It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Guitar players what strings do you use?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:
Cug

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 01:18 AM
link   
12's are really a non-issue in that case.

You are not going to be doing a lot of bending on this type of guitar.

The big strings just make it come alive. (actualy it sounds even better with flatwounds but I can't stand em)

posted on Mar, 29 2007 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Thats a nice guitar cug. What do you use it for Beatles tunes?

posted on Mar, 29 2007 @ 09:45 PM
link   
i have a beriger guitar and some nickle strings, dont know what brand, got em from a friend

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 05:35 AM
link   
I use dean markley blue steels on my ESM M2 deluxe because they're nice and thin. I use that guitar for mostly lead work. For my other 2 guitars (Schecter C-1, and Schecter 006) I use GHS Boomers. I've never had a problem with any of those strings.

[edit on 3/30/2007 by ShAuNmAn-X]

posted on Apr, 23 2007 @ 05:06 PM
link   
I'm responding a little late here, but just my 2 cents...

I use a variety of strings depending on the instruments. For my Hard Body electrics I use D'Addario Chromes (essentially Flatwounds) size .11, for my Archtops I use D'Addario Chromes size .13, and for my Acoustic Selmer Maccaferri guitars I use Savarez Argentine's size .11 (Argentine's have a solid Silver winding for a very bright tone).

I say all this however, coming from the Jazz perspective. So if you are into Rock or something else your opinion and preference on strings may be quite different.

[edit on 23-4-2007 by Jazzerman]

posted on Apr, 23 2007 @ 05:23 PM
link   
I use the GHS Boomers in 10 on my Howard Roberts Gibson. They're nice and bright and cheap ($5.00), which is nice 'cause I kinda go through them pretty fast.

Cug- Man, that's a swe-e-e-e-t Gretsch!!! I'm on the hunt for a deal on one of those, myself. They're few and far between around here.

posted on Apr, 23 2007 @ 05:53 PM
link   
i use D R 's, (.10's ) on my gibson les paul and SG, but on my strat, i use the same set up as stevie ray vaughan which is .13's but I have to buy all the strings seperatley and that usually costs quite a bit more than just a regular pre packaged set, but the tone i get from those fat strings is kick a$$!!! some people say it is hard to play on those big of strings, but i learned how to play guitar on .13's , it wasn't easy!

posted on Apr, 24 2007 @ 06:32 AM
link   
Compared to you all, I'm a real string slob! I usually start with a fresh set of D'addario strings, 10's, every few months. Then as they break I replace them with whatever's in my gig bag, or if there's nothing left there (usually the case) then whatever I can scavenge off a bandmate.
Strangely I've never given any thought to what brand of strings I'm buying, or to what guage is best (apart from 9's - cant use them, they break to easy!).
Like I said - String Slob.

[edit on 24-4-2007 by Paul]

posted on Apr, 24 2007 @ 02:46 PM
link   
I use Fender Super Bullet Strings, 12 gauge strings. They are really resilient when it comes to bending and use of tremolo, and I use a lot of those in my style of playing. I still haven't figured out how to restring them right, though.

TheRanchMan

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 05:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
To be truthful Voyager1; I bought the Elixers because I liked thier ad in the guitar mags, But I do like the way they feel. The wound strings are coated with some sort of plastic and they are very slick and easy on the fingers. They also sound a bit darker, and quieter and last at least twice as long as conventional strings. My Elixers have been on for at least 6 months and still sound great to my ears. I change the unwound strings when I break them or they begin to sound funky, usually about every 3rd gig.

String choice is more than likely determined by what our heros play; at least that's the way it WAS for me. I used Ernie Ball's strings for years.
Slinky's.........

A studio musician from Nashville I was playing with some time back turned me on to the Elixers, I will agree with everything you just said concerning these strings they are "the bomb" as far as acoustic strings go.
I use them on my Ovation. I use GHS Boomers (10's) on my Gibson and D'Addario (9's) on my Ibanez.

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 08:04 AM
link   
i am very particular about strings but i will try others that i have not.

i use ernie ball 10's on the regular. i have tried boomers and more recently i tried d addario's and i HATE them. i don't know what it is exactly but the tone just sounds terrible with the d's.
there are some strings out there that are supposed to be cryo frozen or something..was gonna try those.
i started out with ernie ball 9's.

to the dude playing 12's, a SRV fan eh?

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 10:37 AM
link   
SRV could routinely bend two notes up , doing that with 12's requires unbelievable hand strength WOW, a man to be admired truely.

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 02:50 PM
link   
It's of my own opinion, but I have never found that playing with .12's to be any problem. I regularly use .13's, and have in the past been known to play with .15's on my Archtops...although I have to admire the fact that SRV was able to play with .12's on his Strat. I used to experiment with .13's on a Strat, but found the tension was just too great with standard tuning or even the Flat tuning the SRV used. Credit to SRV's guitar tech for making it work though...probably had to install a new truss rod every other year...LOL!

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jazzerman
Credit to SRV's guitar tech for making it work though...probably had to install a new truss rod every other year...LOL!

Actually back in the day, 12's and 13's were pretty standard. A guitar with a properly set up truss rod shouldn't have any problems with those gauges.

To address the OP... I generally use D'addario string bacuase they're cheap and sound good to me.

12s on my acoustic
13s on my Jaguar
12s on my Tele
11s on my Squier '51

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Little Penguin
Actually back in the day, 12's and 13's were pretty standard. A guitar with a properly set up truss rod shouldn't have any problems with those gauges.

Good point. Not being familiar with Solid body Electric guitars I forget that they were originally designed for heavier guages. I guess I'm used to seeing those thin pieces of metal they supposedly call guitar strings on modern solidbody electrics in guitar stores nowdays.

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Voyager1

Originally posted by whaaa
This isn't about guitar strings but a little information to make you feel better about playing 6string.

I just bought a set of strings for my upright bass, made of sheep guts, $238.oo bucks. The search for tone gets expensive sometimes.

Man! You wouldn't want to replace those much would you. You must be playing a Jazz gig with an upright bass??

A good set of gut upright bass strings should last many years if maintained properly. They need to be oiled and sanded occasionally.

My Jazz chops are pretty limited. Mostly I'm playing, blues, rockabilly, country and vintage rock.

I know this is a guitar string thread but if there are anyother upright bass players out there.........Barefoot Larry's weed whacker strings sound real close to expensive guts and much easier on the hands than steels.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join