It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pet drugs are subject of safety fears

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 03:07 AM
link   
............Jean Townsend, of Johns Island, S.C., says her vet breathed "not one word" of side effects when he prescribed the painkiller Rimadyl for her arthritic, limping Labrador retriever.

Encouraged by an advertisement showing dogs romping playfully, Townsend says she was glad to soothe her pet's aches. Within a month, though, he collapsed and began to vomit blood. A week later, he had to be put to sleep, his kidneys and liver ravaged beyond repair, his medical records show.

"The medicine blew him apart," says Townsend. Her vet and FDA reviewers all blamed the drug, which was originally targeted for humans.............

news.yahoo.com...

[edit on 12-3-2007 by Shar]

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 03:11 AM
link   
This is serious. I never expected this to happen to animals. I know my vets never told me about such side effects. The vets often have given my dogs this Rimadyl for pain. I asked them even if there were side effects they told me no.

[edit on 12-3-2007 by Shar]

posted on Mar, 14 2007 @ 04:28 PM
link   
That's so sad.
Perhaps it was an allergic reaction or maybe the dog already had a history of kidney and liver problems.
But the vet is definitely at fault and deserves to face the court or lose her job (or both)!

new topics

join