It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who created God

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 08:15 AM
link   
stop repeating the infinite cop out of the god outside of our universe and our understanding. that concept is only as old as our concept of the infinite. it is just another fabrication on top of all the other fabrications. it's the ultimate and almighty cop out

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
stop repeating the infinite cop out of the god outside of our universe and our understanding. that concept is only as old as our concept of the infinite. it is just another fabrication on top of all the other fabrications. it's the ultimate and almighty cop out

posted on Jul, 4 2007 @ 02:56 AM
link   
Thats weird, half of my above post has vanished. Oh well!!!

Cant remember what I wanted to add anyway. Probably some dig in at religion anyway.

G

posted on Jul, 4 2007 @ 03:33 AM
link   
Something some where just is/was. Either energy, god or a big ball of matter just existed forever without cause. The first thing, just is. Nothing created it or caused it but it caused and created everything else. Something from nothing exists or existed at some point. I do not think any science could prove that wrong.

Just except that and now lets figure out what that is. I think it was and is gravity. Once we solve gravity we will know or be able to know everything else.

posted on Jul, 4 2007 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xeven
Something from nothing exists or existed at some point. I do not think any science could prove that wrong.

no, you're wrong. something always existed doesn't mean something from nothing, it just means eternal something.

Just except that and now lets figure out what that is. I think it was and is gravity. Once we solve gravity we will know or be able to know everything else.

...no
it was matter and energy. that's the science. matter and energy cannot be created or destroyed, therefore they have always existed.

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 01:44 PM
link   
My belief is that the God / the Light was created by the Source, and the Source is timeless. It is what it is and have always been and will ever been, without end or beginning. The Source is the ultimate, it is the expression. It is pure and unmanifested and can never be changed. I look at it as the essence of thought, the basic principle of how everything must start; by a thought.

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by InSaneTK
My belief is that the God / the Light was created by the Source, and the Source is timeless. It is what it is and have always been and will ever been, without end or beginning. The Source is the ultimate, it is the expression. It is pure and unmanifested and can never be changed. I look at it as the essence of thought, the basic principle of how everything must start; by a thought.

I am aware that this goes beyond what the human mind can comprehend. But my definite conclusion to existence is that the ultimate is timeless. Because there must always have been something for anything to come into existance.

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 02:05 PM
link   
alright, i can see there's many pages of replies that i did not read yet: so someone might have touched on this.

but, the Bible, as well as the Verdana (i think, the ancient hindu verses, help me out if i'm wrong on the name), ancient egyptians, as well as greek mythology ALL address a power higher than the almighty. what is interesting is all except the egyptians gave this energy feminine leanings... the greeks felt this energy was represented by Wisdom, Wisdom being the Mother of God. this explains the "jealous God" assertions because, as the legend has it, when God found out that he had a creator, as well, he became jealous and enraged, having existed for such a time thinking that he was the one and only. now: i can't quote it: but the metaphor goes something along the lines of: God stopped being jealous (reactionary) and [in so many words] developed the relationship with his Mother, Wisdom; this is mirrored by the journey that mankind takes when one ceases to fear dogmatic rhetoric inspired by the church, and begins an honest exploration of his religion.

i think this is alluded to in the story of creation as well. for if one is to assume the tree of life (immortality) and tree of knowledge (ability to judge between good and evil) are two differences between mankind and the divine, then the unmentioned Wisdom would make the holy trinity complete.

the egyptians refered to this energy as "Netjer" (shortened form), and as much as i am fascinated by their religious systems, I have only recently been looking into this. so i will allow someone with more info than me to discuss them.

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by JOHN LOCKE

but, the Bible, address a power higher than the almighty.

The Bible says nothing like that. There is no one/nothing above God in any way.

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by dbrandt
The Bible says nothing like that. There is no one/nothing above God in any way.

depends, there are things on the same level as god. see baal, a being treated as a contemporary to the judeo-christian mountain god instead of a false being.

InSaneTK, matter and energy have always existed. that's what the science shows. we don't need to delve into the supernatural to find the starting point.

LOCKE, you're using the bandwagon fallacy... and you're using it improperly. for your argument to work ALL cultures would have to have a similar mythology, the piraha tribe doesn't even have one.

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 04:21 PM
link   
God created himself. He/she is probably an accumulation of insanely complex particles which over billions and billions of years formed intense intelligence.

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by blowfishdl
God created himself. He/she is probably an accumulation of insanely complex particles which over billions and billions of years formed intense intelligence.

casua sui doesn't work. it's logically fallacious. things cannot be their own cause.

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 07:13 PM
link   
@ dbrandt:

i actually had to double check my sources, and i will 1/2 concede, because this does not come from the King James or other versions circulating, but the texts found at Nag Hammid (the "lost" books of the bible) not included in the main collection say something very different. i'm not trying to start a Mary Magdalene discussion here, instead just trying to compare info with others. and to me: no examination of any religion without a thorough look at the element of control, or subjugation of the masses, is simply not an examination at all: but simply acceptance of party rhetoric.

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by JOHN LOCKE
@ dbrandt:

i actually had to double check my sources, and i will 1/2 concede, because this does not come from the King James or other versions circulating, but the texts found at Nag Hammid

So the accepted Bible does not say anything like that. Only when you add in the "lost books of the Bible" do you find such statements.

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 05:43 AM
link   

So the accepted Bible does not say anything like that. Only when you add in the "lost books of the Bible" do you find such statements.

but the accepted bible does concede that god has equals in the form of other gods... but that's primarily because some of the stories still have their roots in the henotheistic traditions of the premonotheistic hebrew religion.

baal is considered an equal on many occassions

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 11:51 AM
link   

InSaneTK, matter and energy have always existed. that's what the science shows. we don't need to delve into the supernatural to find the starting point.
I see that you have a point of 'faith' in that the universe has always existed but as we know that might not be the case. It is entirely possible that the universe came from nothing (just how this happened is impossible to know) or even as possible that the universe doesn't exist or as you have said always existed. Which model do you go for - always expanding, come to a halt, expand & collapse? Oh and just to clarify matter hasn't always existed, E=mc2 proves this.

G

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 04:16 PM
link   

but the accepted bible does concede that god has equals in the form of other gods...

No, post the verses so they can be explained.

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 04:36 PM
link   
If things can exist that our feeble minds cannot comprehend then why is it that god just is and has always been? Isn't it possible that a god was created because our minds cannot comprehend? Saying that our minds cannot comprehend somthing as such is a feeble excuse of explanation of what you don't know. The truth is that a god is your excuse to comprehend what you can't explain. The truth is we made up god,not god making up everthing else.

posted on Jul, 7 2007 @ 10:25 AM
link   

but the accepted bible does concede that god has equals in the form of other gods...

No, post the verses so they can be explained.

alright, "we"
in genesis, it says "we"
this is thousands of years before the concept of the trinity. that's because it's a holdover myth from the days of henotheism. it's the same reason that god isn't omniscient and is unable to locate a hidden adam and eve.

and actually the word "equals" isn't exactly right, contemporaries is a more accurate word. a deity's power was based on the success of the people following it in henotheism.

posted on Jul, 7 2007 @ 05:58 PM
link   

alright, "we"
in genesis, it says "we"
this is thousands of years before the concept of the trinity.

it's the same reason that god isn't omniscient and is unable to locate a hidden adam and eve.

and actually the word "equals" isn't exactly right, contemporaries is a more accurate word. a deity's power was based on the success of the people following it in henotheism.

Let "us" make man in "our" image.

Even though you are blowing it off that that can't be the answer, the "us" is Father, Son, Holy Spirit.

Not thousands of years before God's knowledge of the trinity.

When God asked Adam "Where are you?" He wasn't talking about physically, He was asking Adam where he was spiritually. Now, God knew where they were, both physically and spiritually. He was giving them the opportunity to admit the truth about what they(Adam and Eve) had done.

If someone does something wrong/bad, you can still think you were right for doing it. But if someone does something wrong/bad and they realize it was a mistake to have done it then you have a concept of right and wrong. He wanted them to own up to what they had done.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join