It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bodies of liquid seen on Saturn's moon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2007 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Bodies of liquid seen on Saturn's moon

news.yahoo.com

LOS ANGELES - Scientists for the first time have discovered what appear to be sea-size bodies of liquid on the surface of Saturn's largest moon, including one about as big as the Caspian Sea on Earth.

The discovery by the international Cassini spacecraft was welcomed by researchers, who have long theorized that Titan possessed hydrocarbon seas because of methane and other organic compounds in its thick, largely nitrogen atmosphere.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 13 2007 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Although the seas aren't exactly "water" by our standards, they do contain compounds that some bacteria have potential to survive in.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 13 2007 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Its a shame that we probably will never have live actual data in our lifetime unless of course its robotic, but I mean hands-on feet on the ground kind of exploration. That would be wonderous.

posted on Mar, 16 2007 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Yes, there is lots of potential to study other planets such as this, but with the funding NASA has, they have to use their resources wisely.

When I took astronomy, my professor gave us a statistical calculation of how likely we were to find life in outer space (through sending out signals, manned space flights, and so on). She basically gave us a calculation of a 1:10^1000 chance that we will do it in our life time. This high ratio wasn't because of improbabilities of finding life, but because with the current funding of NASA, our chances of space exploration was very low.

top topics

join