It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Electromagnetic Pulse?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2007 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Okay this has been playing on my mind for a while now, and there's nowhere I think it fits so I put it in here.

A month or so ago I was sitting up real late (yes... on ATS and it was about 3.30am England time) when there was a power cut... the third in four nights.

But this one was different.
Usually when there's a power cut the only thing that shorts are the actual household electronics. In my area the street lights are on a different circuit, and the house alarms are on another different circuit (so even if there's a complete blackout there's light, AND even if the street lamps go off your alarm is still active).

So anyway, the room goes dark. Not having a torch (because I'm a born and bred city boy) I grab for my phone which was on minutes before as I had sent a text message to someone. I press cancel so the backlight comes on but nothing happens. It was fully charged when I used it moments before but now wouldn't switch on.
So I think okay, that's cool. The battery's probably mashed.
Instead I open my curtains to let in the street light until everything is back on, or so I thought.
As I opened my curtains I saw it was PITCH BLACK outside for quite a good distance (my house is on top of a hill so I can see right to the horizon on a clear day). But it was completely black outside. No street lights, no house lights in the distance just nothing.

So I wait it out, thinking about how weird it is... then it gets worse.

The lights come back on, as does the PC and the phone and the street lights.... but so does every house alarm in the area, and (most bizarrely of all) every car alarm in the area.
The only time my house alarm goes off is if someone is in the house (there wasn't) or when it is reset at the main centre thing, and last I checked cars aren't connected to the power supply.

I didn't notice an expanding field of electrostatic in the air or anything, but a few minutes before the 'blackout' there was something that sounded like a sonic boom. Not like a plane roaring over head, but a single sonic boom that echoed for a while then stopped.

Anywho, that's just what happened and I wanted to put forward the possibility that maybe it was something weird. I mean I could accept all the house alarms and street lights going off then coming on. But last I checked cars aren't connected to the power supply.

posted on Mar, 14 2007 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Either you went temporarily blind, a plane crashed into your towns power station and set off all the car alarms and house alarms, or something weird happened, like a sonic boom, or maybe even a time stop???
Did anyone else experience this or was it reported in the local news paper?

posted on Mar, 14 2007 @ 08:03 PM
link   
No. It was really late and most people would have been in bed.
I don't think I went temporarily blind either

posted on Mar, 14 2007 @ 08:31 PM
link   
If there was a "sonic boom," and then house and car alarms went off, don't you think people would have been awakened?

posted on Mar, 17 2007 @ 04:09 PM
link   
I haven't heard of an EMP that has only temporary effects like that, but who knows what tech they've got out there now. The EMP effects I've heard of are supposed to burn out chips completely, which is why I keep an extra CPU and coil for my car in a shielded spot.

posted on Mar, 17 2007 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Johnmike
If there was a "sonic boom," and then house and car alarms went off, don't you think people would have been awakened?

It wasn't a loud boom, more of the echo of a boom. As for people waking up I have thought about that but I don't know if people in other houses woke up (one of my neighbours who has an alarm came outside and had a look around though). For those who didn't I only have two possible reasons for why.

Firstly my area has a large population of older people, so maybe they just didn't hear it. The way my street is, there's a row of houses on one side, then across the road and down another one there are more houses which are quite a distance from the main road.

Secondly my area has quite a large number of yobs (disruptive youths) coming and going at all hours. They often play pranks, or shake cars so the alarm goes off before leaving. So maybe they thought it was just some of them.

posted on Mar, 17 2007 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by resistor
I haven't heard of an EMP that has only temporary effects like that, but who knows what tech they've got out there now. The EMP effects I've heard of are supposed to burn out chips completely, which is why I keep an extra CPU and coil for my car in a shielded spot.

Wouldn't you also need to keep a backup motherboard and memory and video card as well? Anything that would have a microprocessor or any small silicon gate would be cooked wouldn't it? Now the coil for a car would work as long as it was a pre-80s or so car. =)

posted on Mar, 17 2007 @ 07:40 PM
link   
I'm not an authority on EMP, but I don't think you would feel it at all.
It is possible that it would have an effect on the brain, but then you might "hear" it or "see" it.
Well, maybe "feel" it too, but it would feel different than normal feelings because the source of the feeling would be just in your brain.

This is all speculation on my part, but there is some logic behind it.

posted on Mar, 17 2007 @ 08:11 PM
link   
I'm not an expert on them at all (unless you count knowing Magneto can do stuff with them!) but I would have thought they had a physiological effect. Considering nerves use electric signals to transmit messages, wouldn't an EMP somehow do something to them?

posted on Mar, 18 2007 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Not sure if this is reliable, but this is the best I can get outside of my own limited scientific knowledge.

www.madsci.org...

Consider the baseline or constant field strength that is present across the membranes of all living cells when they are sustaining a "resting potential" of -60 mV. This voltage difference drops essentially entirely across the hydrocarbon layer of the lipid bilayer, which is 3 nm thin. This means that the "resting" field strength sustained across the cell membrane is 20 MV/m. EMP pulses will have to have to be significantly of this order locally -- that is, across the cell membrane -- to affect cells. For example, to change the membrane potential by 1 mV would require a field strength of 300,000 V/m directly across the membrane -- between the inside and the outside of the cell.

posted on Mar, 18 2007 @ 12:36 AM
link   
This is a very interesting thread, thanks for sharing.
We need to know these kind of occurances.
Sounds like some of the Tesla type technology I have heard about, especially with the sonic boom noise afterward.

I read somewhere how the tech that was invented by Tesla could send a colored ball of energy over a long distance and then be "detonated" from afar.

Times are a changing, aren't they.

After reading a circulating email about the things you didn't know about your cell phone including the part that a car with a started from your keyring can be opened by someone 100 miles away linking to your cell phone from your home phone I can easily see how these things could easily be incorporated into the mix of what else happened.

Nothing seems beyond the realm of technology these days.

posted on Mar, 18 2007 @ 03:58 AM
link   
I'm going to take a wild shot in the dark (sorry for the pun!) here and suggest that what you experienced was not an Electromagnetic Pulse (EMP).

But could it have been a localized EMD, an Electromagnetic Damping field?

Now, in truth I have no idea if such a thing even exists, or if the technology to generate such a thing could have the effects you described.

It just seemed to me that the effects you detailed were, in some ways, exactly opposite of what one would expect from an EMP. Electronic devices, especially those with microcircutry, such as PC's, cell phones and home/car alarm system should have been fried into a non-functional state by a wide area EMP.

But, if a damping field were to have been the cause of the power outage, the involved circuts would not have suffered any damage; they would simply have been de-energized in the presence of the field.

And many alarm systems are designed to activate if an unexpected drop in voltage is experienced, thus signaling a possible attempt to tamper with the system and warning of a potential security breech.

Could an EMD field be related to some sort of advanced gravitic propulsion system?

posted on Mar, 18 2007 @ 03:59 AM
link   
Funny that this thread was created recently...

I was up late a couple of nights ago (16 Mar 2007 ~1:00AM) in San Antonio, TX... was talking on my cell with a friend of mine...

There was a huge 'ball-shaped' light flash in the distance that seemed to radiate after it flashed... then all lights as far as I could see went out (I live on a third floor of an apartment complex on a hill)... then shortly after, I heard a loud "Buzz ZZt" electricity sound... none of the emergency lights that are set up around the complex came on... but the power came back after about 1-2 minutes after this outage... not sure about car alarms; I was a little freaked out - didn't pay attention...

Another kind of strange thing happened also... the TV I have in my bedroom has an auto-off feature, which shuts the TV down after 2 hours of inactivity... I hadn't been in the bedroom all day, so TV had been off... well, after I called my friend back (oh yeah, the cell phone went out as well... or at least the signal was lost)... I walked into my bedroom to grab something... and that TV was on... may have just been because of power on/off... but I don't remember that ever happening before...

[Shrug] I thought the whole occurrence was a little odd... my first thought was 'electromagnetic pulse', because I didn't see a bolt of lightning and heard no thunder... it was, however, somewhat cloudy... so there was a possibility that it was just lightning... but then there was that 'nova' effect... and the strange buzz... [shrug] who knows... and then there's that electromagnetic pulse effect that's supposed to 'fry' electronics... and nothing was affected in that way... my guess... just lightning... and my skewed perception after reading so many 'conspiracy theories' as of late...

posted on Mar, 18 2007 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by HaTaX

Originally posted by resistor

Wouldn't you also need to keep a backup motherboard and memory and video card as well? Anything that would have a microprocessor or any small silicon gate would be cooked wouldn't it? Now the coil for a car would work as long as it was a pre-80s or so car. =)

I meant the CPU for my car, which is self contained. Sorry I wasn't more specific. THX though!

posted on Mar, 18 2007 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bhadhidar
I'm going to take a wild shot in the dark (sorry for the pun!) here and suggest that what you experienced was not an Electromagnetic Pulse (EMP).

But could it have been a localized EMD, an Electromagnetic Damping field?

Now, in truth I have no idea if such a thing even exists, or if the technology to generate such a thing could have the effects you described.

It just seemed to me that the effects you detailed were, in some ways, exactly opposite of what one would expect from an EMP. Electronic devices, especially those with microcircutry, such as PC's, cell phones and home/car alarm system should have been fried into a non-functional state by a wide area EMP.

But, if a damping field were to have been the cause of the power outage, the involved circuts would not have suffered any damage; they would simply have been de-energized in the presence of the field.

And many alarm systems are designed to activate if an unexpected drop in voltage is experienced, thus signaling a possible attempt to tamper with the system and warning of a potential security breech.

Could an EMD field be related to some sort of advanced gravitic propulsion system?

Now that makes sense to me. I've read that they have hand held devices now that can shut down a car from quite a distance, though I can't remember the principle it's supposed to use. Sounds like they may be testing some similar weapons on a larger scale.

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 02:26 AM
link   
Don't mind me, I was just looking for details to go after.. Personality flaw/trait/whatever.

Question about the alarms going off and how they're setup. Are the alarms on any type of battery backup system where they will go off if the main power is disconnected, or at least alert the central monitoring station that power has been lost? Reason I ask is it sounded like the alarms started going off as soon as the power came back on. Just wondering if there were battery backups and if they possibly got "discharged" and they weren't able to alarm until central power was restored...

Just a thought..

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 09:48 AM
link   
I don't know much about the alarm systems other than that they draw power from a separate line.

I don't think there's a battery though because one time their line was shut down for a day and we were warned that during this time the alarms would be inoperable. I wasn't at home when they came back on though so I couldn't say if they sounded.

The thing that's the most alarming is that the car alarms went off. They are in no way connected to a mains line and a normal power cut wouldn't have done anything to them.

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 10:46 AM
link   
JackofBlades,

In your case, it sounds like it might have been an EMP but not necessarily one from an alien craft. It could have been the result of a discreet local military exercise. EMP devices are presently in use by various governments and covert agencies.

Harlowe JNkinz & All,

What you describe does appear to be a clear cut instance of EMP technology...

Originally posted by Harlowe JNkinz
There was a huge 'ball-shaped' light flash in the distance that seemed to radiate after it flashed... then all lights as far as I could see went out (I live on a third floor of an apartment complex on a hill)... then shortly after, I heard a loud "Buzz ZZt" electricity sound... none of the emergency lights that are set up around the complex came on... but the power came back after about 1-2 minutes after this outage... not sure about car alarms; I was a little freaked out - didn't pay attention...

I've never heard of ball-shaped lightning having EMP capability.

It is common knowledge among ufologists that one of the precursors to an alien abduction is to have automobile engines, electronic communications, electronic gauges, and computer systems all become temporarily inoperable. But those systems usually go back up in a short while.

Most EMPs do not fry electronic circuitry but only cause temporary disruption.

One scenario is that Zetan-aliens were there and projected an EMP around an intended victim in your neighborhood that they planned to kidnap. Unfortunately, this sort of thing occurs on a regular basis. (Just talk to the many abductees in ATS.) Which is why we have so much difficulty filming and defending ourselves against those spiritually-retarded aliens, as all our electronics go down just before they attempt a break-in.

Hydraulic and mechanical devices are not adversely affected by EMPs but that takes a lot of money, time, and expertise to set up in advance.

Another scenario is that a local military was testing an EMP out locally on civilians.

All kinds of governmental BS goes on all around the populace that is never reported, much less explained, to the media or newspapers.

It could even have been a situation whereby you had some federal agents tracking down and trying to kill someone discreetly (or arrest them) and they used an EMP once the target was acquired.

One point that I have learned over the years (in my family's house no less), is that the aliens - like the Zetan-Greys - will not attempt a kidnapping unless they feel confident that their intended is unable to put up an adequate defense. First comes the EMP. Then comes either the intense sky blue beam which is used like a laser, or an intense white floodlight. Physical contact with either causes paralysis. If either hits or makes contact with your head, you will be knocked out and helpless - which is what they really want to happen.

Better to err on the side of caution.

Always keep your doors and windows locked and covered at night. Don't fall asleep next to an open or uncovered window, as that is a common scenario for paralysis and a subsequent alien abduction.

Hope the above is of help to you...

[edit on 21-3-2007 by Paul_Richard]

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Oooh... maybe that's why I've never been abducted... I check my doors at least twice before going to bed... and never have windows open... [hrmmm]... maybe I should leave a window open so I can hitch one of those awesome rides!!

...back to the 'flashy thing'... the flash seemed to originate in the area directly above our main airport (San Antonio International Airport)... which doesn't make much sense if something was trying not to draw too much attention... [shrug]

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Calm down folks this deosent sound like EMP or EMD whatever to me,
heres my two cents,

Ok, all domestic power in britain comes from a power station, then to the super grid, then the national grid (pilons) then it goes to the tranformers you see around villages, there are different types of transformers but the most common is a delta star system which gives a three phase (three live wires) neutral and earth wires, what im thinking is that maybe on the national grid or super grid or even the power station because of the distance you saw the blackout, there may have been a fault between the live and neutral causing a short circuit which will cut the power out and possibly blow up the transformer hence a "sonic boom" or bang, as for the alarms they will be on the same ciruit as everything else but on one of the other three live wires from the transformer, when power was put back on the circuit there may have been power surge causing them to go off and making so much noise that the car alarms went off? anywho, thats what i think, nothin unusual.

Slipper.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join