It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Theory suggests source of icy moon's heat

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Interesting theory.

(CNN)-LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- Scientists believe heat from radioactive decay inside a tiny, icy Saturn moon shortly after it formed billions of years ago may explain why geysers are erupting from the surface today.

www.cnn.com...

The Cassini spacecraft last year beamed back dazzling images of Yellowstone-like geysers spewing from a warm section on Enceladus, raising the possibility that the moon, which has an overall surface temperature of about minus 330 degrees Fahrenheit (minus 201 degrees Celsius), may have an internal environment suitable for primitive life.

www.cnn.com...

However, scientists have been stumped by the origin of Enceladus' interior heat. Now a new model suggests ancient radioactive decay played a key role in shaping the moon's warm south pole region where plumes of water vapor and ice crystals periodically vent.

www.cnn.com...

According to the theory, Enceladus formed some 4.5 billion years ago by the mixing of ice and rock containing the radioactive isotopes aluminum and iron. Over a period of several million years, the rapid decay of the two radioactive elements produced a burst of heat that resulted in a rocky core enclosed by an ice sheet. Over time, the remaining decomposition in the core further warmed and melted the moon's interior.

www.cnn.com...

If confirmed, the model suggests Enceladus possesses the necessary ingredients to support life -- a stable heat source, organic materials and liquid water.

www.cnn.com...

Full story here
www.cnn.com...

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 10:25 PM
link   
So they are thinking Radioactive decay..
There goes MY theory...I was thinking it was from an ancient cometary impact.

Either way. we have ourselves another place with some water in liquid form. (maybe).

Interesting, thanks for posting.

Cassini rocks!

posted on Mar, 13 2007 @ 02:25 AM
link   
i wonder what would happen when (...or if) they find privative life on another planet. i would say that people would want to bust down area 51's gates pretty fast.

and long live Cassini,. i hope it and others like it discover great things abouts the solar system in times to come.

new topics

join