It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nerves Use Sound, Not Electricity

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2007 @ 04:05 AM
link   

Nerves Use Sound, Not Electricity

www.cbc.ca

The common view that nerves transmit impulses through electricity is wrong and they really transmit sound, according to a team of Danish scientists.

According to the traditional explanation of molecular biology, an electrical pulse is sent from one end of the nerve to the other with the help of electrically charged salts that pass through ion channels and a membrane that sheathes the nerves. That membrane is made of lipids and proteins.

Heimburg and Jackson theorize that sound propagation is a
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 13 2007 @ 04:05 AM
link   
All biology and medical books will have to be rewritten if this is correct. Some people got the Nobel Price by explaing how nerves work with electrical pulses, but this is now challenged by these scientists. If electricity was present, some heat would be produced. Their experiments found that no such heat is produced. They've found that nerves work with sound instead. I wonder what these Nobel Price winners are thinking now. Imagine if it turns out that they got the price for a theory that was wrong. Interesting discovery...

www.cbc.ca
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 13 2007 @ 04:16 AM
link   
Does this make null the theory that if you shoot yourself in the head that you will never hear the gunshot?

I know this sounds humorous, in a twisted way, but the given theory has been that since electrical impulses travel much faster than sound waves and given in this theory that you instantly die by destroying your brain with a .45 calibur bullet, then you will never hear the gunshot that kills you since the sound wave travels slower than the electrical impulse registering sound in your ear to your brain.

posted on Mar, 13 2007 @ 11:40 AM
link   
I think that something doesn't sound quite right about this.

Confusing sound for electricity would seem to be somethnig that could not have persisted for well over a century.

I think this is going to wind up in a bin right next to cold fusion.

posted on Mar, 13 2007 @ 02:12 PM
link   
This will radically change alot of things, the point about heat kinda makes sense...although this part:

The researchers could not immediately be reached for comment.

Is a bit suspicious, although as far as I know they wouldn't have anything to gain from lying...

Anyway good find.

posted on Mar, 13 2007 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Hmm, interesting read but you can all but prove the electrical impulse senario in the lab with only some basic equipment and some sodium and calcium solutions. If its not electrically charged ions moving across the cell membrane that causes impulse conduction then they may want to explain why it is that if you remove sodium from the senario you get no stimulation. Id like to see a more in depth article on this though.

[edit on 13-3-2007 by kokoro]

posted on Mar, 15 2007 @ 03:01 PM
link   
sorry I made a related thread whithout knowing this was on BTS:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

anyways points I brought up were:
so why does my muscles contract if I hug a high power line?
how did they try to measure heat on a nerve?

Originally posted by a1ex
Oh yes I forgot the part that scared me:

Oddly, scientists don't understand exactly what happens when a patient is anesthetized. While the goal of an anesthetic is to prevent the brain from feeling pain, the drugs can affect a patient's heart rate and breathing. So a better understanding of how it all works would allow development of better drugs.

Ok ok I know some people will say we have tried them for years how come no one has died....but I will just mention some illneses that have no apparent explanation:

- Autism
- Alzheimers

Im not making any links between Anesthetics and autism, however shouldn't there be a label telling you "we dont understand how this works but you should not feel any pain"

[edit on 3/15/2007 by a1ex]

[edit on 3/15/2007 by a1ex]

posted on Mar, 15 2007 @ 06:30 PM
link   
The mechanism of many drugs are not understood. If you look in the Physicians' Desk Reference (PDR), you will find that this is clearly stated in the material provided for such drugs.

posted on Mar, 16 2007 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
The mechanism of many drugs are not understood. If you look in the Physicians' Desk Reference (PDR), you will find that this is clearly stated in the material provided for such drugs.

Yes that is my point, how many people have a PDR in their pockets when they go to emerg?

I could be telling the patient: drink this tastes awful, but with 6 shots you will be more tolerant to the pain and pass out, side effects include: nausea , dizzines, blurred speech, etc...........when all i'm giving him is rum (which affects your liver in the long run)

posted on Mar, 16 2007 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Hellmutt,

Great find. I really needed this info for something I have been working on. You are getting a flag on this one.

Thanks,

RT

apc

posted on Mar, 16 2007 @ 03:02 PM
link   
If nerves don't use electricity, then why is it in highschool I was able to make a dead frog hop across my desk by hooking its spinal cord up to a battery? Or why can we easily detect electrical activity in the brain? Why can we use electricity to stimulate and manipulate centers in the brain? Do nerve cells use sound and brain cells, which are almost identical, use electricity? Does the sound reach the brainstem and then get converted to electricity before entering the brain?

I think the mountain of electrical data on the nervous system is pretty solid.

posted on May, 6 2007 @ 02:52 AM
link   
I can easily agree with this. LOL> when my kids start their screaming I think my nerves is going to go right through the roof.

When the music gets turned up a notch to loud, it’s like, “my nerves!”

new topics

top topics

join