It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giant whirlpool drops ocean level in Australia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2007 @ 01:14 PM
link   

The mysterious whirlpool is 200 kilometres across and 1000 metres deep, reaching the ocean floor, CSIRO oceanographers say. The centre is 100 kilometres from the coast and could stay there for several months.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.
source

Not only is this lowering the water level on the coast but it is bringing in extremly cold water. This could have a huge impact on the ecosystem.

A little more info.

posted on Mar, 14 2007 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Just like the one in this thread, on the west of Australia?

Ocean vortex 'death trap' dscovered

Interesting, exactly the same given dimensions, now thats weird.

posted on Mar, 14 2007 @ 02:31 PM
link   
That is weird. One on the East coast and one on the West coast. Separated by about 9 months.

[edit on 14-3-2007 by testrat]

posted on Mar, 14 2007 @ 02:36 PM
link   
I understand that whirlpools are caused by ocean tides but could they also be caused if the land below the water drops?

I'm wondering if these events are related.

Huge hole in the earths atlantic crust

posted on Mar, 14 2007 @ 03:23 PM
link   
I would say the eddy has more to do with the Pacific entering a La Niña phase, as new cold pools are forming where they once where warm.

Cold-water Eddy 'Monsters' Mighty Current Off Sydney
Live Science

Dr Griffin, from the Wealth from Oceans Flagship Research program, said cold-water eddies regularly appear off Sydney.

“Until 20 years ago we would not have known they even existed without accidentally steaming through them on a research vessel,” he said.

Ocean eddies can have a life of 2-3 weeks although similar eddies identified off South Australia and Western Australia are known to have survived several months.

A La Niña in 2007?
The chance of a La Niña developing in 2007 is thought to be higher than the long-term average (which is about one in five or 20%) because (a) they have a tendency to follow an El Niño; (b) the El Niño has decayed somewhat earlier than normal thereby giving time for a La Niña to begin developing during the critical March to June period; and (c) a large pool of cold sub-surface water remains in the central to eastern tropical Pacific Ocean and is starting to affect surface temperatures in the region. La Niña events are generally associated with wetter than normal conditions across much of the eastern half of the country from about autumn. Computer models generally indicate further cooling in the Pacific Ocean.

Would be interesting to study if the change in deep ocean currents could foretell an active tropical season.

[edit on 14-3-2007 by Regenmacher]

posted on Mar, 14 2007 @ 05:34 PM
link   
It would make perfect sense if the land below the ocean were to drop...similar to pulling the plug in the bathtub and watching the water swirl down the drain....geez, THAT's a scary thought

posted on Mar, 14 2007 @ 05:41 PM
link   
What it made me think was maybe there are caverns down in the earths crust, where it could be sucked to. But I think that may be unlikely. The other thing is, what can cause the low pressure needed to suck down like that in a vortex pattern? I assume a similar system to how winds circulate exists for ocean currents?

posted on Mar, 15 2007 @ 11:08 AM
link   
ever heard of jose de jesus? search jose de jesus antichirst on google...

posted on Mar, 15 2007 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by ArealSpY4theAliens
ever heard of jose de jesus? search jose de jesus antichirst on google...

Alright, Arealspy4aliens. So far today you have joined ATS, said you are friends with aliens, been part of alien research, and said if anyone comes close to you they either get brainwashed or die. I'm sure I missing things to, since I have only read about four posts toady and two of them were yours. Now you mention to do a search about a born-again christian on a topic that has to do with eddies in Australia. Does Jose de Jesus have anything to do with tidal, currents, or anything weather related?

posted on Mar, 15 2007 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Well he's banned now, never seen someone banned so recently after they weren't:

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Has anyone considered small black holes. It would explain the drop in water level. A freak occurrence, but non-the-less possible.

top topics

join