It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida jury says death for convicted child rapist

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2007 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Today a jury of twelve in the state of Florida deliberated for only one hour before handing down a 10-2 recommendation that convicted rapist and child murderer John Evander Couey be sentenced to death for the 2005 abduction, rape and murder of 9 year old Jessica Lunsford. For those of you who aren't familiar with the case, Couey, a previously convicted sex offender, abducted the little girl from her bedroom, brutally raped her, then buried her alive in garbage bags a few yards away from her home and let her suffocate while neighbors searched the woods and nearby areas frantically. They later found the young girl bound and dead, having been put into the ground alive next to her favorite teddy bear. Defense attorneys attempted to defend Couey by reason of insanity since he is technically classified as mentally ill, and they tried to rule out the death penalty due to the fact that the defendants IQ registered a 64, which is low enough to classify him as mentally retarded. Unfortunately for Mr. Couey, testimony by psychologist Harry McClaren seemed to show him capable of pre-meditation and capable of reasonable thought.

Earlier Wednesday, psychologist Harry McClaren testified that Couey is able to adapt to day-to-day life despite any mental challenges, including low IQ. Defense experts said Couey has an IQ of 64, below the standard retardation level of 70. In my opinion, he was able to function at a level higher than would be expected of a person with mental retardation," McClaren said.

The interesting part of this trial today came when the jurors were interviewed after handing down their verdict. Two of the jurors questioned Couey's dimeanor and erratic activity during the trial. He would fidget and rock back and forth and scribble on a coloring book, all in a defense coached attempt to lead jurors into believing that he was mentally retarded and unable to be eligible for the death penalty. For anyone who actually has followed this trial, you will probably agree that John Evander Couey is about the most wicked and miserable looking little monster that has ever stood trial, at leat IMO. I felt that his whole childish incompetancy act was just that, an act for the jury in hopes that they would garner sympathy for him and grant him life in prison. Unfortunately the jury didn't buy it either. Defense attorneys kept refering to him as child like and incapable of understanding of what was taking place but to me I saw cunning and calculating evil. If you watch the closing statements and when the verdict is read Couey is clearly alert and there is a definate reaction when he hears the verdict read. Personally I am not a huge proponant of the death penalty but I feel that in many cases it is justified. Today I was happy that Florida has a death penalty, I feel that low IQ or not, mentally ill or not, this man got what he deserved and the world will be a better place without him in it. Mark Lunsford and the people of Florida will finally see justice served and I agree with the prosecutions statement "If the death penalty is not intended for the likes of John Evander Couey, then who IS it intended for?" Any thoughts agreeing with my point of view are welcome as are any that would oppose. I would like to hear from a few differing perspectives.news.yahoo.com... on_re_us/girl_slain;_ylt=AlKPQyv88M.NFsB.ZTpDqHWs0NUE

posted on Mar, 14 2007 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Justice has been served, this one of those moments that I welcome the death penalty.

Just to think that after his heinous deed he bury the littler girl alive in a plastic bad is just to much to even imagine.

He is a monster.

posted on Mar, 14 2007 @ 11:30 PM
link   
If anyone desrves the death penalty, it's this guy.

His crime was so horrific, it brings tears to my eyes to even think about it.

posted on Mar, 14 2007 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Am I wrong for hoping this guy might have ended up in Prison for "Life"?

Maybe I should rephrase that.

Am I wrong for hoping this guy would end up in prison amongst the GP?
Even some of the worst of the worst criminals in the world, still have a place in their hearts for children. He would not have lasted long.

Standard death penalty is too humane for this animal (no offense to actual animals intended)

posted on Mar, 14 2007 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt
Am I wrong for hoping this guy would end up in prison amongst the GP?
Even some of the worst of the worst criminals in the world, still have a place in their hearts for children. He would not have lasted long.

Yep, you bring up a good point there spacedoubt. His expected lifespan on death row will probably be far longer than if he had been released into the general population.

Still, Florida is pretty quick at dispensing the death penalty, he probably only has a max of 2 years before it will carried out as long as no courts of appeals intervene.

[edit on 3/14/2007 by djohnsto77]

posted on Mar, 14 2007 @ 11:56 PM
link   
He will be in prison for many years during appeals etc and the commentator on Court TV today said they he will be held in protective custody due to the heinous nature of his crime against a young child and the fact that he himself is almost the size of a child he wouldn't last an hour in the main population of a federal prison. I was amazed that the father of the victim managed to keep from flying across the table and tearing that guys head off in the court room. You could really tell he loved his daughter a lot, I dont know how I would handle something like that. Some lowlife repeat offender rapes your nine year old daughter then buries her ALIVE right next to your own house and then sits by while she suffocates as you are out searching for her...I mean wow. I cant even say what he really deserves. She was such a beautiful and vivacious little kid too with a long life ahead of her. Very sad.

posted on Mar, 15 2007 @ 12:02 AM
link   
The trial seems very clean. His confession was not admitted due to technicalities, and they didn't even allow her father to take the stand for a victim impact statement as they thought their case was solid enough and didn't want to create any reason for an appeals court to overturn the sentencing.

I think it's rock solid, I don't think any court will delay his date with the executioner.

posted on Mar, 15 2007 @ 12:09 AM
link   
The defense has already stated that it intends to appeal and try to overturn the verdict based on the fact that he is by all legal reasoning mentally retarded and according to them can not be executed. Where do you draw the line? He had over 20 prior arrests and convictions, he was a convicted sex offender and child molester. He made the conscious decision to sneak into that little girls room, abduct her, rape her, bury her alive and then attempted to cover his tracks. How is that NOT conscious and pre-meditated? Low IQ does not equal incompetant. He is pure evil, very calculating, he most likley scored poorly on those tests on purpose because he felt that it would keep him from getting the chair. I hope they fry that bastard and feed him to the gators. Or better yet, tie his hands behind his back, wrap him in a garbage bag and shove him into a shallow grave. There is your justice.

posted on Mar, 15 2007 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Of course there will be appeals, they're automatic in death penalty cases. But I doubt any of them will be granted certiorari, let alone overturn the trial.

[edit on 3/15/2007 by djohnsto77]

posted on Mar, 15 2007 @ 12:12 AM
link   
oops, double post....

[edit on 3/15/2007 by djohnsto77]

posted on Mar, 15 2007 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Obviously, he can do a lot more than draw pictures, cant he?

He buried the girl- that shows he didnt want to get caught- which tells me he is NOT SO CRAZY AFTER ALL.

Sayonara.

posted on Mar, 15 2007 @ 12:33 AM
link   
dgtempe Exactly!!!

He sat there scribbling and drawing on those pages, peeking up from time to time when something of interest was being discussed. He was giving his best "rain man" act but anyone who knows about posture, expression and body language could tell that he was over selling it. Like I said before, he sure did perk right up when the words "we the jury recommend the death penalty" were read...lol...he definately knew what those words meant and for some strange reason he suddenly didnt feel like coloring anymore.

And there are still people out there crying for this werewolf and saying that it is wrong to execute him because of his low IQ..they are trying to paint him as a victim. Unbelievable.

posted on Mar, 15 2007 @ 12:42 AM
link   
He may be dumb but he aint stupid.

I worked with a criminal lawyer for 2 years and if he had the prescense of mind to hide the body, and cover his deed, he is AWARE he did something unspeakable. The fact that he was aware is the proof that he can be punished to the fullest extent of the law- including DEATH.

posted on Mar, 15 2007 @ 02:26 AM
link   
Well it seems that rape of innocent children and murder of the same is way WAY to common place nowadays! And though I 100% agree with the death sentence, they need to ensure, at the prison while he is awaiting his demise, that ALL inmates KNOW of his crime and ensure that he gets what is due to him! Perhaps he will speed up the death sentence by committing suicide! I have a little girl and I will personally take out any mother that touches her and no one will find him! He will literally disappear off the face of the earth!

posted on Mar, 15 2007 @ 02:49 AM
link   
Molestation should allways carry the death penalty. It's just too sick to be allowed.

Look at that guy, he's got the classic pedo-smile. lol. Maybe there is something to that.

posted on Mar, 15 2007 @ 05:32 AM
link   
In Australia we don't have the death penalty,and in most circumstances I do not see justification in it, BUT I personally believe that ALL child sex offenders have no right to life and that they should be put to death,not by humane means either as interfering,murdering or any act that takes the innocence from a child should but dealt with swiftly and painfully. You know, burnt at the stake, disembowled or any one of the wonderful tortures they used in the Inquisition.
I actually take this quite seriously as children who have been assaulted will have problems that will be there throughout their entire lives and will affect their
ethical and moral behaviour. Death to these insects as they are all just that,a pestilence of the most inhumane kind.

posted on Mar, 15 2007 @ 05:52 AM
link   
I am in total agreement with the penalty in this case and any other like it.

As a deterrent, the death penalty does not seem to work, it only acts as the ultimate punishment. I wish there was a better deterrent that would make criminals alike, think twice before they commit the ultimate act.

Thoughts....

What if the phrase "The punishment should fit the crime" actually held more merit.

If someone suffocates a child, there death sentence should be the same, if someone shoots someone, their sentence should be the same, someone tortures someone to death, etc..

May not be a better deterrent, but may change just one persons mind.

posted on Mar, 15 2007 @ 06:59 AM
link   
I was watching a recap of the trial and felt a weird urge to drop everything, my job, home, girlfriend and search out these monsters. Terminate them myself.

posted on Mar, 15 2007 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Horrific crime. I too have a young daughter and I'd easily throw my life away to get near and "prosecute" anyone who harmed her, its just a given I know.

What I'd rather see here is him put to death in the same fashion that his victim suffered, a true eye for an eye. Whats so sad here is seeing previously convicted persons of this nature running around society. I agree with rehabilitation but when you kill another or harm a child sorry its over for you. I've always said to others that the opportunities afforded to re-offenders would quickly be shelved if the victim were either a) a celebrity b) a high ranking politician or their siblings. Pathetic times we live in.

brill

posted on Mar, 15 2007 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
Obviously, he can do a lot more than draw pictures, cant he?

He buried the girl- that shows he didnt want to get caught- which tells me he is NOT SO CRAZY AFTER ALL.

Sayonara.

You are so right, Dg, you know what is the worst for me!!!!

That the littler girl looks just like my niece when she was that age, I could only imagine how the littler girl would look like if she was able to become a lovely young woman . . .

So sad.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join