It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why we should see UFO's on radar.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 06:18 AM
link   
I'm not an aircraft expert or military expert, but wouldn't it make perfect sense that since our technology probably doesn't exist for aliens, that more than likely we would be able to see them on radar? I mean if they don't know anything about our technology how could they defeat it?

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 07:00 AM
link   
Hey braddman. Great question I feel. In my researched opinion, radar generally does not pick up objects under 2000 feet, High Speed or Zig-Zagging.

Radar, less military Doppler, is calibrated for a straight line conventional craft at 600 MPH or less. Speeds above, below and/or zig-zagging are not recognized by airport radar. Military radar yes. That's my understanding present day. Helicopters -- no.

Dallas

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 07:42 AM
link   
UFOs have been picked up on radar many times.
As I understand it disc shaped or spherical objects are harder to detect on radar because the signal bounces back better against flat objects, I'm not completely certain of this, so correct me if I'm wrong.

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 03:04 PM
link   
civilian radar only pics up signals from transponders that are on all civilian aircraft, they dont in effect see the plane they see the signal from the transponder. so civilian radar, the only ones we would hear about wont pick up a ufo unless they have one of our transponders on them. military radar detects objects, and who knows how many ufos they may have detected? They wont be telling us soon weather its 1 or 10,000

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 03:26 PM
link   
*Cough* Seeing how radars work within the EMR range, and UFOs as we know them most probably have cloaking technology, bending EMR (including visual light) around the craft itself, it's not a very far leap to think that those cloaks also are immune to radar.

Harriers have a radar signature the size of a bumbe-bee you know.

posted on Mar, 13 2007 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Drexon
*Cough* Seeing how radars work within the EMR range, and UFOs as we know them most probably have cloaking technology, bending EMR (including visual light) around the craft itself, it's not a very far leap to think that those cloaks also are immune to radar.

Saying UFO's have "cloaking technology" is pure speculation. We can't begin to know what they have or don't have.

posted on Mar, 13 2007 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Actually, I can, as I'm (or so I'd like to believe) one of the few people who has seen two UFOs with active cloaking (though not perfect). It's consistent with a lot of sightings in general, but yeah.. I understand why you said that, I would.

posted on Mar, 13 2007 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dallas
Hey braddman. Great question I feel. In my researched opinion, radar generally does not pick up objects under 2000 feet, High Speed or Zig-Zagging.

Radar, less military Doppler, is calibrated for a straight line conventional craft at 600 MPH or less. Speeds above, below and/or zig-zagging are not recognized by airport radar. Military radar yes. That's my understanding present day. Helicopters -- no.

Dallas

You clearly have no idea mate. Infact all airport radars are in fact military radars.

posted on Mar, 13 2007 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by braddman

Originally posted by Drexon

Saying UFO's have "cloaking technology" is pure speculation. We can't begin to know what they have or don't have.

Well we have stealth technology. So it's quite safe to say they are thousands of years ahead of us in being able to conceal objects from type of visual medium. eg/. radar,sight,heat,UV etc.

posted on Mar, 13 2007 @ 03:21 PM
link   

I'm not an aircraft expert or military expert, but wouldn't it make perfect sense that since our technology probably doesn't exist for aliens, that more than likely we would be able to see them on radar? I mean if they don't know anything about our technology how could they defeat it?

Assuming some of our notions of visitation for over 50 years are correct, how WOULDN'T they know about radar, if observing us in any capacity, especially since many sightings seem to suggest interest in military sites???

We can defeat radar, so safe to assume those mastering interstellar travel are at least hip to it by now, even if they weren't say back in 1947.....when it was likely unexpected....

posted on Mar, 13 2007 @ 09:24 PM
link   

i would agree with gazrok....they most likely have been watching us for years, and considering how advanced they would have to be to travel thousands of light years (or through time, depending upon what you believe them to be), they would most likely know all about our current technology and how to cloak themselves from it....but that's just MHO.

Originally posted by Dallas

that's not entirely accurate. it depends on what the radar is designed for, what kind of obstructions are in the way, and how strong the signal is. most approach control radar systems are set up to see all the way to the ground. en-route radar displays are generally mosaic, meaning that they are a combination of several different radars slaved together to form one picture, and these have trouble being accurate below a certain altitude range (in my area we normally lose targets below about 2500 feet). but again, approach control radar will normally see to the ground. now, if there are mountains or other obscurations, there will of course be dead zones.

Dallas

not quite....it's calibrated to remove slow moving clutter such as flocks of birds, but straight line has nothing to do with it. it will track primary targets moving all over the place.

Originally posted by redseal
civilian radar only pics up signals from transponders that are on all civilian aircraft, they dont in effect see the plane they see the signal from the transponder. so civilian radar, the only ones we would hear about wont pick up a ufo unless they have one of our transponders on them.

completely wrong. first, not all civilian aircraft even have transponders. those that dont, cant fly in certain areas of the country without prior approval (and even with the approval, they usually must fly in formation with another aircraft that does have a transponder), but there are plenty of places where they can fly. neither my ultralight nor my dad's plane have electrical systems, and therefore they have no transponders. second, the radar will pick up aircraft without transponders. they are what is known as "primary targets." they are simply a blip on the screen with no altitude or speed associated with it, so its very hard to radar identify them without actually talking to the aircraft in question for verification of his position and altitude. what you may be thinking about is the federal law that says all aircraft operating above flight level 180 (18000 ft) must have a transponder and a clearance from ATC. furthermore, if an aircraft at any altitude is equipped with a transponder, they must have it on so that we can see their altitude for separation purposes, even if they choose not to talk to ATC.

a very weak argument considering that unless you can prove their existence beyond the shadow of a doubt, this whole subject is speculation.

i personally believe that some of what we can't explain are alien craft. there are way too many planets out there that must sustain some kind of life for us to be the only ones in the universe, and way too many what i consider to be credible witnesses to some events. however, i also believe that the majority of sighting probably stem from secret government black projects that are seen accidentally....ufos offer a perfect cover as far as the government is concerned.

[edit on 3/13/07 by snafu7700]

posted on Mar, 14 2007 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Where are the radar recordings of ufos? Are videos with this information viewable over the internet?

I've heard these recordings put forth as physical evidence for ufo activity, and in several cases to back up specific incidents. Even though I might not understand what I'm seeing if I were to view a radar screen, is it possible to see this activity? Obviously we'd be looking at a video recording, not the actual radar recording.

I think many people use these recordings as evidence without actually looking at them - I'd like to check them out.

Any ideas?

posted on Mar, 14 2007 @ 12:23 PM
link   
I would say the most important thing to consider in this question, is that the counterargument used here appears to be anthropomorphic.

This question assumes aliens 'have technology'. It assumes they 'know about other people's technology'. It further assumes they would seek to defeat it or not defeat it.

Furthermore, it assumes rules of physics, as we know it, apply to all UFO bodies. Radar contact might be coincidental with respect to whatever these things are. Whether plasma balls or spaceships or whatnot.

Finally, if we assume that these events are largely non-inertial, then we may need to think about the possibility that these phenomena operate within physical constraints we largely don't consider, such as higher order force laws, multi-dimensional time, etc.

[edit on 14-3-2007 by Ectoterrestrial]

posted on Mar, 14 2007 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Well, I think that if UFOs are so advanced, they should know what radar or they might even have their own similar but more advanced version of radar. If they know what radar is, they should know how to get around it. They would most likely either develop a strong stealth system and/or develop a camoflauge system that is somewhat like an optical camoflauge system where the aircraft appears invisible but is still there. Seems out of this world but so are aliens. I think that they would develop a stealth system. Optical Camo seems unlikely, but I cant be too skeptical.

posted on Mar, 14 2007 @ 05:51 PM
link   
I think that if they have thwe technology to cross the cosmos to this planet surely they would have pass from long time ago how to not be detected by radars..for them would be a obsolote technology...

Sometimes they have been caught on radar...the only thing that in my mind can come is that they let in purpose been detected..like saying we are here..and then boshh..they put the cloak and no more signal....that's the only thingi can come up to explain it.

posted on Mar, 14 2007 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Assuming that UFOs do obey laws of physics which we don't yet fully understand (e.g. Bob Lazar and magic E115), it is conceivable that there are major physical constraints on the design of gravitationally modifying craft.

These constrains may or may not be compatible with 'stealth', and there would certainly be tradeoffs.

At the minimum, if the outer surface of the gravity-craft has to be electrically conducting (as many are reported to be shiny and metallic looking which means conductive), then it will interact electromagnetically and probably result in a significant radar cross section.

Stealth planes which use lots of composites do so because they are not electrically conductive and of course this induces major design and engineering tradeoffs as well.

Of course the gravity-modification will also create bending and alteration of microwaves (and visible light) as well (RADAR) which the radar tracking software was not remotely designed to comprehend, since we have no physical way of creating such gravitational effects.

Hence it is quite possible that hypothetical gravity-modifying ET craft would be detectable on human radar but result in strange and apparently spurious signals, which might be filtered out by conventional radar analysis software, which assumes that true reflectors/emitters don't 'jump' with time.

posted on Mar, 14 2007 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Most UFO that are picked up on radar are the man made events.. The question is not Are UFO ET.. But rather are some of them ET?

posted on Mar, 15 2007 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlexDJ
I think that if they have thwe technology to cross the cosmos to this planet surely they would have pass from long time ago how to not be detected by radars..for them would be a obsolote technology...

Sometimes they have been caught on radar...the only thing that in my mind can come is that they let in purpose been detected..like saying we are here..and then boshh..they put the cloak and no more signal....that's the only thingi can come up to explain it.

[/quote
I totaly agree, if the 'aliens' have the tech to get from however many billions of lightyears away to here, then they would be way into stealth tech already.

top topics

join