It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Real Talk about Minority Privileges !!!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 05:12 PM
link   
First of all skin is only skin deep or this has been what I have heard all my life.

WHAT IS THE DIFFERNCE FOR REAL !?!

Minorities

Yet again ... American Business is affected

Homes for Minorities ???

Majority Vs. Minority; which would you rather be ?? !!!!

JUST TO BE FAIR !!!

[mod edit: title - CAPS]

[edit on 13-3-2007 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Great Research there..

You just forgot to use the words...

Dominant

and

Culture

Seriously though, nice to see someone doing the leg work with real stats for a change...

Semper

posted on Mar, 13 2007 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Good , Great, Wonderful ... Create a thread that says ... Real Talk about White privledge and everyone races to debate it ... Yet, I say real Talk about Minorities Privledges and NONE NOT ONE OF YOU have a leg to stand on and say that they don't have more privledges than the MAJORITY ... Whoever that may be in a certain region ..

posted on Mar, 13 2007 @ 09:38 AM
link   
I have to agree thats this is some good research deus

posted on Mar, 13 2007 @ 09:50 AM
link   
You forgot to mention about when I get my friends into Roscoes ahead of a party of white people.

That is my fav minority privelege of all, not having to wait in line for chicken and waffles...yum.

[edit on 13-3-2007 by phoenixhasrisin]

posted on Mar, 13 2007 @ 10:01 AM
link   
HAHAHAHAHA ... That is not Privledge if I would sell(I may need to CLARIFY, SELL DRUGS) to the people working there. Or knew someone there I would be ahead of everyone myself. Or I would actually just call ahead and let him/her know that I was coming. This has nothing to do with privledge ... But that was a GOOD Sterotype. Maybe you should go be a MOVIE DIRECTOR. You got the Stereotyping down PAT. TRY AGAIN ... this is going to get fun I feel .... I may need BH 's help ...

Originally posted by phoenixhasrisin
You forgot to mention about when I get my friends into Roscoes ahead of a party of white people.

That is my fav minority privelege of all, not having to wait in line for chicken and waffles...yum.

[edit on 13-3-2007 by phoenixhasrisin]

[edit on 13-3-2007 by Deus_Brandon]

posted on Mar, 13 2007 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Deus_Brandon
HAHAHAHAHA ... That is not Privledge

How about the ability to walk through the ghetto without getting my ass kicked, is that a privelege?

posted on Mar, 13 2007 @ 10:24 AM
link   

First of all skin is only skin deep or this has been what I have heard all my life.

WHAT IS THE DIFFERNCE FOR REAL !?!

Please explain what this has to do with racial privilege. If it's just explaining that skin color is different for different reasons, then cool, but it doesn't have anything to do with the differences in treatment of racial minorities.

Minorities

And is this to show that women and minorities do receive benefits from schools in exchange for their participation in certain courses and research fields correct?

Well, considering that the overwhelming majority of people entering research fields are white, and most had the white privilege that was spoken of in the other thread, it only makes sense that benefits would be applied to women and minorities who enter this field, if for no other reason than to encourage minorities who would otherwise not even think about entering the field.

As Minorities tend to live in low income areas, it only makes sense to entice individuals who wouldn't otherwise consider college as a goal with money for doing so. I see this as an effort to better society as a whole rather than as exclusion of whites from an already white dominated culture.

Yet again ... American Business is affected

Ok, I work for arguably one of the most successful equity firms in the country, but I'm jsut the IT guy, so some of this stuff is past me. From what I read here, this just says that minority owned businesses show equal returns on investments to white owned businesses in general. It doesn't show the percentage of minority owned businesses compared to white owned, or even if the percentage is equal to the overall population. All this means is that minority owned businessmen are as shrewd as white businessmen, given the opportunity. Isn't what the privilege is about? giving people the opportunity to be shrewd?

If I missed something in the article please point it out. I don't want to look foolish.

Homes for Minorities ???

How is this a minority benefit?

5. Continued Housing Discrimination

* Americans are too often denied access to a suitable living environment based on race, color, national origin, religion, gender, familial status, or disability.
* A variant on discrimination can be exclusionary zoning spawned by the "Not In My Back Yard" syndrome; this can lead communities to fear that affordable housing may result in lower land values; suburban areas sometimes erect impediments, such as requiring large lots, to discourage all but a few households who can afford them; if development controls and regulations fail to address equitably the needs of citizens, they result in an especially pernicious form of discrimination.
* Barriers to homeownership faced by African-Americans, Hispanics, Asian-Americans, and other minorities will differ depending on where they may live.

Majority Vs. Minority; which would you rather be ?? !!!!

I have to admit, I didn't read this whole thing as I am at work. I am interested though. Just give me a little while.

JUST TO BE FAIR !!!

[mod edit: title - CAPS]

[edit on 13-3-2007 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Mar, 13 2007 @ 10:43 AM
link   
I am glad that someone has true Interest in the SUBJECT and I THINK YOU FOR THAT !!!!!!!

As Minorities tend to live in low income areas, it only makes sense to entice individuals who wouldn't otherwise consider college as a goal with money for doing so. I see this as an effort to better society as a whole rather than as exclusion of whites from an already white dominated culture.

This culture is not dominated by whites. Go to any city in America and go to the MEDIA spot where and see how much you pay for Advertising on the R and B stations or most of the time it is the MIX stations that tend to play more RAP music along with some other newr music that is coming out. But most of the Artists are of African Decent ... Most of the people listen to this white and black the same ... Now hispanic and Music is a whole different story ... But that is a whole new thread in itself I just wanted to get the point across that it is not a WHITE DOMINATED SOCIETY any more ... Oh how I wish everything was white dominated and just handed to me .... Woulda made my life 1,000 Times easier than it was ... Growing up from when I was 1- 4 I was spending the night with my mom on in the Station Wagon that we had and was our only car at the OIL FIELDS where my dad worked the night shift because it was to dangerous for me and my mom to stay at the house we were living at .... Especially at night time .... Have always wondered why it was ok for me and my dad to stay at the house during the day time. Hmmmmmmmmmm .... Anyways ....

Please do read the Majority Vs. Minority posts as it is very interested and not BIAS which is the best part of ANY ARGUMENT ....

posted on Mar, 13 2007 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Barriers to Minority Homeownership .... .... If two married people black or white or Yellow or Green goes and applies for a loan and you have been holding down a Job Continously for 3 years or more and have 5k WHICH if you have been holding down a job for 3 years ... about 35 dollars a MONTH. that is basically a days work for me .... little less .... as I make 8.15/hr and work 6-8 hours a day. I would have that 5k in 3 years and could have a house. YET .. What do we do with our MONIES !?!?!?

posted on Mar, 13 2007 @ 12:05 PM
link   

This culture is not dominated by whites. Go to any city in America and go to the MEDIA ......

Viacom CEO Sumner Redstone (MTV, VH1, BET, and many others)

Clear Channel Communications CEO (owner of most FM radio stations in the US)

The artists are minorities, but the money, the business, and the ensuing privilege is all white.

And the fact that you had it tough does not negate the fact that someone who has had it just as tough, but happens to be black, may have less opportunities.

posted on Mar, 13 2007 @ 12:07 PM
link   
And in regards to the issue of saving money, what does that have to do with minorities not having the same chance at buying a home from someone who prefers to sell to a white family? Or the home owners unjustified fear that someone coming from the ghetto may decrease property value in the surrounding neighborhood?

posted on Mar, 13 2007 @ 03:20 PM
link   
That is very possible ... Why buy in the ghetto ? Who makes the ghetto the Ghetto ???

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
And in regards to the issue of saving money, what does that have to do with minorities not having the same chance at buying a home from someone who prefers to sell to a white family? Or the home owners unjustified fear that someone coming from the ghetto may decrease property value in the surrounding neighborhood?

You know in my hometown when I grew up playing Basketball . .I played with alot of blacks and they would boast about a car that they do not know better not drive through thier neighborhood otherwise they would get robbbed or shot or what not ... They would even boast that the police woudl not even patrol through the neighborhood after a particular time ... Pretty much after Dark ...

posted on Mar, 13 2007 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Lets set this all in an outline order..

1. The Victim Culture claims that the so called dominant culture is keeping them down.

2. Some one from the Victim Culture rises above this hypothetical weight, becomes successful and then the Victim Culture calls them a sell out, Uncle Tom and Oreo.

3. With the exception of sports and "gansta" music, at which the Victim Culture" idolizes the individual, until they speak out on social issues.

4. Then the Victim Culture again shuns the individual as a sell out.

Now THAT is a sociological nightmare...

Semper

posted on Mar, 13 2007 @ 04:51 PM
link   
I live in a city thats 92% black and the only culture the have is theryre all victums but then they seem to have no respect for anything or anybody even themselves. here they cleared out the thriving downtown and moved everything about 2 miles away and now all them businesses ar relocating about 5 miles farther south into a all white area. The riots 4 years ago because a guy got killed trying to outrun the cops pretty much finished off the town.

Look up Benton Harbor Michigan if your bored a small town with major problems with it's people.

mikell

posted on Mar, 14 2007 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Deus, we know the ghetto is harsh, that is why people try to get out. That's why people try to buy houses outside of the ghetto, but therein lies the problem. When people selling homes see people from the ghetto trying to buy one, they often turn them down for no reason other than where they came from.

Mikell, please clarify what you are saying. To me, it sounds like you're saying that black people have no respect for anyone, and cannot be trusted to run a city.

From what I found of the city, the median income was $17,000 dollars per year, and 42% of the population is living below the poverty line (which for a family of 5 is $23,000 per year). And, coincidentally it happens to be 92% black. So, the state of your city may be attributed to a number of reasons, and not just because most people are black.

www.globalblacknews.com...
Benton Harbor, when it was white-ruled, had been the most prosperous city in Berrien County. It was a major tourist center, business capital, and industrial center. All during the 1930, 1940’s and 1950’s, Blacks from Arkansas, Tennessee, and other Southern states flocked to the city to work in its industrial and manufacturing plants. The Blacks had no political power, but at least they had jobs and opportunity. There was a burgeoning Black community that traded among itself, created their own culture, and made the best of it.

It was apparently the 1966 Black revolt which caused many whites, both business and political leaders, along with white citizens generally, to bolt the city of Benton Harbor and make the trek to St. Joseph and other predominately white cities in the county. Thousands of whites left the city, apparently no longer feeling safe and in control of Benton Harbor. This did not happen immediately, but over the years, they have managed to bankrupt Benton Harbor and build up the economy of St. Joseph. How did they do this? By seizing control of the county government, then diverting incoming federal and state community and economic developments funds to St. Joseph, after which, this induced high levels of unemployment in Benton Harbor. In addition, St. Joseph banks systematically engaged in bank redlining and denial of business credit and loans to Blacks in Benton Harbor, creating a shortage of multiple and single family dwellings, housing improvements, or creating new buildings.

And Semper,

That is a sociological nightmare, but I don't think the reality is as bad as all that though. The truth is, I don't think people care if they are called a sellout by a select few, as long as they are making money. I think you're talking about the 50cent v. Oprah case, am I right?

I don't think many people took 50 very seriously in the end.

I do however see a sociological nightmare when the owners of these companies that own the likes of 50 cent are white, and are pushing a violent idol onto black culture, a-la BET, MTV, and the countless Clear Channel radio stations. There are other artists that could be played that have a better message, and yet are shunned by the likes of Viacom and Clear Channel.

That's a true nightmare.

posted on Mar, 14 2007 @ 05:31 PM
link   
It is common sense ... that if you dress like you are from the Ghetto. That is where you belong. You wouldn't put Insectiside next to your bread would you ???? Otherwise, especially with Real Estate Agents ... that is a HUGE selling point. "THIS IS A SAFE NEIGHBORHOOD" ... Other than saying ... Besides that yard as you can tell because of the trash and the upkeep of the yard ... Whether the person be white trash or Yellow Trash or Black Trash ... it is TRASHY .... And ruins the neighborhoods "CLASS" something that most all Black people know about .... and most hispanics ... And half white people in my experience ....

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
Deus, we know the ghetto is harsh, that is why people try to get out. That's why people try to buy houses outside of the ghetto, but therein lies the problem. When people selling homes see people from the ghetto trying to buy one, they often turn them down for no reason other than where they came from.
That's a true nightmare.

posted on Mar, 14 2007 @ 05:46 PM
link   

It is common sense ... that if you dress like you are from the Ghetto. That is where you belong. You wouldn't put Insectiside next to your bread would you ???? Otherwise, especially with Real Estate Agents ... that is a HUGE selling point. "THIS IS A SAFE NEIGHBORHOOD" ... Other than saying ... Besides that yard as you can tell because of the trash and the upkeep of the yard ... Whether the person be white trash or Yellow Trash or Black Trash ... it is TRASHY .... And ruins the neighborhoods "CLASS" something that most all Black people know about .... and most hispanics ... And half white people in my experience ....

Okay DB, you lost me. I officially have no clue what you're talking about. Could you please explain that to me one more time?

Thanks

posted on Mar, 15 2007 @ 10:43 AM
link   
... that if you live/look/act trashy then that is where you belong in the TRASH can .... or (GHETTO) .... The people that are born into that I am sorry ... it is a difficult thing to come out of ... Yet, my (WHITE) parents did just that. And they don't blame anyone for thier problems they went out and got JOBS. you know J - O - B 's I am not talking about illegal occupations.

posted on Mar, 15 2007 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Right, but the problem is that it is often the immediate assumption that a black person comes from the ghetto, and one has to do a lot to get past that assumption. White people on the other hand start off with a blank slate as it were. Save for having no teeth, and overalls with no shirt, a white person doesn't have to do much to prove that they're not "trash". It's just assumed that they aren't, until something else shows it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join