It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Real Talk about Minority Privileges !!!

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 09:34 AM
link   
This should show exactly what the people in the Ghetto spend thier money on. Ever when they are in distress and don't even have a place to stay. All they want to do is go out and spend the "FREE MONEY" that was given to them and use it up on Necklaces or Bracelets or ... Even worse in this report.

This is just like a person living in the Ghetto ... Not saying white /black/green/yellow/ just saying this shows LOW CLASS AND TRASH

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 10:09 AM
link   
DB,

It's one thing to point out how some fools spend their money, it's something completely different to say that it's essentially a blanket rule for everyone in the ghetto. It's also pretty insulting to say that anyone who lives in the ghetto is low class and trash. Just because you preface it with a rainbow of ethnicities doesn't make it acceptable.

As for your article

1. Of the 10,500 card reportedly issued, what percentage was spent irresponsibly? It's not mentioned in the article, and I'll assume that's because they have no idea, and are just making a huge issue about the few instances that they've seen

2. This is coming from World Net Daily.

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Since Worlddailynet ...

MSN

OR how about this ...

NEW ORLEANS (AP) -- In the neighborhood President Bush visited right after Hurricane Katrina, the U.S. government gave $84.5 million to more than 10,000 households. But Census figures show fewer than 8,000 homes existed there at the time.

Mod Edit: Please Review this Link.

Quote Reference

[edit on 21-3-2007 by chissler]

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 10:55 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Unfortunately none of the links you provided has anything to do with what I asked, or the points I made.

If I'm mistaken, please explain.

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Raso, you grew up poor, so did I my friend and I think that we have experienced something that others that perhaps were not as poor do not even know exists...

Let me try and elaborate...

My Granny (The finest woman that ever lived, God rest her soul) raised me after my parents abandoned me on a street corner. She found me after awhile in a foster home, took me to the farm and began to teach me and raise me...

She got a check from social security. That is what I was raised on. Granpa was self employed before he died and Granny never worked, so the check was for the few years Granpa worked in the mines... I think it was about 150.00 dollars or less....

Once I went out and got a job, I had MONEY!!!!!

I bought the most frivolous and ridiculous things imaginable...

Know why?

I bet Raso does....

Because I had never had anything frivolous.... All of a sudden I could buy stuff!!! It took the Marines and YEARS of self discipline to stop that in myself....

It is hard to go through life poor and see everyone else with things that you can not afford... Then when you can, even though you know you should not buy them, that there are more important things to buy, you almost CAN NOT STOP yourself.... At times one can't stop at all...

I worked in the projects and saw this phenomenon hundreds of times.... Working there and living there I of course made friends and I watched those same people spend their checks on a new set of clothes and then watch their pride dissolve as they had to ask me for money to feed their family...

Don't judge this too harshly my friends, I know how they felt and I was always proud to be able to help when I could... Of course on a Cops salary, that was not much, but some...

What is the old saying about walking a mile in their shoes....

I know this is mildly off topic, but the references was made and I wanted to put my 2 cents in as usual...LOL

Semper

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 11:40 PM
link   
This has been a very interesting thread and I've learned much. I would however, like to make a point that the Victim Culture isn't necessarily black but includes people of every skin tone. Many people feel that they are entitled to all they desire without having to work for it. Semper I believe that you made the point that children today are often not taught to accept responsiblity for their actions or inaction and this is very true. Working in the prison I've seen changes in attitudes when I first started many moons ago if I caught an inmate breaking the rules it was all about you caught me; now it's "Why you do me like that?" an attitude coped by individuals of all colors.

Two of our posters pointed out that they grew up poor as did I and it is hard when you finally have money to spend it wisely because it is so exciting to be able to buy stuff you don't actually need. As a single parent I wanted to buy my daughter all the stuff her peers had but couldn't sometimes it made me cry; but instead of going broke buying her stuff I told her I would match her dollar for dollar when she wanted a big tickey item. As a result she worked as I had at her age in the strawberry fields, babysitting and pulling weeds to earn her half of the PS2; she still has it and it works as well as it did when she earned it. Believe me gentlemen I know what you are saying. Kudos to both of you for rising above tough starts I hope I do as well as you.

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Semper, as I was growing up I had to go stay with my Mom in our Station Wagon at the oil fields while my dad Rough Necked all night then I would go home and sleep with my dad during the day while my mom worked during the day. I understand what you mean, and I still SPLURGE to much. Hence the reason I live paycheck to paycheck. Although since I have gotten engaged I have woken up and realized that SAVINGS is a MUST if you are goign to have a family. Anyways ....

You opened up my eyes, although it almost sounds like you are making excuses for these people. Most of whom have no problem with making an excuse for themsleves. Not saying that this is even a bad thing; they were just taught at a young age that they could talk themselves outta situations instead of thier momma or daddy giving them what they deserved. Which would have solved the problem instead of UNINTENTIONALLY creating one.

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 10:49 AM
link   
I'd like to bring up a previous point that wasn't quite addressed.

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
One of the interesting points in this article is portion identified as 18th Century Biology

18th CENTURY BIOLOGY
European: eyes blue; gentle, acute, inventive. Covered with close vestments. Governed by laws

Asiatic: eyes dark; severe, haughty, covetous. Covered with loose garments. Governed by opinions

Black: phlegmatic, relaxed. African. Crafty, indolent, negligent. Anoints himself with grease. Governed by caprice

The System of Nature, Linnaeus, 1735

The article goes on to speak of this influence in today's society.

Ken Barnes says the effect of these generations-old stereotypes can be seen most starkly in the disproportionately poor educational results of black boys when compared with other groups.

"There is an expectation of failure for black children in schools," he says. "And it comes down to how they are historically perceived by the school system.

"Society's continuing image of black men affects the way teachers address the children. But this is a vicious circle. If you continually tell a child that it is naughty then it will act that way."

What is your take on this perspective? Do you think that it's a valid point? Are children from certain backgrounds being set up to fail out of the box?

And this perception of blacks in the 1700s

Black: phlegmatic, relaxed. African. Crafty, indolent, negligent. Anoints himself with grease. Governed by caprice

Do you see this in today's society? If so, do you believe it's a genetic trait, societal, or just a matter of an outsider's perception?

[edit on 22-3-2007 by Rasobasi420]

posted on Mar, 29 2007 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I don't see that as a phenomenon, but then I suppose I would not.. I also don't see crafty and relaxed as being negative..

Still the point is taken Raso, and though true we have far to go, there has been massive amounts of progress made. (You would never know it from the other threads)

See...

I am a "Person of Color"
For I am not translucent, I am colorful...

My Great Grandmother was Sioux Indian..

Farther back in my heritage is African Blood..

The real African, not the quasi-hyphenated rhetoric spouted by many..

I have been to Africa, does make me more or less African American than those with darker skin?

Yet on those other threads, my ability to "see" both sides, clearly places me in an antagonistic posture with "People of Color"

Even though I am a person of color for I am not translucent...

I refuse to ever be a victim in my own mind. This also separates me from the other posters in those other threads.

I have no desire to blame anyone for what I have not accomplished...

I will also not give credit to others for what I have myself accomplished...

For I am a successful person of color...

Dominant Culture, Linguistic Gymnastics, Whitey..
All words adopted by the Victim Culture and intentionally used to seperate instead of bring together people on these issues...

We are all Persons of Color and until the Victim Culture can actually see the other side.. We can never move on...

Semper

posted on Mar, 29 2007 @ 11:47 AM
link   
My sister has taken on the task of raising her grandchildren.. Now this is neither unique or unusual in today's society...

However....

She lives in a very rural area in Tennessee, she works as a convenience store clerk... I help her as much as she will let me, but she has pride...

Her grandchildren will never benefit from affirmative action...
They will get no scholarships from the United Negro College Fund...
The NAACP will not come to her aid...

They live in a small, house they heat with wood that her neighbors cut as often as they can for her...

If they had some Minority Privilege, perhaps they could live better, warmer, safer....

If they had Minority Privilege, maybe one day the grandchildren could go to college...

But they don't...

According to some on this site, they are members of a Dominant Culture...

What is Dominant about their existence? What?

Their big hold back is refusing to become members of the Victim Culture...

No welfare, no foodstamps, NO VICTIM MENTALLITY..

No Victim Culture...

Semper

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Interesting perspective from a black author..

Does White Privilege Exist in America?
2020 Headlines

Steele says black irresponsibility is the bigger problem — that high illegitimacy and high school drop-out rates are limiting black progress.

"Racism is about 18th on a list of problems that black America faces," he says. "There's black irresponsibility today, there's a lot of that. It's a bigger problem than racism."

Steele says today there's "minority privilege."

"If I'm a black high school student today … there are white American institutions, universities, hovering over me to offer me opportunities: Almost every institution has a diversity committee," he says. "Every country club now has a diversity committee. I've been asked to join so many clubs, I can't tell you. There is a hunger in this society to do right racially, to not be racist. … And I feel rather privileged by it. I don't have to even look for opportunities in many cases. They come right to me."

Steele says what whites owe blacks is fairness.

"You owe us a fair society," he says. "There's not much you can do beyond that. … There isn't anything you can do to … [to] lift my life up. I have to do that."

It's something to think about next time you see all the hand-wringing about white privilege. White privilege does exist, but maybe it's not the whole story.
ABC News

Semper

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 10:01 PM
link   
More from an interview with the same author...

“I grew up in segregation,” Steele said during my interview with him. “So I really know what racism is. I went to segregated school. I bow to no one in my knowledge of racism, which is one of the reasons why I say white privilege is not a problem.”

Steele claims, “The real problem is black irresponsibility,” which has produced high illegitimacy and high-school dropout rates that limit black progress. “Racism is about 18th on a list of problems that black America faces,” he says.

Steele says too many blacks and whites are stuck in the old conversation, as though it were 1950. And he thinks there are questionable motives for this on both sides: “If we can get a big discussion going about what white privilege is, we never have to look at what blacks themselves are doing. And black responsibility. How are we contributing to our own problems? How are we holding ourselves back? Why don’t our children do better in school than they do?”

Whites’ preoccupation with guilt and compensation such as affirmative action is actually a subtle form of racism, Steele says. “One of the things that is clear about white privilege, and so many of the arguments for diversity that pretend to be compensatory, is that they advantage whites. They make the argument that whites can solve (black people’s) problems. “¦ The problem with that is “¦ you reinforce white supremacy all over again. And black dependency.”

Steele says that when blacks make racism their central focus, they mire themselves in destructive victimization — and sabotage their own chances for advancement.

“White privilege is a disingenuous idea,” he says. In fact, now there is “minority privilege.”
John Stossel Interview

Semper

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 11:02 AM
link   
I don't know if this is a "privledge"but the media seems to "hide" certain crimes.Take this for example.If this horrible crime was commited by white criminals it would be national news.Instead it was buried by the media.The details of this atrocity are unbelievable,the woman was forced to drink drain cleaner,the man was raped and had his privates removed. If the victims had been black the outcry would have been great.It is the media that controls race issues in the US.

[edit on 31-3-2007 by rdang]

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Another black privilege is the privilege of ignoring black on black crime.

Selective Outrage over Black Crime Victims

Blacks are victims of crimes in far larger numbers than whites. So who is commiting these crimes? According to this article, the crime against blacks are mostly committed by blacks.

Why did certain blacks in Durham, North Carolina, rally around a black stripper claiming to have been gang raped by three white men but virtually ignore the more destructive trend of black-on-black crime in their midst? (Duke blogger KC Johnson elaborates on blacks’ deafening silence about the latest developments in the so-called rape case.)

Last year, four young black men were murdered by a black man in a drug-related incident, and I don’t remember the national or local NAACP or black citizens of Durham protesting against the perpetrator. I don’t recall the so-called New Black Panthers showing up at the courthouse and shouting him down, either.
Isn’t death a more serious violation than rape? Isn’t taking a human life the ultimate violation?

We hear about how many blacks are in prisons, supposedly as a result of discriminatory practices in the legal system, but is that really the reason?

[edit on 31-3-2007 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 03:50 PM
link   
BH,

Excellent examples of the Victim Culture...

Of course black on black crime is not going to garner the same instant exposure... It does not propagate the Victim Culture agenda of making every white person feel guilty because every back person is not successful...

Any doubts? Just go read the other threads...

I know that you have BH, and I am amazed and awed at the integrity you have shown in the face of insults and out-right rude behavior directed towards you. All because you post your opinion... SHOCKING

I no longer have the stomach to contribute to their racism by allowing them another target...

Semper

posted on Apr, 1 2007 @ 05:18 PM
link   
This thread, and all similar threads will be closed as of now. Until further notice we will not allow any of these kinds of threads to be started again, and we will not allow anyone to complain about it. This is a group decision, because these few threads are taking up much more moderating time than necessary.

Once again.
-This thread and all similar threads in social issues will be closed with no exceptions.
-We will not allow any new threads to be opened that are similar to the (to be) closed ones.
-Any of those new threads will be trashed immediately.
-No complaints about this group mod action.

Thank you,

Bandit

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join