It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

JF-17 Thunder fighter jet arrives in Pakistan

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2007 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Well, all those RAF types I mentioned that had a fin top RWR got them at a time when the RAF were firmly dedicated to low level attack, where a threat from below was all but impossible. Could this point to the planned operational role of the Thunder?

posted on Mar, 15 2007 @ 03:06 PM
link   
i totally agree with you cant trust chinese french heck you cant trust anyone

[edit on 15-3-2007 by nemesis 11]

posted on Mar, 15 2007 @ 03:07 PM
link   
the thing is a piece of crap worthless no need to discuss it any more

posted on Mar, 15 2007 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by nemesis 11
the thing is a piece of crap worthless no need to discuss it any more

sigh
honestly thanks for joining and signing up and taking the time to post but honestly not a good way to introduce yourself to the forums here. If you noticed we try to focus on figuring out the possible functions of the plane and the tech it is capable of. Thanks for adding nothin to this dissussion.

posted on Mar, 15 2007 @ 03:46 PM
link   
it reminds me of a mirage/ gripen in several respects - and will of course be a very similar role IMO

posted on Mar, 15 2007 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Harlequin
it reminds me of a mirage/ gripen in several respects - and will of course be a very similar role IMO

Except that mirage and gripen are deltas..
It will be closer to f16's.

posted on Mar, 15 2007 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by waynos
Well, all those RAF types I mentioned that had a fin top RWR got them at a time when the RAF were firmly dedicated to low level attack, where a threat from below was all but impossible. Could this point to the planned operational role of the Thunder?

Yep... That's what I was thinking. The Jaguar totally fits the role, and I gues teh same goes for the Tornado and the F-4s in RAF service.

Canada_EH,

I was generalising the nozzle(s) bit for both twin-engined and single-engine a/c and the corresponding position of the RWR.
The JF-17 is single-engined-single exhaust.

However from all the info we've been getting over the past few years, it seems that the JF-17 is going to be a F-7P replacements and would definitely have a interceptor/CAP role to play.
A closer look at the JF-17 weapons suite is in order.
Perhaps that isn't the RWR after all!

posted on Mar, 16 2007 @ 04:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by peanutbutter

Originally posted by Harlequin

Except that mirage and gripen are deltas..
It will be closer to f16's.

from the photo`s - meaning the front end not the back

but yes from other shots its rather `f16`ish

posted on Mar, 16 2007 @ 05:50 AM
link   
Russia blocks JF-17 engine transfer to Pakistan.

www.defenseindustrydaily.com...

Looks like China and Pakistan are going to have to seek another powerplant.

[edit on 16/3/2007 by RichardPrice]

posted on Mar, 16 2007 @ 06:05 AM
link   
^^
Yep.. for now..

posted on Mar, 16 2007 @ 09:29 PM
link   
china's been dumping cheap and crappy weaponries to pakistan for a long time. a smart move though,a cheap price for gaining important strategic control.

posted on Mar, 16 2007 @ 10:28 PM
link   
It looks kinda like an F-16...

What is the origin of this aircraft design? Is it a solely chinese design or is it a russian design? or is it, as it appears, an F-16 design?

posted on Mar, 16 2007 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Russia did say stop, but china managed to reverse engineered the RD93 engine,
so there's nothing Russians can do now.

but oh well, J17 is no better than F20 tigershark, give them a break. India have much better options, MIG35, F18E...

posted on Mar, 18 2007 @ 03:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by fangpaw

but oh well, J17 is no better than F20 tigershark, give them a break. India have much better options, MIG35, F18E...

But the reverse engineered RD-93(WS-13?) would require extensive testing with the JF-17 and the production lines for the same would be needed to be set up.
Anyways the Chinese would have 100+ Rd-93 engines they would much rather put to use 'where ever' rather than invest in a duplicate testing and production.

Basically this would screw up the JF-17 acquisition schedule for the PAF by a few years at least.

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 11:50 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 23 2007 @ 01:31 AM
link   
^^
What it is? Where it is? When it is?

posted on Mar, 23 2007 @ 06:31 AM
link   
JF-17 over Pakistan

www.youtube.com...

posted on Mar, 24 2007 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Ahh..
national Day..
The Air Chief flies in the lead F-16 of the flypast and then scurries back of the ground parade..

posted on Mar, 24 2007 @ 12:37 PM
link   
If I was an export customer with a modest budget, this very capable little fighter is where I would be looking to spend my money.

With a cost of just $15-$20m per copy it is incredible value. The radar is very capable with high ECCM abilities, multiple track while scan and engagement, ground search with single vehicle lock on capabilities, and sea search with a range of over 200km. A Helmet mounted sight, full compatibility with Western and Soviet weapons, HOTAS, 3 screen MFTS cockpit, an integrated EW suite and missile approach warning system - the list goes on.

Stealth was not a major design consideration and thrust vectoring will likley be added as a future upgrade - but even so, it's a great little fighter, and it deserves to do very well.

The Chinese certainly used to make "crap", but much like the Japanese car making industry during the 1970s, they are upgrading very quickly, and this aircraft is a sign of that.

It looks to be a better bet than the Indian HAL Tejas - it will be VERY interesting to see these 2 in combat against each other - interesting and likely.

posted on Mar, 24 2007 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by fangpaw

Shows how little you know about the F-20. A plane that would wipe the floor with the F-16 easier to maintain etc. And Chuck Yeager (im not american but I respect the guy) said it was one of his favourite jet fighters he ever flew. Basically a extremely capable plane that got the axe like most fighters ahead of their time.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join