It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

JF-17 Thunder fighter jet arrives in Pakistan

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

posted on Mar, 25 2007 @ 06:09 AM

Originally posted by Retseh

It looks to be a better bet than the Indian HAL Tejas - it will be VERY interesting to see these 2 in combat against each other - interesting and likely.

In what areas?
Higher/further stage of development?(closer to production)

Well the payload bit is not much of a difference anyways..I think both a/c can carry ~4tons.
Combat Radius is ~1300km, and most importantly no air refueling capability..

The price is very competitive, but that doesn't count in the air;i.e.

The aircraft maybe at a more progressed state of development than the LCA but engine ambiguities are a very big concern..

Finally the T/W ratio of this a/c is lower than 1.

posted on Mar, 25 2007 @ 09:09 AM
Waynos et all..
a quick course in al EW 'protrusions' on this a/c!

The RWR on the tail as well as the rear tip of the fuselage?

Larger Image

Su-30MKI commemorating 75 years of the IAF in the background

The 'raised' fuselage backbone EW has a weird protrusion at the front base of the vertical tail.

Actually another off-topic aerodynamics question:
The absence of the horizontal tail fins on the Tejas compromise manueverability?
And thus gains in what department?

This from wikipedia:

The tailless, compound-delta planform helps keep the Tejas small and lightweight — in fact, it is reputed to be the smallest and lightest 4th-generation combat jet in the world.[33] The use of this planform also minimises the control surfaces needed (no tailplanes or foreplanes, just a single vertical tailfin), permits carriage of a wider range of external stores, and confers better close-combat, high-speed, and high-alpha performance characteristics than comparable cruciform-wing designs.
Extensive wind tunnel testing on scale models and complex computational fluid dynamics analyses have optimised the aerodynamic configuration of the LCA, giving it minimum supersonic drag, a low wing-loading, and high rates of roll and pitch.

how does the lack of hort tail fins confer better alpha and close combat performance?

[edit on 25-3-2007 by Daedalus3]

posted on Mar, 28 2007 @ 06:00 AM

PAF seeks more JF-17 fighters
The Pakistan Air Force (PAF) aims to acquire 200-250 JF-17 Thunder (FC-1) fighter aircraft in place of the 150 originally envisaged, the country's air force...

Better than expected capabilities led to this decision, probably going to make up for the Mirage III that will soon retire

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 05:40 AM
A very clear image of the DSI intake. The little dimples are designed to give a controlled flow of air into the intakes, this is what I am led to believe

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 12:31 PM
So no Rafales?

And I cannot see any dimples..

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 04:07 PM
You have to click on the picture because the pictures to big

top topics
<< 1  2   >>