It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The ATS Thread Short Story Contest (ATSSC)

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2007 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by asmodan
am i allowed to use copyrighted characters from items such as games, books, and movies? (note i would not be rewriting a plot with those characters, i would be merely using their names, appearances, and personalities.)

Don't forget that this contest is for stories based on a thread here at ATS and that you also need to link to it so that a connection for your story is made.

As for using copyrighted names, I don't think it would be right to pit Barney Rubble and Fred Flintstone against Minnie Mouse and Goofy.

However, If it was Blarney Rumble and Vlad Flintpoint against Manly Moose and Goofus, I doubt there would be a problem. You can alude to the copyrighted characters, but not use the exact spelling in order to keep things from looking like a 'rip-off'.

and does proper capitalization matter in any way? i am assuming that proper puntuation and spelling does.

There is a lot of leeway for spelling, capitalization, punctuation, etc., but don't forget that people need to be able to understand when a sentence ends and when it starts. If it's too confusing, it will likely be passed over by the judges.

and as well, i dont quite understand this. are we to make our story a new thread with the title "ATSSC (story name)"? i have not done a contest like this before, and i dont know where to go to find the answers. i apologize if you have previously answered these questions.

Yes. You need to put (ATSSC) into the title so that I can see it is a submission to the contest. It should look like this;

(ATSSC) A Story by asmodan

Post it into the Short Stories forum and it should be included into the contest.

Don't forget that the Terms and Conditions apply here as they do everywhere on site.

posted on Mar, 25 2007 @ 03:02 PM
link   
I can back up everything M just said. You can write characters that are LIKE real people, but you can't actually write about real people without their permission. I've developed characters in my published work that are LIKE people you could name once you'd read the descriptions, but my portrayals are not so closely related to those actual persons that I cnabe sued. Libel, plagarism, and scandal. They matter.

posted on Mar, 27 2007 @ 12:29 AM
link   
They could be too long though.
Are the stories to be Fiction or Non-Fiction?
Can we add pictures to the stories.

The Titles Are :
The Secret Weapon
The Lost Vikings From Dark Mountain
The Ghosts From Gladstone.
Maybe I could summerize them or something, I don't know?
What about Copy Right Laws? If I were to basically write something would ATS hold the rights on it?
Is it okay to have a link with a exterior Book reader for viewing a story? Or does it have to be done using ATS posting format?

What is ATSSC ?

How will they be judged?

Maybe I could just write a short one off the top of my head, it is work!!!

[edit on 27-3-2007 by PHARAOH1133]

posted on Mar, 27 2007 @ 01:52 AM
link   
I have dispatched a secret courier to Pharoah to clue him in to a few things. Hope it helps.

posted on Mar, 29 2007 @ 06:35 PM
link   
This contest will end on May 31, 2007

There will be 3 prizes;

First = 50,000 points
Second = 35,000 points
Third = 25,000 points

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Wait so let me get this straight. WE have to do a story on a thread with at least three characters in it and include the link to the thread that we made? Is that it?

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maverickhunter
Wait so let me get this straight. WE have to do a story on a thread with at least three characters in it and include the link to the thread that we made? Is that it?

It doesnt have to be based on a thread you made, it can be any thread, with a link to the thread in your story. Your story must have at least 3 characters, of which one or more is antagonistic to the others.
You then start a new thread in the member short story forum and post your story there with (atssc) in the title.

Edit for clarity. duh!!

[edit on 2/4/07 by mojo4sale]

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Thanks, m4s

That's the basics for the story.

Here's the set-up from the OP on this thread.

by moi

-All titles must include (ATSSC) to be eligible

-The short story must be linked to and based upon ANY single thread within ATS, no matter how new or old.

-There must be at least 3 main characters involved, with one or more who are antagonistic to the other(s). I'd like to see how we handle conflict situations by building solid personalities and setting them against one another.

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 04:41 AM
link   
Those of you who are looking for story material might take a look at THIS.

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Only about 5 weeks left.

Let's get those thrillers rolling in.

posted on Apr, 20 2007 @ 06:19 AM
link   
I see. I may have to knock off another entry just to keep the tumble weeds out of this forum.

posted on Apr, 20 2007 @ 11:43 AM
link   
I'm going to have to get an entry in as well. The way it stands now, judging is going to be WAY too easy.

posted on Apr, 20 2007 @ 09:25 PM
link   
I think I have one in the works, it's a work in progress, but I had one qusetion...

...the deadline is May 31 for submission? or is that the judgement day?

posted on Apr, 20 2007 @ 09:27 PM
link   
It's for submissions, Jack.

The judgements will come down shortly after (say, a week or so)

Looking forward to your entry.

posted on Apr, 22 2007 @ 09:51 AM
link   
I've been watching this forum with interest lately. Currently working on a story for this competition. It's been awhile since I've done any writing, so this going to be fun.

I should have it posted in a couple of weeks!

posted on Apr, 22 2007 @ 11:45 AM
link   
The more, the merrier!

Looking forward to your submission

posted on Apr, 22 2007 @ 12:14 PM
link   
I have a short story I want to do, but it cant be tied to just one thread, but instead all of ATS. Would that be okay?

posted on Apr, 22 2007 @ 05:31 PM
link   
I have helped a few people who are dealing with such broad conceptualizations. Sad to say, but that's why they call 'em "the rules." You can meet the guidelines by linking to a thread is about ATS itself, or some facet of board business. If that suggestion doesn't click for you, I'm sure Masqua can help.

posted on Apr, 22 2007 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Sounds fine.

Final what if. Can I make a thread then, relating to the theme I will be writing about, and link it to that?

Basically, just to give you an example, my story is about what happens when you take the hunt for conspiracy theories too far, or get too self absorbed in delusion.

posted on Apr, 22 2007 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Thanks for stepping up again, Justin... it was just too warm a spring afternoon to sit inside pecking away at the keyboard. I appreciate your help in this.

WOW... if you read the contest rules, it says a link to ANY thread on the boards. It doesn't say it can't be one of your own threads.

You've got about a month left, so take the time to write a thriller.

[edit on 22/4/07 by masqua]

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join