It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Australian Continent

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2003 @ 03:58 PM
link   
(I'm not sure where to put this but I don't think it should go into below top secret because I have never heard it discussed before.)

Many times I have been told that the country of Australia is the only country that is also its own continent. But what about the countries of Figi, Kiribati, Marshall Islands, Micronesia, Nauru, New Zealand, Palau, Papau New Guinea, Solomon Islands, Tonga, Tuvalu, Vanuatu, and Western Samoa? I always thought that they were considered part of Australia too.
I have a computer program about countries of the world and it has a list of all the continents and the countries that are part of them, and for Australia it has listed all the 14 countries seen above. This has confirmed my thoughts that the claim that Australia is the only country that is also its own continent is not true. Am I the only person that has thought of this? Hasn't ANYBODY else noted this fact?

posted on Dec, 23 2003 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Excellent thought Blitersety
your both right and wrong...
a continent is geographically one big landmass so australia as a country is also geographically a continent... politically however a continent can be part of a landmass plus many smaller landmasses (i.e new zealand, fiji etc) in the same way hawaii is part of the north american continent politically but geographically is not part of the continental landmass... oh and for reference the political continent of autralia is either australasia or oceana i've heard both being used... hope that helps and i hope i didnt leave anything out...

new topics

join