It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

From Anonymous Posts: Blackbird sighting???????????

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Original Anonymous Post By: anon_102327
Hi Everyone,
This last Friday morning 3/9/07 I was on an O-dark thirty flight out of Burbank California heading for Phoenix Az, we were about 30 minutes out when I was looking out the window watching the sky go from black to light blue when all of a sudden I was able to make out in the distance a DC-10 aircraft with another aircraft close behind it also heading east but a little higher than we were.

So I am thinking cool another air to air tanker since I had been fortunate enough to see one while mid flight on a trip a couple years ago.

Anyway, I happened to have a set of binoculars in my back pack on the floor and I grabbed them real quick to see what I could see and I couldn’t believe my eyes---it was the unmistakable silhouette of an SR-71 Blackbird!

I am thinking to myself no way! They aren’t flying those anymore! But just as I was thinking that the aircraft banked away from the tanker and I was able to see the full cross section of the aircraft (top or bottom I couldn’t tell) but I am 100% positive this was a Blackbird.

I was easily able to make out the modified delta wing, long wing mounted engines and the long forward fuselage.

I have been an aircraft mechanic for nearly 20 years and I have seen this plane up close at air shows both in the air and on the ground and I am 100% sure of what I saw and I am 100% positive it was NOT a U-2.

I have been looking around the internet since then trying to see if I could find out whom may be still flying the Blackbird but I was unable to come up with anybody and I found this website during my searches (nice site by the way) so I thought I would post this to see if anybody here would know?

Is it possible the air force has a couple of these babies in cold storage somewhere and dusted them off for who knows what?

Training for a new aircraft, recon for Iran/Iraq?

Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks,
John W
Cleveland, Ohio

I dont follow the aircraft section of this board, but IMO it would be silly to believe the SR-71 was retired.
If nothing else I bet the CIA still uses them regularly.
Thanks for comments and compliments of ATS.
If you havent done it yet, dig deep into 9/11 threads here.

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Actually you'd be surprised. they did retire them once in in 1990 donating a number of airframes out but keeped some moth balled and ready to go and brought them out again in 1995 and then flew them in 96-97 and re-retired them again in 98.

the following is a quote from wikipedia (not saying 100% true but is well researched)

"The U.S. Air Force retired its fleet of SR-71s on January 26, 1990, allegedly because of a decreasing defense budget and high costs of operation. The reconnaissance aspect of the SR-71 could be performed more cheaply, and often better by reconnaissance satellites and drones. The SR-71's performance was still unequalled, but eventually there were few things that it could do that could not be done by other devices, and it was very expensive to operate. Also, parts were no longer being manufactured for the aircraft, so other airframes had to be cannibalized in order to keep the fleet airworthy. The USAF returned the SR-71 to the active Air Force inventory in 1995 and began flying operational missions in January 1997. The planes were permanently retired in 1998."

link: en.wikipedia.org...

Also I'm pretty sure all of the airframes are accounted for. The only options then would be one that no one ever knew about, one that has been stored been brought out again or a sister like ship to the 71. If it was a 71 there is the added problem that parts are no longer made for it and its fuel is also extremely rare and the tankers that had to fuel them don't really carry the JP?? it uses anymore.

Another interesting link if you care to find the current resting places of blackbirds is
gmaps.tommangan.us...

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Oh forgot to say I wish I could believe that it really was 71 but the proof is stack againest it. A possible sister ship is an interesting idea. The best though would be if there actually was a new and activelly used spy plane in use somewhere but this anonymous post needs question answered linke could a air to refuel take place at high alt. what alt was the poster flying at and would his binoculars been able to pick out the needed details. And number 1 can we get more info from this poster.

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 11:18 PM
link   
could be a NASA bird doing high speed tests.
But hopefully their flying in the BLACK budget

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 11:21 PM
link   
I was under the impression NASA had retired their birds too? Guess im going to have to go find out and do some searching.

Initial findings.

"The two SR-71s at Dryden were assigned the following NASA tail numbers: NASA 844 (A model), military serial 64-17980, manufactured in July 1967, and NASA 831 (B model), military serial 61-7956, manufactured in September 1965. From 1991 through 1994, Dryden also had another "A" model, NASA 832, military serial 61-7971, manufactured in October 1966. This aircraft was returned to the USAF inventory and was the first aircraft reactivated for USAF reconnaissance purposes in 1995."

link: www.nasa.gov...

[edit on 22/08/06 by Canada_EH]

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 11:29 PM
link   
left nasa 2003 by road

Dryden Flight Research Center's SR-71B Blackbird aircraft, NASA tail number 831, is destined for the Kalamazoo Air Zoo museum in Kalamazoo, Mich., and the F-18 High Angle-of-Attack Research Vehicle (HARV) aircraft, NASA tail number 840, is going to the Virginia Air and Space Center in Hampton, Va.

NASA's SR-71B was one of only two SR-71 trainer aircraft built, and served NASA in that role, as well as for some high-speed research, from 1991 to 1999.

link

[edit on 11-3-2007 by Jezza]

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Really a Shame. with the 18 gone and the 71 it makes me wonder what is in the current works with nasa test aircraft. I'll go take a look but I think we have raised enough points with this story with out replies. I'm going to follow the thread though and jump in if anything changes.

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 06:42 AM
link   
I'm going to streatch your thinking here a bit:

What if, there is a New, slighty different version of the Blackbird flying secretly. Maybe it's Not an SR-71, but still an evolution of the same design. this could also explain some of the Mystery Sonic Booms attirbuted to the phantom "Aroura Project"

Look at the above model. Could this be what you saw?

Tim

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 09:06 AM
link   
The problem here ghost is that the poster here was a guy that found an anonymous posting and put it here for us to see. We would need to contact this guy some how but I have a feeling it would require a bit of work.

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Canada_EH
The problem here ghost is that the poster here was a guy that found an anonymous posting and put it here for us to see. We would need to contact this guy some how but I have a feeling it would require a bit of work.

Thats the exact reason why I dont even bother reading the anonymous posts board.

IMO opinion anyone with a valid and genuine story would create an account and post it here in the normal fashion. In addition to this its practically impossible for anyone posting there to be asked extra questions or back-up their story.

Beyond an interesting aside the anonymous posts dont provide any real discussion points or "deny ignorance" in any way.

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Only problem with that way of thinking in my openion is the possiblity that the person is unaware of what ATS really is. I agree with you gfad but there is the chance that the person isn't as well versed in what they saw and what to do with that info.

So is there a 100% way in dealing with these posts no and their never will be. for myself it is easy or more so to take something you hvae said since I've been in conversation with you for 2 years now then someone who just came on to the board but then again with what you said thats what you need them to do in order to believe or them.

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ghost01
I'm going to streatch your thinking here a bit:

What if, there is a New, slighty different version of the Blackbird flying secretly. Maybe it's Not an SR-71, but still an evolution of the same design. this could also explain some of the Mystery Sonic Booms attirbuted to the phantom "Aroura Project"

Look at the above model. Could this be what you saw?

Tim

Get real!

That is a nice picture of the Testor's F-19 PLASTIC model though.

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Only problem with that way of thinking in my openion is the possiblity that the person is unaware of what ATS really is. I agree with you gfad but there is the chance that the person isn't as well versed in what they saw and what to do with that info.

I'll concede that point, it may give inexperiences posters an opportunity to share their opinions etc. but the lack of possible feedback and follow-up makes it pointless.

Anyway further to the original topic, here is a list of the location of every surviving blackbird airframe:
www.sr-71.org...

Also here is a list of all Blackbird losses:
www.sr-71.org...

I suppose it is possible that one of these losses was faked or one of the airframes on show is a fake or a sister ship was built in secret, but if the CIA or anyone was still flying a Blackbird surely it would have been wiser for them to create a cover story that involved a blackbird still flying. For example they could say one was in use for weather research (the favourite excuse for high alt recon) or high speed testing. Without such a cover story the service operating one covertly is instantly exposed to being busted with one photo or one video etc. etc.

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by gfad

Thats the exact reason why I dont even bother reading the anonymous posts board.

IMO opinion anyone with a valid and genuine story would create an account and post it here in the normal fashion. In addition to this its practically impossible for anyone posting there to be asked extra questions or back-up their story.

Beyond an interesting aside the anonymous posts dont provide any real discussion points or "deny ignorance" in any way.

Wow, you seem pretty closed minded to be an ATS member.
I love how you say "anyone with a valid and genuine story would create an account"
So if they dont have an account like you then their views are not valid?

The wacked out postings I see about 'pregnent sun' and 'ghost does dishes' are valid and genuine because they are made by people that have accounts?

If you dont even read the anon postings you are by default ignoring a diverse source of information, and maybe you dont know this but to ignore something is the basis of ignorance.
Anyway, thats for another thread.

As I said in the OP, I dont follow the aircraft section, but in my logic it would make no sense to retire the SR-71.
Sure satelites can do the surveilence, but the problem with satelites is that they arent always over the area you want to view.

Too costly to maintain? Since when has cost ever been an issue for the government?
Donated frames? Out with the old in with the new is more like it.

They tell you they quit flying them and they show you a few old airframes and thats proof?

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by 11Bravo

As I said in the OP, I dont follow the aircraft section, but in my logic it would make no sense to retire the SR-71.
Sure satelites can do the surveilence, but the problem with satelites is that they arent always over the area you want to view.

Too costly to maintain? Since when has cost ever been an issue for the government?
Donated frames? Out with the old in with the new is more like it.

They tell you they quit flying them and they show you a few old airframes and thats proof?

Ummm you where complaining and now you seem to not of looked at my links and basically throwen the research in my face. I've been looking at the info the documents that have been declassified and provided what i though was a number of options. one that included a new plane that would of replaced the 71. i agree there is things that the 71 could do. Picture of a golf ball from 60 000ft that only high alt planes can do. drones do provied intel but at a much slower pace then the 71's.

there are a large number of issues with the 71 and if it could still be flying. Not that it isn't possible but HIGHLY unlikely. How about you do some research or look at the links that are provided. The websites I referanced alows you to see the HIGH number of airframes that are accounted for and I can say with almost 100% faith that all the airframes are accounted for.

i understand that a number of your comments where directed at gfad but please take into consideration what your saying. you admit to a lack of time spent in the aviation forums but still shoot off at the last part of your post. With that lack of time (which I hoep you can spend more on here) comes unfamilartiy with the types of posts that are regualer on here and how little some of posters do know. We try to educate but unforunately most of the time people resort to angry comments and personal attack.

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Ummm you were complaining and now you seem to not of looked at my links and basically thrown the research in my face.

I dont think I complained.
I didnt mean to throw research in your face, I only tried to give you my opinion.
I even qualified my opinion by pointing out that I do not follow the aircraft forum.

I've been looking at the info the documents that have been declassified

THe key part of that line is documents that have been declassified.
We have no idea what has been kept a secret, what wasnt declassified.
We have no idea how many SR-71s were really produced, do we?
Unless you stood at the end of the assembly line and counted every one as it came out, there is no way of determining how factual the documents that have been declassifid are.

i agree there is things that the 71 could do. Picture of a golf ball from 60 000ft that only high alt planes can do. drones do provied intel but at a much slower pace then the 71's.
So we agree, the SR-71 had (HAS) capabilities superior to drones or satelites. Speed accuracy and flexability primary.

there are a large number of issues with the 71 and if it could still be flying. Not that it isn't possible but HIGHLY unlikely.
Well, I dont think that cost is an issue, like I said earlier. The government has no problem spending any amount of money.

We try to educate but unforunately most of the time people resort to angry comments and personal attack.

I appreciate you trying to educate me, that is why I am here, to leaern. I didnt mean to insult you I just wanted to express my views.
The SR-71 may very well be retired, the point is really moot to be honest with you. I dont care what airplanes they have flying over my head, as long as they arent dropping bombs on me.

[edit on 12-3-2007 by 11Bravo]

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Well then I guess this post goes under the file information that it maybe possible in the black bird is flying. Even though the evidence is stack againest it.

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 02:05 PM
link   
a simple question, or two:

when has the govt EVER "retired" ANY piece of equipment without a tried adn tested replacement in service?

when has the govt EVER told us 'the whole truth" about anything?

just pionts to consider i guess and they seem applicable here.

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 02:15 PM
link   
One thing to remember that many of the SR-71's and A-12 donated were taken apart and put back together whent hey got to whatever museum they were designated to. Alot of them had thier wings cut simply to make the transport and thus will NEVER be able to fly again.

I do not think they are currently flying the SR-71 in any incarnation. As a poster pointed out we do not know beyond a shadow of a doubt the tru production numbers of the aircraft, and one or two may not be accounted for.

It is possible that they have a few left in flying condition, but I doubt it highly. The cost of keeping 1-2 a/c on operational status would be prohibitive. Its not just the a/c, its the crews, the special tankers, deploying it, flight proficiency etc.

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Damocles
a simple question, or two:

when has the govt EVER "retired" ANY piece of equipment without a tried and tested replacement in service?

when has the govt EVER told us 'the whole truth" about anything?

just points to consider i guess and they seem applicable here.

Thats too simple of logic Damocles.

Add to that the fact that 'they' have no problem spending 'our' money, and I think it throws the whole retired SR-71 claim into limbo.

Why would they claim the SR-71 is retired if it isnt?
I dont know, but I can think of a reason or two.

Do I care? Does it make an ounce of difference in anything?
Not really.

<<   2  3 >>

join