It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are You an Organ Donor?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2007 @ 04:06 PM
link   
April is "Donate Life" Month. If you're interested in donating, visit this site.

Some facts:

*More than 95,000 people are in need of an organ for transplant.
*Each day, about 77 people get the organ transplant that gives them a second chance, but 17 to 19 others die because they did not receive an organ transplant.
*More than half the people on the waiting list for a donated organ are racial or ethnic minorities. Chances of getting a transplant increase if donor and recipient share the same racial/ethnic background.

Getting Started

I am also fascinated with the more mystical side of organ donation. There are thousands of stories of organ recipients taking on new likes and dislikes after an organ transplant. It's amazing to understand that an organ can carry the "memories" of the donor to another person.

Recipient Stories

A 47-year-old Caucasian male received a heart from a 17-year-old African-American male. The recipient was surprised by his new-found love of classical music. What he discovered later was that the donor, who loved classical music and played the violin, had died in a drive-by shooting, clutching his violin case to his chest.

A 29-year-old lesbian and a fast food junkie received a heart from a 19-year-old woman vegetarian who was "man crazy." The recipient reported after her operation that meat made her sick and she was no longer attracted to women. In fact, she became engaged to marry a man.

Perhaps this is where science should be looking to "cure" homosexuality!
Just kidding, of course!

Claire Sylvia, a woman who received a heart-lung transplant. In her book entitled, A Change of Heart: A Memoir, Ms. Sylvia describes her own journey from being a healthy, active dancer to becoming ill and eventually needing a heart transplant. After the operation, she reported peculiar changes like cravings for beer and chicken nuggets, neither of which she had a taste for prior to the transplant. She later discovered that these were favorites of her donor. She even learned that her donor had chicken nuggets in his jacket pocket when he died in a motorcycle accident.

What are your thoughts on organ donation? Are you signed up to do so? Do you have any personal accounts of organ donation stories?

posted on Mar, 13 2007 @ 04:35 PM
link   
I'm registered as an organ donor. So far, I havn't had the oppertunity (knock on wood).

If someone needs my parts when I'm done with them then they are welcome to them. They may end up with an unusual taste for Sci Fi movies and books and a few other quirly habbits but nothing that should have them end up in an institution.

posted on Mar, 13 2007 @ 04:41 PM
link   
I am indeed an organ donor, I figure that....well, when I'm dead, what the heck am I gonna do with 'em?

Anyone who happens to get my guts will enjoy the Red Sox, a good microbrewed beer, and a whole lot of rare meat! What about a brain transplant? I'm not sure if they do that...but wouldn't that essentially turn someone into an entirely different person?

posted on Mar, 13 2007 @ 04:54 PM
link   
i can't be an organ donor, nor can i donate blood, for the next few years. i unfortunately went to england during a mad cow scare, so i'm potentially contaminated for the next few years.

but you better bet that i'll be one once i'm able

posted on Mar, 13 2007 @ 06:57 PM
link   
No, I am not an organ donor, and I don't intend to be.

I'm just not comfortable with my the thought of my body being taken
apart, even if it is to help someone else.

I don't really put much credit in these stories of people changing after
getting a transplant, perhaps dietary cahnges, or minor biological things
like that, but a persons personality does'nt change like that.

posted on Mar, 13 2007 @ 07:05 PM
link   
When I was younger, my mother had informed me that I was an organ donor. As a small child, it was a tough concept to fully comprehend. She was always adamant that her and I would be donors, as it could save someone's life some day. I can not be specific, but I do believe someone in my family was saved through a donation. And ever since, we were always a supporter of the program. Being honest, I am not 100% on this, but something tells me it is true. Either way, my mother, myself, and the rest of my family are all donors.

The system can be sketchy at times. It certainly seems, to some degree, to be working on the honor system. But nonetheless, I would rather take the risk and hope that it could save a life. Like it has been said in this thread, what am I going to do with them? Organs are like money, we can not take them with us. We might as well enjoy them while we have them here, and then pass them onto someone else if they can use them.

With a growing population, and diseases on the steady rise in our society, I would like to see more emphasis be put on this program. I do not judge those who do not donate their organs, but I feel you are doing your fellow man a serious disservice. But either way, it is our decision to make, and nobody has the right to tell us how to make it.

BH.....

posted on Mar, 13 2007 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Yes, I'm an organ doner, at least that's what it says on my drivers license.

To me it seems selfish and wasteful not to be an organ doner.

Funny those committed to recycling and environmental correctness, want to be buried or cremated with their organs that could save a life or at least help someone live in a little more comfort.

posted on Mar, 13 2007 @ 08:00 PM
link   
I am an organ donor, I came to the conclusion that if I die in an accident why not let somebody live with what I will have no need off.

My neighbor across the street have already so many hart attacks at age 46 that one more and he will die, he have three stents and the doctor told him that he has the hart of a 75 years old.

And only 5 years ago he was enjoying good health or at least he thought that he had good health.

He is in the list for a hart because his age makes him a good candidate, I hope he gets the change to a new beginning.

df1

posted on Mar, 13 2007 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by iori_komei
No, I am not an organ donor, and I don't intend to be.

Me neither.

Registered organ donors are giving their trust to unknown persons to make the decision as to when they are dead enough for their organs to be harvested, but the organs are still alive enough to be transplanted. This is often a very tight call and it is not a decision I would ever choose to put into the hands of unknown employees of corporations, hospitals and government organizations that I would not trust in a room alone with my wallet, let alone put them in a situation where my death would be profitable to them.

By not being a donor the only a way to profit from me is for them to bust their butt to keep me alive so they can keep submitting my medical claims to the insurance providers. This keeps everybody on the same page with no conflicts on the desired end result.

Organ donation information should not be put on anyone's driver license. A license bureau clerk has no business asking the question. I came to get my damn driver's license, not to make a decision on the future of my organs. A donor can carry a separate identification for that purpose if they want to be a donor or be tattooed with a donor number, but leave me the hell out of it.

[edit on 13-3-2007 by df1]

posted on Mar, 13 2007 @ 08:29 PM
link   
I've been in the emergency room, too many times already. I don't want to do that any more. If I'm in bad enough shape that it's a "judgement call" as to whether they can take my organs or not,,,,, take them. I've abused them enough, maybe someone else can take better care of them than I have.
Once I'm dead it doesn't matter to me any more.

posted on Mar, 14 2007 @ 07:43 AM
link   
I am a registered organ donor.

ALSO - I am registered on the bone marrow donor list.

Bone marrow donation is something that is easily overlooked. All you need to do is have a simple blood test. If you match a cancer patient that needs bone marrow, there are a few different, and rather simple, procedures that can be done to extract your donated marrow. You might be sore for a few days in the hip area ... but your little bit of discomfort will most likely have saved a life.

Everyone .. consider bone marrow registration as well. As your doctor about it. He/she should be able to give you the information on where to go for the blood test, etc.

posted on Mar, 14 2007 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
Everyone .. consider bone marrow registration as well.

Thank you for mentioning this!
My mother died of bone marrow cancer. She was able to have one bone marrow 'transplant' in her last months and while it didn't save her, it did give her some time of feeling better and gave the family time to have a good visit with her before she died. I will always be thankful for that.

Marrow Donation

[edit on 14-3-2007 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Mar, 14 2007 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Thanks flyers, I never thought about been a bone marrow donor. That is a great idea and something to think about.

posted on Mar, 14 2007 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Im currently a donor but recently Ive been reconsidering. I dont fully trust people to look at my donor status, hear about some 9 year old girl that needs a kidney or she'll die and continue the fight to save my life with the same enthusiasm.

Theres too much of this "activism" crap in politics, media, science and even sports. After the euthanasia fiasco during Katrina Ive all but lost my trust of the medical community.

I wont let some bleeding heart rip out my heart for a "cause" if Im not doornail dead.

posted on Mar, 14 2007 @ 09:22 AM
link   
It's too bad more people don't sign up for organ donation. It's become a lucrative business and is being exploited by people without ethics. Tissue theft is very profitable. Thieves are stripping diseased bodies for tissues as well as healthy ones without legal permission.

www.npr.org...

news.bbc.co.uk...

Nationwide checks showed that thousands of hearts, brains and other body parts had been retained without permission.

New criminal offences of "trafficking" in body parts, or keeping tissues without consent will be created.

Maybe selling a kidney isn't such a bad thing, but stripping diseased body's for tissue is reprehensible. That kind of thing isn't going to encourage people to donate organs. Someone donating their body parts probably would like to see them given to the person with the highest need and not the one with the most money.

I thought the euthanasia at Katrina was a accurate reflection of government policy.

posted on Mar, 14 2007 @ 09:31 AM
link   
im a organ donor here in england.

my attitude is when im dead and gone i have no ned for my organs anymore and they will just end up as worm food.
so if someone else can benifit from them then good.
i like the idea that i can still help people even when im not physically around anymore.

anyway i thin the worms get it to good as it is

posted on Mar, 14 2007 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Yes, yes I am. If and when my organs are donated, I hope that the recipient doesn't take on any of my traits!
If so, cravings for turkey burgers with blue cheese and bacon, really hot wings, beer, Long Island Iced Teas (with pineapple juice instead of sour mix), Eagles & Flyers games, and a deep distrust of my loser brother in law will become a common thing for him/her.

Seriously, organ donation is, in my opinion, a very good thing. If one of my organs can save a persons life, or give sight to the impaired - then I gladly give my all.

posted on Mar, 14 2007 @ 09:47 AM
link   
It's not listed on my license, but my wife knows in the event I roll craps and an organ of mine could help someone, that's cool. And same for her. Now if we're both in that situation simultaneously...I guess that would be an issue. We don't do the driver's license thing for reasons noted above. And I've heard stuff from some med pros that gives me pause, personally, but then I'm a paranoid conspiracy buff.

Anyway, I encourage anyone able to donate blood. I do that a couple of times a year and it's a simple and painless way to really make a difference. And anyone getting my blood is getting a deal. Other than some caffeine, it's gotta be some of the cleanest stuff out there.

posted on Mar, 14 2007 @ 12:41 PM
link   
ive always been worried about not getting the best treatment available because someone needed one of my organs. ive heard horror stories about hospitals not giving you the treatment you need just to hurry along the process.

posted on Mar, 14 2007 @ 01:18 PM
link   
You know, I had never heard these horror stories before!
But why would a hospital be interested in letting one person die if they were concerned about giving life to another? I just don't understand what the hospital's interest would be. But I understand your concern.

And from what I've read, what the family says overrules the organ donation. If your family refuses to give your organs, they can't take them. That way, you can wait till you're "completely dead", then the family can say, "OK. Take them."

I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything, though. Just getting the information out there.

Here are some sites that might clear some things up.

Common Myths of Organ Donation

Myths

Don't forget to tell your family your wishes! Because by the time they get to your will or check your license, it will be too late to donate!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join