It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The 2003 Obituary

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2003 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Ok, i think its time we looked back at who we lost in 2003.

*note* You should play some sad music, may i suggest Michael Jacksons - Gone too soon especially when you hit johnny cash.

Charles Bronson

Hollywood great Charles Bronson died of pneumonia, aged 81. The miner- turned-acting hardman, born Charles Bunckinsky in Pennsylvania, was with his wife at the Cedars-Sinai Medical Centre when he died.

Among his most famous films were the four in the Death Wish series. Other credits are among the film industry's most enduring movies - The Magnificent Seven, The Great Escape and The Dirty Dozen.

Bob Hope

Bob Hope
Comedian Bob Hope died peacefully in his sleep in July of pneumonia, aged 100. One of the best known and most beloved US entertainers celebrated his centenary birthday two months earlier, when he joked he was so old they had cancelled his blood group.

He is listed in the Guinness Book of Records as the most honoured entertainer in history. Born in England, he was the ultimate comedian. He won two honourary Oscars but always regretted never receiving the award for his acting.

Sir Denis Thatcher
The husband of former Prime Minister Lady Thatcher died in June aged 88, just months after a heart bypass operation. Politicians of all parties have paid tribute to Sir Denis as a loyal consort, good sport and gentleman.

Sir Denis played up to his gin and gold image but in reality he was an astute millionaire businessman. Lady Thatcher described him as the "golden thread" running through her life and often said that she could not have achieved what she did without his loyalty, love and support.

(Yes i know he's a brit, but i didn't have the heart to leave anyone out.)

Maurice Gibb.

Bee Gees star Maurice Gibb, 53, suffered a cardiac arrest during an operation to remove an intestinal blockage at the Mount Sinai Medical Centre in Miami.

The bass and keyboard player found fame with his two brothers and their distinctive, close-harmony singing. Their hits include the soundtrack to the film of the disco phenomenon, Saturday Night Fever, in 1977 and a sequel, Stayin' Alive, in 1983. Gibb's first wife was singer Lulu.

Katharine Hepburn
Screen legend Katharine Hepburn died in July, aged 96. She had suffered various health problems in recent years, most of them stemming from Parkinson's disease.

During her glittering career, she won a record four Best Actress Oscars. They were for Morning Glory, 1933, Guess Who's Coming to Dinner, 1967, The Lion in Winter, 1968 and On Golden Pond, 1981. Her most popular films include The Philadelphia Story, Bringing Up Baby and African Queen. Hepburn was celebrated for her talent, beauty, style and wit and the American Film Institute counts her among the greatest film icons of all time. The great love of her life was Spencer Tracy. They made nine films together and remained close companions until Tracy's death in 1967.

Robert Palmer
The 54-year-old singer was buried at his Swiss home following his death from a heart-attack in September. He died while on a break in Paris with his partner Mary Ambrose.

He became best known for his hit single Simply Irresistible, which was remembered for its video which featured Palmer backed by a group of models.

Gregory Peck
One of Hollywood's all time greats Gregory Peck died in June aged 87.

In a career spanning six decades, he appeared in more than 60 films and was nominated for five Oscars. Two of his most famous films were The Guns Of Navarone and The Omen. He picked up an Oscar in 1962 for his role as lawyer Atticus Finch, in the screen version of To Kill A Mocking Bird (left) - frequently voted one of the best films ever.

Johnny Cash
The country singing legend died in Nashville, aged 71, of complications from diabetes. A spokesman for Baptist Hospital said family members were at his bedside when he passed away in September.

Known as country music's Man in Black, Cash was credited with being the inspiration for a generation of Nashville stars with hits like I Walk the Line and Ring of Fire. Many said he died of a broken heart after losing wife June Carter Cash, four months earlier.

Barry White
The music world mourned for American soul giant Barry White, who died in July, at the age of 58.

The singer, famous for his gravel-voiced love songs, had suffered kidney failure after years of high blood pressure and deteriorating health. His sexy, husky growl and his seductive lyrics made him instantly recognisable and he became known as The Walrus.

Nina Simone
Jazz and blues singer Nina Simone died of natural causes at her home in Marseille, southern France, aged 70.

Simone, born in 1933 in the US state of North Carolina, was best known for her interpretations of My Baby Just Cares For Me and I Put A Spell On You. The singer, later to become known as the "High Priestess of Soul", was the sixth of seven children in a poor family.

Anna Lindh
Swedish Foreign Minister Anna Lindh, one of the country's most admired politicians, was stabbed while shopping in Stockholm. Ms Lindh, 46, was inside an exclusive department near the parliament building when she was attacked.

She was one of the most active campaigners for Sweden to join the euro. Ms Lindh was a member of the Social Democrats and had been head of the Foreign Ministry since 1998.

Laura Sadler
Actress Laura Sadler, who played nurse Sandy Harper in TV's Holby City, died after falling 40ft from a balcony at her boyfriend's house. The 22-year-old's life support machine was turned off, four days after she suffered serious head injuries.

BBC1 chief Lorraine Heggessey described Laura as a "sweet, modest, hard- working girl".

Adam Faith
Pop star and actor Adam Faith died of a heart attack in March, aged 62.

During the 1960s, Faith was one of Britain's top three pop stars alongside Cliff Richard and Billy Fury. He starred in films such as Budgie and Stardust with David Essex. Despite amassing a small fortune, Faith was declared bankrupt in 2002 after a series of failed business start-ups. He reportedly lost �32m.

R.I.P. All.
Please kept the replies tasteful folks.

posted on Dec, 23 2003 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Harry Goz

Voice actor for Sealab 2021s' Captain Hazel "Hank" Murphy

Played KGB agent Ivan Molokov in the ill-fated Broadway production of the Tim Rice / Benny Andersson / Bj�rn Ulvaeus musical Chess (and can be found on the Original Broadway Cast Recording).
Best remembered as The Big Apple in the commercials for Fruit-Of-The-Loom commercials in the 1970s and 1980s.

I, and many of your fans, will miss the many happy cake muffins and mailbox head remarks.

[Edited on 23-12-2003 by MrRadicalEd]

posted on Dec, 23 2003 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Great idea!
*moment of silence*

posted on Dec, 28 2003 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Well, Nerdling, we have to add another one

British actor Alan Bates died today.

posted on Dec, 28 2003 @ 12:16 PM
link   
I believe we would be remiss if we did not include this list:

www.foxnews.com...

posted on Dec, 28 2003 @ 10:47 PM
link   
for the millions that die from war, hunger etc i ask for a moment of silence for them

posted on Dec, 30 2003 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Does John Ritter ring a bell?

I'm sure there are others we are missing...

posted on Dec, 30 2003 @ 05:48 PM
link   
In my line of work....

Moondog Spot (Larry Booker - age 61)
Miss Elizabeth (Elizabeth Hulette - age 42)
Stu Hart (age 88)
Crash Holly (Michael Lockwood - age 32)
"Classy" Freddie Blassie (age 85)
Road Warrior Hawk (Michael Hegstrand - age 45)
The Wall/AWOL/Gigante (Jerry Tuite - age 36)
Mr Perfect (Curt Hennig - age 44)
Dick Hutton (age 80)
Pitbull #2 (Anthony Durante - age 36)

And those are just the bigger names.
We've done a lot of mourning this year.

-B.

posted on Dec, 30 2003 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Banshee
In my line of work....

Moondog Spot (Larry Booker - age 61)
Miss Elizabeth (Elizabeth Hulette - age 42)
Stu Hart (age 88)
Crash Holly (Michael Lockwood - age 32)
"Classy" Freddie Blassie (age 85)
Road Warrior Hawk (Michael Hegstrand - age 45)
The Wall/AWOL/Gigante (Jerry Tuite - age 36)
Mr Perfect (Curt Hennig - age 44)
Dick Hutton (age 80)
Pitbull #2 (Anthony Durante - age 36)

And those are just the bigger names.
We've done a lot of mourning this year.

-B.

I remember most of those Banshee, jeez, they all die so young.

posted on Dec, 30 2003 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Since the topic came up....

Earl Hindman, aka "Wilson" from Home Improvement (the neighbor whose face was always hidden) died yesterday of lung cancer. He was 61.
Link

Nerdling:
The hardest wrestling death for me was Crash Holly. I still don't know why I mourned him so much, maybe because he was so young. I hadn't cried so much over an industry passing since Owen Hart.
I remember we had a show 2 days after he died. In the world of wrestling, one rings the bell 10 times (aka a 10-bell Salute) to honor a wrestler who's died. We were all standing backstage as the DJ announced the 10-bell for Crash, and the reaction from the crowd got more than a few of us teary. Most didn't know he'd died, and we could hear them gasp almost collectively.
Very, very sad.

-B.

posted on Dec, 30 2003 @ 08:55 PM
link   
* Tip of the hat to Banshee for her career choice and the interest value it brings to ATS. I didn't know about some of the departed ringmeisters because I refuse to ever pay for TV. A couple surprised me. May your reputation continue to grow, your finishing moves be all powerful in the ring and at ATS, and your new year be full of non-violent enjoyable and enlightening stuff. *

I found out a couple of days ago that Slim Dusty had died, and had a beer in thought about that.

posted on Dec, 30 2003 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Jeez, its the wrestling ones that make you look at it through a kids eyes, i grew up watching some of those people, and its a major blow to know they're dead

posted on Dec, 30 2003 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Buddy Hackett, you guys forgot Buddy Hackett. The world famous Comedian.

top topics

join