Frodo's pale face which sam thought of as him being asleep and looking all snug and safe and peaceful.

Here's what is so good about this set up, If sam did not go with frodo as frodo wanted, then the first vision (flaming village) would have become true. This is because Sam's second vision was to come true, frodo was going to go into a DEEP sleep, paralysis actually , at the top of Cirith Ungol or whatever, poisoned by a big spider queen.

The retarded thing is Sam realizes this is what he saw, frodo's death, and it poorley tries to make you feel any pity, and Sam is very sad to have to take up the ring, in fact, HE CAN NOT!!! This is what's even more retarded.

Rather than Sam taking up where the master left off, he grabs the ring feels as if he stole it and he follows frodo's body because he wants to get it back and later on learns frodo is still alive.

This is so stupid, it was bad enough that Gandalf had a fake death, AND NOW FRODO?

I can understand gandalf but frodo is TOO MUCH!

Frodo should have given his life, sam should have FORSEEN HIS DEATH BUT NOT KNOWN IT! And in the end Sam is the one to fight Gollum in mount doom blah blah.

Another thing, Gollum really had no use, because if memory serves correctly, Frodo was not going to have ANY problem of throwing the ring in.

Now if Frodo was like (NO IT IS MYYYY PRECIOUSSSSSS) and then enters Gollum to get it back and in the struggle gollum and the ring fall in....then gollum would have had a purpose. Instead all he is good for is falling into a big flaming pit, no redeeming features, or even any involvement in fate.

Tolkien was a horrible writter, his book was simply to create a new language and he achieved that well, but he sucked at making an epic, the movie is sort of fixing that.

Which is even worse because Tolkien's ideas came from Finland where they had REAL epics, you'd think Tolkien would have learned something from them.

Sincerely,
no signature

posted on Nov, 21 2002 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Oh come on, the movies ruin te books. You see what the movies want you to see. Instead of thinking what they look like, they stick some piss poor actor in to try to make the person. But no amount of bad acting can make up for the book. The movies still suck.

But, reverse order. ID4 with Will Smith came out before book. Guess what? Book sucks. So, should make First Out Is Better. Foib.(pronounced like foil, with a b instead of l)

posted on Nov, 21 2002 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by James the Lesser
When the book comes first, the book better.

Have you even read the book?

Perhaps you should keep quiet on subjects in which you know nothing so you prevent looking the fool.

posted on Nov, 21 2002 @ 07:00 PM
link   
FM, you too speak from a vantage of limited understanding and comprehension.

~iluv2act~

The LE DVD is amazing. The added footage is worth every penny of the cost. But the most amazing thing is the two DVD's of behind the scenes. The making of these films is an epic tale in itself. Nearly 1,000 passionate people working for three years on the project they all call the pinacle of their careers.

Amazing.

posted on Nov, 21 2002 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Yes, I read it. I've read the entire series. In fact, ask me, The Hobbit was the best. Then two towers, which is coming out soon. But know what? they will screw it up. Why can't they take a book, read it, make it? No, they hear the name, hear names of chracters, then make a movie. They screw it up.

Like Jurrasic Park, name and people's names right, that about it.

Same with the other movies Stephen Speilberg takes off of Micheal Chriton(Greatest author next to Edgar Allen Poe). He has name and situation right, but after that, nothing. Heck, he even leaves people out.

Or with The Relic. Book was great!! Read when you can. The movie? barely have the situation right.

Or the Silence of the lamb series. The books are great works of literature. The movies? So so. They keep close with the books, but still stray somewhat.

posted on Nov, 21 2002 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by James the Lesser
Another thing, Gollum really had no use, because if memory serves correctly, Frodo was not going to have ANY problem of throwing the ring in.

Don't you remember the awesome scene where Frodo decides not to throw the Ring in? Remember when he says "I do not choose now to do what I came to do"?

Frodo is taken over by the Ring in the end, and Gollum is his savior, in a sense, as well as the savior of the world.

[Edited on 11-22-2002 by ~iluv2act~]

posted on Nov, 21 2002 @ 08:02 PM
link   
James obviously hasn't seen the movie.

posted on Nov, 22 2002 @ 05:56 PM
link   
I have read the books and while i think the book is probably better i have no doubt that the movie will be awesome!!!

posted on Nov, 23 2002 @ 04:28 AM
link   
Thank you ~Iluv2act~ I couldn't remember that....I only knew frodo was there, then gollum tried to take the ring, I didn't remember if he DID or DIDN'T want to throw it in.

So it's nice to know that gollum finally served his purpose, and the utter failure of the books is lifted a little bit. It still could use more sacrifice

I mean, they are fighting the worst enemy known to man at the time OTHER than Sauron's master Morgoth or whatever, and they basically waltz through it.

It is like a bad soap-opera where there is an action that is supposed to be arduous and dangerous, but it looks like they didn't even break a sweat, but they still say, "Oh lord, that is worse than the hollocaust" kinda thing.

But that's the way I read it, I know others view it much differently, but when I was setting out to read the books I was expecting that Sauron would actually be a difficult adversary, rather instead his "orcs" are little more than pushover.

Only the very last battle was one they could not win, and even then, that's when the ring is destroyed and everyone runs away like a bunch of wusses. At the least they could have had them win the battle through courage and sacrifice!

And the Extended version is good, but sadly lacks in the Mirror of Galadriel, the whole movie would be PERFECT if not for that one scene. But no, it's simply Incredible now.

Sincerely,
no signature

posted on Nov, 23 2002 @ 06:25 AM
link   
if it is anything like the first one it should be really cool

posted on Nov, 23 2002 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Well, not having read the book myself, I can honestly say I found the first movie about as boring as bat#.

posted on Nov, 23 2002 @ 12:32 PM
link   
I've read many books from Tolstoy to Twain and from Dickens to Hemingway.I just love reading and I found the Hobbit(which I've read 3 times)a little childish but for it's genre it was good.The Lord of the Rings Trilogy is on a totally different scale.Easily as well written as anything I've read.Again I've read it 3 times.

The first instalment of the movie was good and I really enjoyed it and I'm eagerly looking forward to seeing The Two Towers.I'm waiting until all three films have been released before I buy the DVD box set that will almost certainly follow.

When I watched the first one I remember thinking that if I had no foreknowledge of the story I would have found it disapointing.I think that the 3 movies must be judged as a whole.I would certainly say to any that have not read the trilogy to beg,steal,or borrow the books.The effort definately has it's rewards.

I've heard that the DVD of the first film has extra footage.Could anyone who has seen this DVD and read the books please tell me about this.Thanks.

posted on Nov, 23 2002 @ 03:33 PM
link   
The Special Edition DVD has about 30 minutes of footage which was edited out of the original film. They wrote extra music and everything!

If you want the extra footage, make sure you are buying the Special Edition DVD and not the original cinema release.

posted on Nov, 23 2002 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Iluv2act, I never said anything about Gollum, dolt.

Get it right next time you want to qoute someone, for me respecting you? It will happen, qouth the raven, nevermore.

And I saw the movie, it sucks.

posted on Nov, 26 2002 @ 10:17 AM
link   
[Someone help me!]

[Edited on 11-27-2002 by ~iluv2act~]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join