It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Is NASA hiding the 'True Color' of Mars?"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2007 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Has anyone heard about this before that the Mars photos we see from NASA are manipulated? Here is an interesting article I found:

xfacts.com - Is Nasa hiding the "True Color" of Mars?

[edit on 13-3-2007 by balon0]

posted on Mar, 14 2007 @ 12:18 AM
link   
I've seen before some argument how the color calibration works, and know first hand. No they are not hiding the true colour they do their best at calibrating the data so that it is an accurate depiction of the martian surface.

posted on Mar, 14 2007 @ 01:48 AM
link   
I don't see how they could possibly hide the true colour of Mars when anyone can pick up a telescope and take a look for themselves.

Even ancient man knew that Mars was red, and has even been called the God Of War because of it's red hue.

8th

posted on Mar, 14 2007 @ 01:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by anxietydisorder
I don't see how they could possibly hide the true colour of Mars when anyone can pick up a telescope and take a look for themselves.

Even ancient man knew that Mars was red, and has even been called the God Of War because of it's red hue.

Well, color has to travel through space, and through our atmosphere, then into our eye before we see it. Color is never really a definite thing, just because your looking at an object through a telescope.

Space, the atmosphere, and our eye, will all filer out or distort certain colors. I believe red is the 'strongest' on the spectrum scale but I could be wrong. Take suns for example. We have red, blue, white, orange, and yellow suns. While looking up with the naked eye, or even with the aid of a telescope, they all either appear white or bluish.

I'm not saying Mars is not red, but colors are not always what they seem.

There is a great picture of the moon floating around where the contrast is enhanced. You should see some of the blues and browns and whatnot on there. Because of our human eye, we don't see those colors so vibrantly. We see a gray, dull moon. Just another example.

posted on Mar, 14 2007 @ 02:22 AM
link   
I think what is more in question here is small, green valleys of trees and vegetation. You'd never be able to see small patches of plant-like life from Earth, no matter how good your telescope is. It would be funny if NASA was posting the true-color images as false-color images and the images NASA says are false-color that show blues and greens are actually the true-color ones

8th

posted on Mar, 14 2007 @ 02:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChocoTaco369
I think what is more in question here is small, green valleys of trees and vegetation. You'd never be able to see small patches of plant-like life from Earth, no matter how good your telescope is.

Those photo's are taken by orbiting satellites around Mars, similar to the ones here around Earth that bring us the images of Google Earth and other programs.

[edit on 14-3-2007 by 8th]

new topics

top topics

join